[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri May 23 12:06:47 CDT 2014

Good afternoon all,
 The visit to Inwood and Elbert Elementary went very well yesterday, especially the 3rd thru 5th grade at Inwood as I was able to spend over two hours with them when the usual allotted time is one hour. It gave me a chance to answer so many questions, spend individual "hang out" time with them and listen to them to share their views...which I rarely have because of limited time. I would like to thank the teachers at both schools, especially Jackie, who was so instrumental in setting everything up.  I know the school year is winding down and you may not have much free time but I hope you can involve the kids with participating in the favorite Moon Image, link below, as they will be able to see some very interesting pictures and take part in a fun thing for everyone. Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend and A Very Happy Memorial Day Celebration as we honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice to keep our country free and fight for our way of life...we should all take a few minutes to be thankful we live in such a great country and remind ourselves to never take it for granted...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, smile & have fun! gabe

NASA Invites Public to Select Favorite Moon Image for Lunar Orbiter Anniversary Collection<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIzLjMyNDYzMTkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMy4zMjQ2MzE5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODg0MzgxJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasa-invites-public-to-select-favorite-moon-image-for-lunar-orbiter-anniversary>

This Week @ NASA, May 23, 2014<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIzLjMyNDY2MDQxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMy4zMjQ2NjA0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODg0NDM4JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/this-week-nasa-may-23-2014>

My buddy, Bill, took these photos of the Atlas V launch today of a NROL-33 military spacecraft. These were taken from a roof in the KSC Press Site Area. Very different, I hope you will have time to check them out and share with the kids... Atlas V Launch Photos<file:///\\iscfile\Engineering%20Services\ISC_Review_Packages\Work%20Related%20Photos\Atlas%20V%20Launch%205-22-14>

NASA Television Coverage Set for Next Space Station Crew Launch<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIwLjMyMzUxMjgxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMC4zMjM1MTI4MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODgyMTAyJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasa-television-coverage-set-for-next-space-station-crew-launch> NASA Television will broadcast prelaunch activities for the next three crew members flying to the International Space Station, followed by extensive live coverage of their launch and docking to the orbital laboratory Wednesday, May 28.

Preparations for Expedition 40/41 Launch to International Space Station<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIxLjMyMzg2NTIxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMS4zMjM4NjUyMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODgyODQwJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/preparations-for-expedition-4041-launch-to-international-space-station>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/reid.jpg?itok=Q85RW9WR]
Three new Expedition 40/41 crew members are counting down to their May 28, 2014 (U.S. time) launch to the orbital laboratory. The trio is in its crew quarters at the Cosmonaut Hotel in Baikonur, Kazakhstan, finalizing mission preparations. Soyuz Commander and cosmonaut Maxim Suraev, NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman and European astronaut Alexander Gerst will launch aboard the Soyuz TMA-13M spacecraft at 3:57 p.m. EDT from the Baikonur Cosmodrome. They are scheduled to dock to Rassvet after just four orbits at 9:48 p.m. returning the space station to its full complement of six crew members. Pictured here, Wiseman gives the thumbs up during launch preparations on May 19 in Kazakhstan. Image Credit: NASA

Destiny Laboratory Attached to International Space Station<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIyLjMyNDI3NjAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMi4zMjQyNzYwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODgzNzM1JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/destiny-laboratory-attached-to-international-space-station>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/sts098-331-017.jpg?itok=EHNg9J__]
On Feb. 10, 2001, the crews of the Space Shuttle Atlantis and the International Space Station successfully installed the U.S. Destiny Laboratory onto the station. In this photo, Destiny is moved by the shuttle's remote manipulator system (RMS) robot arm from its stowage position in the cargo bay of the Space Shuttle Atlantis. Astronaut Marsha Ivins began the work, using Atlantis' robotic arm to remove a station docking port, called Pressurized Mating Adapter 2 (PMA 2), to make room for Destiny. The adapter was removed from the station's Unity module and latched in a temporary position on the station's truss. Then, at 9:50 a.m. CST, astronauts Tom Jones and Bob Curbeam began a spacewalk that continued throughout the day, in tandem with Ivin's robotic arm work. Jones provided Ivins visual cues as she moved the adapter to its temporary position, and Curbeam removed protective launch covers and disconnected power and cooling cables between the Destiny lab and Atlantis. At 12:57 p.m., the lab was latched into position on the station, and soon a set of automatic bolts tightened to hold it permanently in place for years of space research. The lab added 3,800 cubic feet of volume to the station, increasing the onboard living space by 41 percent. The 2005 NASA Authorization Act designated the U.S segment of the space station as a national laboratory. As the nation's only national laboratory on-orbit, the space station National Lab will improve life on Earth, foster relationships among NASA, other federal entities, and the private sector, and advance science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education through utilization of the space station's unique capabilities as a permanent microgravity platform with exposure to the space environment. > Read more about research and technology aboard the International Space Station Image Credit: NASA

<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasas-wise-findings-poke-hole-in-black-hole-doughnut-theory/index.html>
Findings Poke Hole in Black Hole 'Doughnut' Theory
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasas-wise-findings-poke-hole-in-black-hole-doughnut-theory/index.html>
A survey of more than 170,000 supermassive black holes, using NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE), has astronomers reexamining a decades-old theory about the varying appearances of these interstellar objects. The unified theory of active, supermassive black holes, first developed in the late 1970s, was created to explain why black holes, though similar in nature, can look completely different. The unified model answers this question by proposing that every black hole is surrounded by a dusty, doughnut-shaped structure called a torus.

Western Sahara Viewed From International Space Station<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTIzLjMyNDYyOTcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUyMy4zMjQ2Mjk3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODg0MzgzJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/western-sahara-viewed-from-international-space-station>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/iss040e000788.jpg?itok=mRt_eYN_]
On May 23, 2014, Expedition 40 Commander Steve Swanson posted this photograph -- taken from the International Space Station -- to Instagram. Swanson noted, "Western Sahara - the contrast between the sand and the water is spectacular from here." Swanson uploaded the first image from space to Instagram on April 7. He began posting imagery to the social media site during his pre-flight training. > View Instagram imagery from the International Space Station The three Expedition 40 crew members aboard the International Space Station worked advanced science this week while awaiting a new trio, set to lift off on Wednesday, May 28. Soyuz Commander and cosmonaut Maxim Suraev, NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman and European astronaut Alexander Gerst will launch aboard the Soyuz TMA-13M spacecraft at 3:57 p.m. EDT (1:57 a.m. May 29 Baikonur time) from the Baikonur Cosmodrome. Image Credit: NASA