[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Tue Oct 27 06:13:00 CDT 2015

Good morning all,
 I hope your week is going well…I am sure many of you are preparing for Halloween parties and I know the kids are excited….I have been getting allot of emails & FB questions from the kids about the asteroid coming near Earth on Halloween…while it will be “very close” in space distance it will actually be about 300,000 miles (480,000 kilometers) from earth…and the 1,300-foot-wide (400-meter) asteroid is no threat…it can be seen but it will take a telescope because it is very faint…the visit to Samuel Gaines Academy on Friday was great. I did 5 presentations, three in the afternoon and two in the evening….the kids were awesome and I think they had fun….I want to thank Andrea for all her help in arranging the schedule so I could see as many kids as possible…we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun…gabe

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/edu_what_is_iss_0.jpg>

Share on facebook <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-to-air-briefing-on-two-upcoming-spacewalks-by-us-astronauts/#>Share on twitter <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-to-air-briefing-on-two-upcoming-spacewalks-by-us-astronauts/#>Share on google_plusone_share <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-to-air-briefing-on-two-upcoming-spacewalks-by-us-astronauts/#>Share on pinterest_share <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-to-air-briefing-on-two-upcoming-spacewalks-by-us-astronauts/#>More Sharing Services <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-tv-to-air-briefing-on-two-upcoming-spacewalks-by-us-astronauts/#>
NASA TV to Air Two Upcoming Spacewalks by U.S. Astronauts
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/m15-151.jpg>
Expedition 45 commander Scott Kelly and flight engineer Kjell Lindgren prepare their extravehicular mobility unit spacesuits and tools in the Quest airlock. Kelly and Lindgren will use the spacesuits for two upcoming spacewalks outside the International Space Station on Oct. 28 and Nov. 6, 2015.
Credits: NASA
Two U.S. astronauts will venture outside the space station’s Quest airlock on Wednesday, Oct. 28, and Friday, Nov. 6, to perform a pair of spacewalks in support of space station assembly and maintenance. Expedition 45 commander Scott Kelly <https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly> and flight engineer Kjell Lindgren <https://twitter.com/astro_kjell> of NASA will conduct both spacewalks, the first of their careers, and the 189th and 190th of the space station.

The spacewalks flank the 15th anniversary of continuous human presence aboard the space station, which is Nov. 2.
The first spacewalk on Oct. 28 is the 32nd U.S. spacewalk, and will focus on station upgrades and maintenance tasks, including installing a thermal cover on the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, which is a state-of-the-art particle physics detector that has been attached to the station since 2011. NASA TV coverage will begin at 6:45 a.m., with the spacewalk scheduled to begin at 8:10 a.m.
The second spacewalk on Nov. 6 is the 33rd U.S. spacewalk, and will attempt to restore the port truss ammonia cooling system to its original configuration. A spacewalk conducted in November 2012 tried to isolate a leak in the truss’ cooling supply, but the leak was subsequently traced to a different component. NASA TV coverage will begin at 5:45 a.m., with the spacewalk scheduled to begin at 7:10 a.m.
For NASA TV downlink information, schedules and to view the news briefing, visit:  http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv> For more information about the International Space Station, its research and crew, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/station <http://www.nasa.gov/station>

Veil Nebula Supernova Remnant
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/hs-2015-29-a-xlarge_web.jpg>
NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has unveiled in stunning detail a small section of the expanding remains of a massive star <http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/hubble-zooms-in-on-shrapnel-from-an-exploded-star> that exploded about 8,000 years ago.

Called the Veil Nebula, the debris is one of the best-known supernova remnants, deriving its name from its delicate, draped filamentary structures. The entire nebula is 110 light-years across, covering six full moons on the sky as seen from Earth, and resides about 2,100 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus, the Swan.

This view is a mosaic of six Hubble pictures of a small area roughly two light-years across, covering only a tiny fraction of the nebula’s vast structure.

This close-up look unveils wisps of gas, which are all that remain of what was once a star 20 times more massive than our sun. The fast-moving blast wave from the ancient explosion is plowing into a wall of cool, denser interstellar gas, emitting light. The nebula lies along the edge of a large bubble of low-density gas that was blown into space by the dying star prior to its self-detonation.

Veil Nebula Supernova Remnant

Share on facebook <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#>Share on twitter <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#>Share on google_plusone_share <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#>Share on pinterest_share <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#>More Sharing Services <http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/hs-2015-29-a-xlarge_web.jpg>
NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has unveiled in stunning detail a small section of the Veil Nebula - expanding remains of a massive star that exploded about 8,000 years ago.

A Hubble View of Starburst Galaxy Messier 94
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/hubble_friday_102315.jpg>
This image shows the galaxy Messier 94, which lies in the small northern constellation of the Hunting Dogs, about 16 million light-years away.

Within the bright ring or starburst ring around Messier 94, new stars are forming at a high rate and many young, bright stars are present within it.
The cause of this peculiarly shaped star-forming region is likely a pressure wave going outwards from the galactic center, compressing the gas and dust in the outer region. The compression of material means the gas starts to collapse into denser clouds. Inside these dense clouds, gravity pulls the gas and dust together until temperature and pressure are high enough for stars to be born.

A Tale of Two Hemispheres
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia18340-1041.jpg>
Enceladus is a world divided. To the north, the terrain is covered in impact craters, much like other icy moons. But to the south, the record of impact cratering is much more sparse, and instead the land is covered in fractures, ropy or hummocky terrain and long, linear features.

Lit terrain seen here is on the trailing side of Enceladus. North on Enceladus is up. The image was taken in visible green light with the Cassini spacecraft narrow-angle camera on July 27, 2015.
The view was obtained at a distance of approximately 70,000 miles (112,000 kilometers) from Enceladus and at a Sun-Enceladus-spacecraft, or phase, angle of 25 degrees. Image scale is 0.4 miles (0.7 kilometers) per pixel.
The Cassini mission is a cooperative project of NASA, ESA (the European Space Agency) and the Italian Space Agency. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the mission for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. The Cassini orbiter and its two onboard cameras were designed, developed and assembled at JPL. The imaging operations center is based at the Space Science Institute in Boulder, Colorado.

For more information about the Cassini-Huygens mission visit http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov <http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/> or http://www.nasa.gov/cassini <http://www.nasa.gov/cassini>. The Cassini imaging team homepage is at http://ciclops.org <http://ciclops.org/> .