[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 11 09:58:20 CDT 2014

Hi all,
 I want to quickly send this out in case you have an opportunity to check out Yuri's night or pass it to the kids to check it out at home...also if you are interested in the  (IGEW), it will give you a little more planning time....Have a wonderful weekend and of course enjoy today first :) We have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be thankful for the good in our lives, smile & have fun! Gabe

Yuri's Night Celebrations 2014
Come celebrate human spaceflight with the global annual celebration of Yuri's Night<http://yurisnight.net/>! Saturday, April 12, marks the anniversary of the first human in space, Yuri Gagarin (1961), and the first space shuttle flight (1981). Locations across our planet will be celebrating in unique ways, and Cape Canaveral has an assortment of activities for you to participate in. Check out these amazing events right here on the Space Coast.
   When: Friday, April 11
   What: Yuri's Night Kickoff<https://mcc.yurisnight.net/parties/2306-lsa-4-yuri-s-night-kick-off-event/> with the 4th International Workshop on Lunar Science Applications (LSA 4)
              Yuri's Night Central Florida International Space Apps Challenge Hang Out<https://mcc.yurisnight.net/parties/2362-central-florida-space-apps/>
   ----------
   When: Saturday, April 12
   What: Yuri's Night Space Coast Rocket Bike Pub Crawl<http://bike.yur.is/>
              Yuri's Night Soviet Block Wines<https://www.facebook.com/events/1413706245558404/>
POC: Ryan Kobrick, ryan at yurisnight.net<mailto:ryan at yurisnight.net>

Volunteers Needed for SWE-SC Introducing Girls to Engineering Workshop (IGEW)
Girls can become engineers too! This workshop will provide girls, third to sixth grades, with opportunities to do fun hands-on experiments related to several different engineering career fields. They also will be able to find out what different types of engineers do and will meet women engineers who will talk about how they became engineers. We also need volunteers to help with modules and other activities the day of the event.
   When: Saturday, May 3, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
   Where: Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy, 5625 Holy Trinity Drive, Melbourne
The cost is $25 and includes lunch, drink, snack, shirt and supplies. Registration is now open at http://www.swe-sc.org/IGEW<http://www.swe-sc.org/IGEW/> for both students and volunteers. Student registrations must be postmarked by Friday, April 18. (Registration may close earlier if we reach our maximum capacity.)
POC: Adia Griffin, igew at swe-sc.org<mailto:igew at swe-sc.org> or outreach at swe-sc.org<mailto:outreach at swe-sc.org>

<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/launch/index.html>
Weather 70 Percent 'Go' for SpaceX Launch
 <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/launch/index.html>
The U.S. Air Force 45th Weather Squadron has issued the L-4 Day forecast for the launch of SpaceX-3 to the International Space Station. There is a 70 percent chance of favorable weather with a chance of violating the Thick Cloud Rule and Anvil Cloud Rule. During the mission, the Dragon capsule will deliver about 5,000 pounds of cargo to the orbiting laboratory and return about 3,500 pounds to Earth. Liftoff is targeted for an instantaneous launch window at 4:58 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 14. There is an additional opportunity at 3:25 p.m. on Friday, April 18.
<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/supernova-cleanup.html>
Supernova Cleans Up Its Surroundings
 <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/supernova-cleanup.html>
Supernovas are the spectacular ends to the lives of many massive stars. These explosions can produce enormous amounts of energy and be as bright as an entire galaxy. As the debris field from the remains of the shattered star - called a supernova remnant - expands, it carries the material it encounters along with it. Astronomers have identified a supernova remnant - known as G352.7-0.1 (or, G352 for short) - which has swept up a remarkable amount of material, equivalent to about 45 times the mass of the Sun.
<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/veggie/index.html>
Plant Growth Chamber to Launch on ISS Cargo Mission
 <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/veggie/index.html>
A plant growth chamber bound for the International Space Station inside the Dragon capsule on the SpaceX-3 resupply mission may help expand in-orbit food production capabilities in more ways than one, and offer astronauts something they don't take for granted: fresh food.