[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Fri Oct 13 07:59:20 CDT 2017

Good morning all,
 I want to get this off and wish you a very happy day…everything is great here, tomorrow I will be driving my convertible in a parade in Orlando representing NASA…it should be fun...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun!!!! …:-) :-)  gabe

A commercial effort to get humans into orbit around Mars in the late 2020s now includes a sleek vehicle to send astronauts down to the surface of the Red Planet.The aerospace company Lockheed Martin late Thursday (Sept. 28) revealed new details for its Mars Base Camp plan <https://www.space.com/33692-mars-space-station-surface-missions.html>, an architecture aimed at building a crewed space station in orbit around the Red Planet that would support long-term exploration at Mars by astronauts on 1,000-day missions <>. Among the updates unveiled was a tantalizing design for a reusable, single-stage surface lander called the Mars Ascent/Descent Vehicle (MADV). [In Pictures: Lockheed Martin's Mars Base Camp Plan <https://www.space.com/38303-mars-base-camp-lockheed-martin-plan-pictures.html>]The MADV would attach to the space station, and travel to and from the Martian surface via supersonic retropropulsion, which uses rocket engines to slow the lander from supersonic speeds during its descent, according to three Lockheed Martin engineers who discussed the lander in a presentation at the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Adelaide, Australia. Supersonic retropropulsion is the same approach used by SpaceX in to land its reusable Falcon 9 rocket boosters <https://www.space.com/37211-spacex-launches-lands-used-rocket-again.html>.

The surface landing vehicle for Lockheed Martin's Mars Base Camp is shown to the left of the space station in this artist's illustration.
Credit: Lockheed Martin
SpaceX launches its 15th mission of the year <https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/10/12/spacex-launches-its-15th-mission-of-the-year/>

 <https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/10/12/spacex-launches-its-15th-mission-of-the-year/>
Maintaining a brisk flight rate three days after its last launch, SpaceX sent a Falcon 9 booster powered by a reused first stage into orbit Wednesday evening from Florida with an Airbus-built communications satellite for SES and EchoStar.

A strong solar storm recently sparked a global aurora on Mars that was more than 25 times brighter than any ever seen before on the Red Planet, researchers say.

These images from the Imaging Ultraviolet Spectrograph instrument aboard NASA's MAVEN orbiter show the appearance of a bright aurora on Mars during a solar storm in September 2017. The purple-white colors show the intensity of ultraviolet light on Mars' night side before (left) and during (right) the event.
Credit: NASA/GSFC/Univ. of Colorado
NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) orbiter and Curiosity rover <https://www.space.com/18027-mars-rover-curiosity-amazing-photos-red-planet.html> both observed effects from the event on Sept. 11, 2017. Curiosity's Radiation Assessment Detector (RAD) instrument measured radiation levels on the Martian surface that were more than double any previously recorded, agency officials said."This is exactly the type of event both missions were designed to study, and it's the biggest we've seen on the surface so far," RAD principal investigator Don Hassler, of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, said in a statement. "It will improve our understanding of how such solar events affect the Martian environment, from the top of the atmosphere all the way down to the surface." [The Sun's Wrath: The Worst Solar Storms in History <https://www.space.com/12584-worst-solar-storms-sun-flares-history.html>]

NASA's Juno spacecraft captured this image of Jupiter and two of its biggest moons, Io (right) and Europa (left), on Sept. 1, 2017. This color-enhanced version was processed by citizen scientist Roman Tkachenko using data from the probe's JunoCam imager.

Credit: Roman Tkachenko/NASA/JPL-Caltech/SwRI/MSSS
The color-enhanced image — which Juno captured on Sept. 1, 2017, during its most recent close flyby of Jupiter — shows the 2,260-mile-wide (3,640 kilometers) moon Io <https://www.space.com/16419-io-facts-about-jupiters-volcanic-moon.html> hugging the gas giant's limb and the 1,900-mile-wide (3,100 km) Europa a bit farther out. NASA released the image on Friday (Oct. 6). Io and Europa are two of Jupiter's four Galilean moons, which are so named because famed Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei discovered them back in 1610. (The other two Galilean satellites are Callisto and Ganymede.) Io is the most volcanic object in the solar system, and astrobiologists regard the ocean-harboring Europa <https://www.space.com/15498-europa-sdcmp.html> as one of the best bets to host life beyond Earth. [More Amazing Jupiter Photos by Juno Citizen Scientists <https://www.space.com/34577-citizen-scientists-help-juno-at-jupiter-images.html>]