[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Wed Oct 4 22:28:30 CDT 2017

> Hi all,
> Good afternoon from somewhere above Colorado….I am on my way to Oregon, to Sisters & McMinnville to speak with the kids and an adult audience…so much preparation has been coordinated to make the trip worthwhile, it has been a pleasure to make this possible…it is still so strange to me how I am traveling all over the world speaking with kids, that it is so well received, and most importantly…it seems to always achieve the goal of giving kids hope…not only what the space program has to offer but more importantly that life should be fun and dreams do come true…well I am now on my way home, just had no time to finish this…so will do my best to get it completed in the two stops…Portland, Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Orlando…
> :-) :-) hi again, well, that didn’t go as expected…lol...everything has been so very busy, always fun...it is now Wednesday, Oct 4th and I have found some time to, hopefully, send this off…one of the cool things that just came up is the mission to Mars in May…this was actually scheduled March 2016 but due to payload issues, was delayed until May…the cool thing is you can go to the link, add your name, then print the boarding pass…see info below…I think it would be a fun project to follow along, once the kids sign up…they can research the mission, hopefully develop more of an interest in Mars…my visit to Oregon was awesome, so much fun…kids are kids…and we always seem to have so much fun with the presentation...I get so much support from the teachers…I am always so thankful for all they do…I meet so many who genuinely care about the kids and do everything they can to make learning a positive experience for them…I want to get this off as it is again getting late….… wishing you all a wonderful day…. we have to always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, make each day special, smile & have fun! Gabe
>
> I know I have no been very good at getting out the newsletter but with so much overseas traveling, then the hurricane and no time or access to the internet…we lost power and internet for about 8 days…we  were very fortunate with only very minor damage but the clean up effort was immense with 8 days of 11 hours a day cleaning up the debris from the storm….everything is back to A-OK :-) and hopefully I can get back to sending news more regularly….

> [...]

Another Chance to Put Your Name on Mars
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/name_chip_main-opt.jpg>
NASA's InSight lander will travel to Mars next year. When it does, it will be carrying two microchips bearing the names of members of the public.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
 <applewebdata://5FABDD0A-94F8-41CC-B091-D022A47C34A5>
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/name_chip_2.jpg>
An example of a "boarding pass" that members of the public can download by participating in NASA's Frequent Fliers program. With each NASA mission that flies their names, individuals can accumulate "miles" on their boarding pass.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
When it lands on Mars in November of 2018, NASA's InSight lander will be carrying several science instruments -- along with hundreds of thousands of names from members of the public. In 2015, nearly 827,000 people signed up to add their names to a silicon microchip onboard the robotic spacecraft. NASA is now adding a second microchip, giving the public another chance to send their names to Mars. New submissions will be accepted through Nov. 1, 2017, at the following link: https://mars.nasa.gov/syn/insight <https://mars.nasa.gov/syn/insight> "Mars continues to excite space enthusiasts of all ages," said Bruce Banerdt, the InSight mission's principal investigator at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "This opportunity lets them become a part of the spacecraft that will study the inside of the Red Planet.” This fly-your-name opportunity comes with "frequent flier" points reflecting an individual's personal participation in NASA's exploration of Mars. These points span multiple missions and multiple decades. Participants who sent their names on the previous InSight opportunity in 2015 can download a "boarding pass" and see their "frequent flier" miles. As part of this frequent flier program, a chip carrying the names of 1.38 million people also flew aboard the first flight of NASA's Orion spacecraft in 2014. NASA is building Orion to carry astronauts to deep space destinations that will enable future missions to Mars. After InSight, the next opportunity to earn frequent flier points will be NASA's Exploration Mission-1, the first flight bringing together the Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft to travel thousands of miles beyond the Moon in preparation for human missions to Mars and beyond. InSight will be the first mission to explore Mars' deep interior. The spacecraft will set down a seismometer to detect marsquakes and meteor strikes, using the seismic energy of these phenomena to study material far below the Martian surface. It also will deploy a self-hammering heat probe that will burrow deeper into the ground than any previous device on the Red Planet. These and other InSight investigations will improve our understanding about the formation and evolution of all rocky planets, including Earth. nSight is scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, in May of 2018. For more information on InSight, visit: https://nasa.gov/insight <https://nasa.gov/insight>