[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Wed Sep 10 06:20:19 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 The visit to Tynes Elem & Grove Park Elem went great yesterday....unfortunately has some technical problems at Grove Park so the kids didn't get to see everything but I hope they enjoyed it....I had had hundreds of questions and that is always a good sign that they were listening and retained it to ask questions...the kids were K-4 and even at that young age their minds grasp much more than most of us realize. I really enjoy being with the kids, even had a little time to make a classroom visit which is so nice because I can spend more individual time with them....thanks so much to Liane and Stephanie for all the did to prepare for the visit and had the kids every excited before I arrived...wishing you all a wonderful day, we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun...gabe

 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/imageiss040e117941.jpg>

Flying Through an Aurora
European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst posted this photograph taken from the International Space Station to social media<https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/505282945272524800> on Aug. 29, 2014, writing, "words can't describe how it feels flying through an #aurora. I wouldn't even know where to begin...."
Crewmembers on the space station photograph the Earth<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/86.html> from their unique point of view located 200 miles above the surface. Photographs record how the planet is changing over time, from human-caused changes like urban growth and reservoir construction, to natural dynamic events such as hurricanes, floods and volcanic eruptions. Crewmembers have been photographing Earth from space since the early Mercury missions beginning in 1961. The continuous images taken from the space station ensure this record remains unbroken.
On Tuesday, Sept. 9 aboard the space station<http://www.nasa.gov/content/station-trio-prepares-for-departure-as-long-term-science-continues/>, cosmonaut Max Suraev of Roscosmos takes the helm when Expedition 40 Commander Steve Swanson hands over control during a Change of Command Ceremony at 5:15 p.m. EDT. Suraev will lead Expedition 41 and stay in orbit until November with Gerst and NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman. Soyuz Commander Alexander Skvortsov, Swanson and Flight Engineer Oleg Artemyev will complete their mission Wednesday, Sept. 10 at 7:01 p.m. when they undock in their Soyuz TMA-12M spacecraft from the Poisk docking compartment for a parachute-assisted landing on the steppe of Kazakhstan a little less than 3.5 hours later.

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/science-continues-on-orbital-lab-while-trio-prepares-for-departure/index.html>
Space Station Trio Prepares for Wednesday Departure
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/science-continues-on-orbital-lab-while-trio-prepares-for-departure/index.html>
NASA astronaut Steve Swanson handed over command of the International Space Station to Max Suraev Tuesday at 5:15 p.m. EDT. Swanson and his Expedition 39/40 crewmates, Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev, are due to undock their Soyuz on Wednesday at 7:01 p.m., landing in Kazakhstan about 3-1/2 hours later. NASA TV coverage of hatch closure begins at 3:15 p.m. and returns for undocking at 6:45 p.m. Landing coverage begins at 9:15 p.m. with deorbit burn scheduled at 9:30 p.m. and landing at 10:23 p

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-identifying-candidate-asteroids-for-redirect-mission/>
Identifying Candidate Asteroids for Redirect Mission
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-identifying-candidate-asteroids-for-redirect-mission/>
NASA is on the hunt to add potential candidate target asteroids for the agency's Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM). The robotic mission will identify, capture and redirect a near-Earth asteroid to a stable orbit around the moon. In the 2020s, astronauts will explore the asteroid and return to Earth with samples. This will test and advance new technologies and spaceflight experience needed to take humans to Mars in the 2030s.
<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/september/hubble-finds-supernova-companion-star-after-two-decades-of-searching/index.html>
Hubble Finds Supernova Companion Star
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/september/hubble-finds-supernova-companion-star-after-two-decades-of-searching/index.html>
Using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, astronomers have discovered a companion star to a rare type of supernova. The discovery confirms a long-held theory that the supernova, dubbed SN 1993J, occurred inside what is called a binary system, where two interacting stars caused a cosmic explosion. "This is like a crime scene, and we finally identified the robber," said Alex Filippenko, professor of astronomy at University of California (UC) at Berkeley. "The companion star stole a bunch of hydrogen before the primary star exploded."