[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 26 07:05:53 CDT 2015

Good morning all,
I really hadn’t planned on sending any more emails from here but have not had any time at home so want to get you some updates as it has been quite a while since I sent anything...I think most schools are back, I know a few still have another week or so but for those who did not see it, our contract was changed and our company had to downsize. Unfortunately, many of us lost our position so as of Sep 18th, I will no longer be working at KSC. It has been the most wonderful experience anyone could imagine...I am so very grateful for the awesome adventure this has created, how we have shared so much, the amazing opportunities so many of you had thru VIP passes I was able to get to share shuttle launches, and just the day to day magic of being here...I will stay assigned to NASA’s speakers bureau and still plan to visit schools to speak with the kids...also will continue the group email so nothing should change...please let me know if you would like me to visit your school as I have been getting quite a few requests and I’m trying to sort out a schedule.... I hope you were able to see the launch to the ISS, if not you can go to NASA TV to see the replay…I hope you can share it with the kids… as well as see the capture and docking…I love the pictures of the Auroras…it is something I hope to see in person, maybe in Norway in Nov/Dec. I will add a memory of KSC to share with you wishing you a wonderful day....we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, let those we care about most know, make each day special, smile and have fun....Gabe

 I will be sending all future correspondence from gabe at educatemotivate.com<mailto:gabe at educatemotivate.com> please use this when responding or scheduling school visits.... thank you so much...

[cid:e3917ef5-5fc7-447d-8124-e56466d2f88c at mail.nasa.gov]    [cid:image003.jpg at 01D0DFD6.06C19650]
The earth from the moon...........These are the kids from South Africa who changed my life in so many ways...it was where I did my first school presentation which went so well I decided to do some in the states....and now it is such a major part of my life...so much thanks to my very special friend, Anita, who like so any of you, such a wonderful teacher....created an environment where the kids and I corresponded daily, sharing so much and impacting each other’s lives for ever ☺

[cid:4f7022af-e612-44af-a54f-bcc23cfe95aa at mail.nasa.gov]

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)’s H-IIB rocket launched at 7:50 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, Aug. 19, 2015. Credit: JAXA
Right on schedule, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)’s H-IIB rocket launched at 7:50 a.m. EDT on Wednesday, Aug. 19 from the Tanegashima Space Center in southern Japan. At the time of launch, the space station was flying 250 miles above the Atlantic Ocean east of Brazil.Approximately 15 minutes after launch, the HTV-5 cargo spacecraft successfully separated from the rocket and began its five-day rendezvous with the International Space Station. The spacecraft is carrying more than 9,500 pounds of research and supplies<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/htv5_launch> for the six-person station crew, including the CALorimetric Electron Telescope (CALET) investigation, an astrophysics mission that will search for signatures of dark matter and provide the highest energy direct measurements of the cosmic ray electron spectrum.JAXA and NASA teams adjusted the cargo manifest to deliver additional food supplies and critical components lost in the failure of the seventh SpaceX commercial resupply services mission. The delivery will ensure the crew has plenty of food through the end of 2015. HTV-5 is delivering two multifiltration beds that filter contaminants from the station’s water supply, a Fluids Control and Pump Assembly used for urine processing to support water recycling, a Wring Collector used in conjunction with the on-orbit toilet, a Respiratory Support Pack used in space to provide breathing assistance to an astronaut in the event lung function were impaired and space suit support equipment used during spacewalks.On Monday, Aug. 24, JAXA Flight Engineer Kimiya Yui will use the Canadarm2 robotic arm to capture the unpiloted HTV spacecraft at approximately 6:55 a.m. NASA TV coverage Friday will begin at 5:15 a.m. NASA Flight Engineer Kjell Lindgren will provide assistance as necessary. The HTV will spend five weeks attached to the Earth-facing port of the Harmony module on the international outpost.Follow the conversation on Twitter via @Space_Station and the hashtag #HTV5. To learn more about all the ways to connect and collaborate with NASA, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/connect

Aurora's Colorful Veil Over Earth
[cid:35dc1f77-61b7-44c9-bd66-1f7d6dde03ef at mail.nasa.gov]
NASA astronaut Scott Kelly (@StationCDRKelly<https://twitter.com/StationCDRKelly/status/632560583976484865>) shared this photograph on social media, taken from the International Space Station on August 15, 2015. Kelly wrote, "#Aurora trailing a colorful veil over Earth this morning. Good morning from @space_station<https://twitter.com/Space_Station>! #YearInSpace"
The dancing lights of the aurora provide spectacular views, but also capture the imagination of scientists who study incoming energy and particles from the sun. Aurora are one effect of such energetic particles, which can speed out from the sun both in a steady stream called the solar wind and due to giant eruptions known as coronal mass ejections or CMEs. After a trip toward Earth that can last two to three days, the solar particles and magnetic fields cause the release of particles already trapped near Earth, which in turn trigger reactions in the upper atmosphere in which oxygen and nitrogen molecules release photons of light. The result: the Northern and Southern lights.