[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon Sep 8 06:04:41 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a great weekend, they go so fast, we must be sure to enjoy them as well as every day. Tomorrow I will be visiting two schools, Tynes elem and Grove Park elem...it will be my first school visits this year and I really look forward to spending time with the kids....this Wed, three astronauts will be leaving the Space Station and NASA TV will have live coverage as well as replays....I hope you can share it with the kids....for the NASA TV schedule and coordinate information, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv for all the scheduled events...wishing you a wonderful day...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, make each day special, smile & have fun.... Gabe

NASA Television to Broadcast Sept. 10 Return of Space Station Crew<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwOTA1LjM1NjkxNjYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDkwNS4zNTY5MTY2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQ5MDA2JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/september/nasa-television-to-broadcast-sept-10-return-of-space-station-crew><http://www.nasa.gov/content/station-trio-preps-for-departure-as-expedition-40-nears-end/index.html>
Trio Preps for Departure as Expedition 40 Nears End
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/station-trio-preps-for-departure-as-expedition-40-nears-end/index.html>
As the Expedition 40 crew members head into their final weekend together aboard the International Space Station, the six astronauts and cosmonauts spent Friday preparing for the arrival of a cargo craft and Wednesday's departure of three crewmates after nearly six months in space. Soyuz Commander Skvortsov, Artemyev and Expedition 40 Commander Steve Swanson will undock their Soyuz from the Poisk module on Wednesday, Sept. 10 at 7:02 p.m. for a parachute-assisted landing on the steppe of Kazakhstan a little less than 3.5-hours later.

 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/potw1435a.jpg>

Hubble Sees Spiral in Serpens
This new NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope image shows a beautiful spiral galaxy known as PGC 54493, located in the constellation of Serpens (The Serpent). This galaxy is part of a galaxy cluster that has been studied by astronomers exploring an intriguing phenomenon known as weak gravitational lensing.
This effect, caused by the uneven distribution of matter (including dark matter) throughout the Universe, has been explored via surveys such as the Hubble Medium Deep Survey. Dark matter is one of the great mysteries in cosmology. It behaves very differently from ordinary matter as it does not emit or absorb light or other forms of electromagnetic energy - hence the term "dark."
Even though we cannot observe dark matter directly, we know it exists. One prominent piece of evidence for the existence of this mysterious matter is known as the "galaxy rotation problem." Galaxies rotate at such speeds and in such a way that ordinary matter alone - the stuff we see - would not be able to hold them together. The amount of mass that is "missing" visibly is dark matter, which is thought to make up some 27 percent of the total contents of the Universe, with dark energy and normal matter making up the rest. PGC 55493 has been studied in connection with an effect known as cosmic shearing. This is a weak gravitational lensing effect that creates tiny distortions in images of distant galaxies.

View the Latest Edition of "This Week at NASA" (Published Sept. 5, 2014)
View the latest "This Week at NASA" produced by NASA Television for features on agency news and activities. Stories in this program include:
*       GPM Data Released
*       Earthquake Data From the Air
*       Next ISS Crew Trains
*       Talking STEM With Students
*       OSIRIS-REx Time Capsule
To watch this edition of "This Week at NASA" dated Sept. 5, 2014, click on the image below:
 <http://youtu.be/na-jdsUWAGE>
Watch the Video
You also may access this edition of "This Week at NASA" at: http://youtu.be/na-jdsUWAGE
This Week at NASA" and other NASA features are available at http://www.nasa.gov under NASA Multimedia, http://www.youtube.com/nasatelevision and iTunes.