[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 7 06:31:10 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a great weekend, the event at SunNFun is always fun and it is a great opportunity to meet teachers as well as give you an idea of what is presented on school visits...thanks to Barbara for the invite...I'm trying to juggle visits to Miami & Missouri early next month so it is getting interesting...I hope I can work it out as I know the school year is winding down and there are the end of year state tests so many of you are very focused on getting the kids prepared. I've added quite a few new members so would like to remind everyone to go to the subject link for great info and educational sites geared towards different grade levels, a search engine to find anything related to NASA and under Multi-Media you can download  movies to share with the kids....I know, in your spare time :)  Wishing you a wonderful day, we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, keep things in perspective, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun! Gabe
Also in your "spare time" I hope you can get the kids involved in: "Take the Plunge: LADEE Impact Challenge." (see below)...

NASA Hubble Team Finds Monster 'El Gordo' Galaxy<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNDA0LjMwOTQzMzcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDQwNC4zMDk0MzM3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODU2NjY2JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-hubble-team-finds-monster-el-gordo-galaxy>  this is amazing, really mind boggling to me but so interesting...

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/14-096-el-gordo_0_0.jpg?itok=m5h8RXPO]
NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has weighed the largest known galaxy cluster in the distant universe, catalogued as ACT-CL J0102-4915, and found it definitely lives up to its nickname -- El Gordo (Spanish for "the fat one"). By measuring how much the cluster's gravity warps images of galaxies in the distant background, a team of astronomers has calculated the cluster's mass to be as much as 3 million billion times the mass of our sun. Hubble data show the galaxy cluster, which is 9.7 billion light-years away from Earth, is roughly 43 percent more massive than earlier estimates. The team used Hubble to measure how strongly the mass of the cluster warped space. Hubble's high resolution allowed measurements of so-called "weak lensing," where the cluster's immense gravity subtly distorts space like a funhouse mirror and warps images of background galaxies. The greater the warping, the more mass is locked up in the cluster. > More information Image Credit: NASA/ESA

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/take-the-plunge-ladee-impact-challenge/index.html>

Take the Plunge: LADEE Impact Challenge
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/take-the-plunge-ladee-impact-challenge/index.html>
NASA's Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE) spacecraft is gradually lowering its orbital altitude over the moon. LADEE will continue to make important science observations before its planned impact into the lunar surface later this month. When will it impact the lunar surface? NASA wants to hear your best guess! Anyone is eligible to enter the "Take the Plunge: LADEE Impact Challenge."
<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/april/nasa-space-assets-detect-ocean-inside-saturn-moon/index.html>

NASA Space Assets Detect Ocean Inside Saturn Moon
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/april/nasa-space-assets-detect-ocean-inside-saturn-moon/index.html>
NASA's Cassini spacecraft and Deep Space Network have uncovered evidence Saturn's moon Enceladus harbors a large underground ocean of liquid water, furthering scientific interest in the moon as a potential home to extraterrestrial microbes. Researchers theorized the presence of an interior reservoir of water in 2005 when Cassini discovered water vapor and ice spewing from vents near the moon's south pole.
<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/update/index.html>

'Space to Ground' Highlights New Crew on Station
 <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/update/index.html>
The "Space to Ground" web series, available every Friday, features a short wrap-up of the week's activities aboard the International Space Station that showcases the diversity of activities taking place aboard the world's only orbiting laboratory. If you have questions or comments, use #spacetoground to interact with us. You might just see them in one of our episodes!
<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/msl/curiosity-20140403/index.html>

Mars Rover Curiosity Scoping Out Next Study Area
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/msl/curiosity-20140403/index.html>
NASA's Curiosity Mars rover recorded this view of various rock types at waypoint called "the Kimberley" shortly after arriving at the location on April 2, 2014. The site offers a diversity of rock types exposed close together in a decipherable geological relationship to each other. The rover reached a vantage point for its cameras to survey four different types of rock intersecting in an area called "the Kimberley," after a region of western Australia.
<http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/fermi-data-tantalize-with-new-clues-to-dark-matter/index.html>

Fermi Data Tantalize With New Clues To Dark Matter
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/fermi-data-tantalize-with-new-clues-to-dark-matter/index.html>
A new study of gamma-ray light from the center of our galaxy makes the strongest case to date that some of this emission may arise from dark matter, an unknown substance making up most of the material universe. Scientists have developed new maps showing that the galactic center produces more high-energy gamma rays than can be explained by known sources and that this excess emission is consistent with some forms of dark matter.