[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle fordgabe at netzero.com
Fri Oct 23 05:26:39 CDT 2015

Good morning all,
 I hope your week is going well and wishing you a very happy day as well as weekend ahead….of course, one day at time….as I mention to the kids…the single most important day of our lives is the one we are in….as we pass through it we create our past and build out future…a happy day means a happy past and together our future is always optimistic….and the cycle continually builds…on Wednesday I visited Narcoossee Elementary & Middle schools….it was so much fun as it was a combination of smaller groups and one large group with about 400 8th grade students….I usually try to eat lunch with the students and Amy, who planned itinerary the day, arranged for me to have lunch with about 20 students…it really turned fun as I was able to just talk with them about many different topics in a small, personal setting…the kids are great…in the afternoon I spoke with 400 8th graders but to me it looked like 4,000 :-) :-) we were in a large auditorium and it was filled front to back, side to side… a little intimidating because I don’t get to speak with this age group very often and know most are  suspect about the need to be there….then to make it more interesting….there was no audio support for any of the videos…the videos I show have sound for both narration and music which add so much to the visual but due to a glitch in an elaborate audio/video system…no sound…so after about 5 minutes it became apparent this would be different…my biggest concern is always to keep the kids interested and have fun while they are learning and to me, the videos with sound are so important... but, in life, there are always challenges and the idea is to make the most of it, stay positive and do the best we can. Amy came to my rescue as best she could throughout the presentation... she kept finding different ways to help, never getting discouraged, and always staying upbeat…I think the kids did great, they hung in there very well and stayed engaged despite the audio problems…hoping to get some feedback as to what the kids said about it after I left…I can’t thank Amy enough for all her help and even more so for hanging in there with me when we were having the difficulties…today I will be at Samuel Gaines Academy for middle school presentations during the day and k-8 in the evening…I know how much the teachers have to do to prepare and of course they want everything to be perfect…I so appreciate all they do and am so in awe of their tremendous dedication…we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun…gabe

Black Hole Friday
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/592260main_blackhole-outflow.jpg>
In this artist's illustration, turbulent winds of gas swirl around a black hole. Some of the gas is spiraling inward toward the black hole, but another part is blown away.

A black hole is a place in space where gravity pulls so much that even light can not get out. The gravity is so strong because matter has been squeezed into a tiny space. This can happen when a star is dying.

Because no light can get out, people can't see black holes. They are invisible. Space telescopes with special tools can help find black holes. The special tools can see how stars that are very close to black holes act differently than other stars.

How Big Are Black Holes?
Black holes can be big or small. Scientists think the smallest black holes are as small as just one atom. These black holes are very tiny but have the mass of a large mountain. Mass is the amount of matter, or "stuff," in an object.

More information on black holes. <http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/k-4/stories/what-is-a-black-hole-k4.html#.VHiZMWPN6So>

NASA's Space Launch System Design 'Right on Track' for Journey to Mars
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/sls-70mt-dac3-orange-night-prelaunch-uhr2.jpg>
 Back to Gallery <http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/multimedia/images.html>
Artist concept of the SLS Block 1 configuration.

For the first time in almost 40 years, a NASA human-rated rocket has completed all steps needed to clear a critical design review <http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-completes-critical-design-review-for-space-launch-system> (CDR). The agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) <http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/index.html> is the first vehicle designed to meet the challenges of the journey to Mars and the first exploration class rocket since the Saturn V.

SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever built and, with the agency’s Orion spacecraft, will launch America into a new era of exploration to destinations beyond Earth’s orbit.

New Perspective on a Galaxy Cluster
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/archives_ms0735.png>
The galaxy cluster MS 0735.6+7421 is home to one of the most powerful eruptions ever observed. X-rays detected by NASA's Chandra X-Ray Observatory (blue) show the hot gas that comprises much of the mass of this enormous object. Within the Chandra data, holes, or cavities, can be seen. These cavities were created by an outburst from a supermassive black hole at the center of the cluster, which ejected the enormous jets detected in radio waves (pink) detected by the Very Large Array. These data have been combined with optical data from the Hubble Space Telescope of galaxies in the cluster and stars in the field of view (orange).

This image is part of a collection of new images released from the Chandra archive <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/banking-x-ray-data-for-the-future.html> to celebrate American Archive Month. Archives, in their many forms, save information from today that people will want to access and study in the future. This is a critical function of all archives, but it is especially important when it comes to storing data from today's modern telescopes. Chandra has collected data for over sixteen years on thousands of different objects throughout the universe. Once the data is processed, all of the data goes into an archive and is available to the public.

Searching for Habitable Worlds

 Back to Gallery <http://www.nasa.gov/content/kepler-multimedia>
The sweep of NASA Kepler mission’s search for small, habitable planets in the last six years. The first planet smaller than Earth, Kepler-20e, was discovered in December 2011 orbiting a Sun-like star slightly cooler and smaller than our sun every six days. But it is scorching hot and unable to maintain an atmosphere or a liquid water ocean. Kepler-22b was announced in the same month, as the first planet in the habitable zone of a sun-like star, but is more than twice the size of Earth and therefore unlikely to have a solid surface. Kepler-186f was discovered in April 2014 and is the first Earth-size planet found in the habitable zone of a small, cool M dwarf about half the size and mass of our sun. Kepler-452b is the first near-Earth-Size planet in the habitable zone of a star very similar to the sun.

Credit: NASA Ames/W. Stenzel
Last Updated: July 30, 2015
Editor: Michele Johnson