[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Fri Oct 30 01:07:07 CDT 2015

Good morning all,
        I hope you have had a great week and will be looking to the weekend…I would think so many parties in schools today and of course over the weekend…I was kind of surprised Halloween is so big overseas….for some reason, I thought it was a US thing….always learning, right? :-) I hope you had time to share some of the spacewalks with the kids, these are very special and great for imaginations…which can turn into dreams, then goals…then a new astronaut :-) :-)  Remember the asteroid on the 31st too….might be able to see it with a telescope…I get so many amazing letters and cards from kids…I treasure each of them…I know kids write from their hearts….I got this note…Dear Mr. Gabe. So I guess you’re trying to say is even if I’ve always gotten Ds in math, I COULD STILL BE A SCIENTIST (not a good speller eithir) I’ve always wanted to be a scienceist. I’m totoly going to mager in cologe with sicence. Thanks for everything-Keelan…this was sent to NASA’s Speakers Bureau by such kind & caring teacher…Kathie…I am waiting to get the actual letters so I can respond but, to me, very heartwarming. So many people tell me I’m crazy for doing this, that I should charge schools but they don’t understand the very special feelings that this gives as well as the thousands of other wonderful letters from the kids or seeing excitement and hope in their eyes…we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun…gabe

Spacewalk Selfie
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/iss045e082998.jpg>
	Expedition 45 Commander Scott Kelly took this photograph during a spacewalk on Oct. 28, 2015. Sharing the image on social media <https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/659755675757715456>, Kelly wrote, "#SpaceWalkSelfie Back on the grid! Great 	first spacewalk yesterday. Now on to the next one next week. #YearInSpace"

This was the first spacewalk for both Kelly and Flight Engineer Kjell Lindgren; the two will venture outside the International Space Station for the second time on Friday, Nov. 6. The two spacewalks were scheduled around milestones in space. Today, Oct. 29, Kelly becomes the U.S. astronaut who has lived in space the longest during a single U.S. spaceflight <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/onthestation/facts_and_figures.html#singleflight>, and on Monday, Nov. 2, the crew celebrates the 15th year of a continuous human presence in space aboard the station <http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/space-station-crew-celebrates-15-years-of-human-space-exploration-in-low-earth-orbit>.

During the 7-hour and 16-minute spacewalk <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2015/10/28/nasa-astronauts-complete-their-first-spacewalk/>, Kelly and Lindgren applied a thermal cover on the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer; applied grease to a number of components in one of the latching ends of the Canadarm2 robotic arm; and began work to rig power and data system cables for the future installation of a docking port to the station that will be used for the arrival of the Boeing Starliner CST-100 and SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft.

LL Ori and the Orion Nebula
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/724329main_hubble_feature_full_full.jpg>
This esthetic close-up of cosmic clouds and stellar winds features LL Orionis, interacting with the Orion Nebula flow. Adrift in Orion's stellar nursery and still in its formative years, variable star LL Orionis produces a wind more energetic than the wind from our own middle-aged Sun. As the fast stellar wind runs into slow moving gas a shock front is formed, analogous to the bow wave of a boat moving through water or a plane traveling at supersonic speed.

The small, arcing, graceful structure just above and left of center is LL Ori's cosmic bow shock, measuring about half a light-year across. The slower gas is flowing away from the Orion Nebula's hot central star cluster, the Trapezium, located off the upper left corner of the picture. In three dimensions, LL Ori's wrap-around shock front is shaped like a bowl that appears brightest when viewed along the "bottom" edge. The beautiful picture is part of a large mosaic view of the complex stellar nursery in Orion, filled with a myriad of fluid shapes associated with star formation.

Voyager Squashes View of Solar System
This artist's rendering depicts NASA's Voyager 2 spacecraft as it studies the outer limits of the heliosphere--a magnetic 'bubble' around the solar system that is created by the solar wind.
The magnetic bubble is not spherical, but pressed inward in the southern hemisphere, according to recent data published as part of a series of papers in the July 3, 2008 issue of Nature. These findings help build a picture of how the sun interacts with the surrounding interstellar medium.
The twin Voyager spacecraft were launched in August and September 1977, respectively.