[Spacetalk] Gjerdrum ungdomsskole Jr HS

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Wed Nov 17 23:48:50 CST 2021

Good morning all,

 It is 4:27am in Norway…I am awake as the time change will take a little adjusting…but I am here…after a very interesting adventure….I have shared about my first international visit since the pandemic, 20 months ago…I was actually surprised when my good buddies, Kjell & Lars-Kristen, invited me to come to Norway to speak at schools, I did not anticipate any opportunity this year…I said of course, it will be an honor and pleasure….after months of trying to sort out a schedule, coordinating with different cities/ schools, getting all the air fares booked, places to stay, in country transportation in the cities…it was getting closer…about 3 weeks before I left, Kjell notified me that Covid was spiking in Norway…each succeeding week it got worse…a couple of days before I left he told me everything was still good but be prepared for last minute cancellations…the evening before I left I tried to check in electronically an was declined saying I had to speak with representatives at check in…I did not think this was serious but I was uncertain what was going on…when I got to check in at the airport with my hard copy Moderna shot record, hard copy and electronic negative Covid negative test records I was told Norway is on lockdown you need an electronic covid verification…a QR…or I would face quarantine when I got to Norway…I was given a web site to apply and told get registered before you leave the US…I had 2 hours before the flight so I went to the site….but I couldn’t access the registration…I did not have the required “D” number…what is a “D” number?…after much research I found it to be a number all Scandinavians and Europeans use in government matters…nothing about the US…by then my flight was leaving for Boston where I had a 4 1/2 hour layover…I contacted Delta reps for assistance…they were all helpful but bewildered….no one could find answers but it was clear, this would be a major issue…I called Kjell to see what he could find …he went to the airport where he was told I would have to quarantine for 10 days without the QR…that I should cancel the trip and return to Florida…this was devastating as so much had gone into this, I knew thousands of kids would be waiting, I would lose all the airfare, which I pay for out of pocket, and it did not seem like there were any options…as I was checking on return flights to Florida, a guy overheard my conversation…he was a dual Norwegian/American citizen…he showed me the documentation for the QR, which could I could not get…he did tell me there was an exception to the 10 day quarantine…I would’ve to quarantine for 3 days, have a negative Covid test, and I could move about the country…he gave me a link that showed this option…I’m going, not sure what will happen but I will try…I went from Boston to Amsterdam where I cleared customs, wondering what would happen here…nothing, they did not ask for record of covid vaccine or negative test…which was surprising…then to Oslo…I have been to Oslo airport many times, I was familiar with the procedure, but unsure of when or where I would face the requirement for the QR…I was one of the first off the plane, heading to baggage claim…no check points along the way..at baggage claim, my bag was one of the first to arrive…I got it, headed to the “nothing to declare” exit, no-one around….zipped right through to the terminal…shocked, bewildered, and super happy….

 Now the next challenge…visiting a school after 20 months of being home, totally enjoying the time, having too much fun to think about anything else…but now I was faced with...would it be the same? would I still have this amazing connection with the kids, something I never understood but always felt…during the 6 year run before the pandemic it was so amazing, magical, every presentation, every audience, every country…it was so special…the connection with the audiences was beyond words but the feeling was amazing and equal between us…I really did not know if it was possible because I never understood it…the first presentation, at Gjerdrum ungdomsskole Jr HS was pretty much like others awaiting to start…as we went through the presentation, it seemed to be going well but I would not have the true test until was it over as that is always when the magic occurs…kids will want to take pictures, spend one on one time, share hugs…if they initiated this, it would be the same, if they just left, I knew it was not…it was awesome, exactly the same…magical…so very, very special…

I know this news letter is so different because I wanted to share with you the events of my return…I have been sharing the events of my life with so many of you for so many years…I started the about 20 years ago, writing to one school in Missouri…it is now over 1500…when I was going through cancer, the events of 9/11 with my brother in the tower, surgeries, the beginning of my speaking career, and now the pandemic…I have shared it all with you…from my heart to yours… the feedback has been excellent, the friendships so special…I am so thankful for each of you…

We have to stay positive and always be thankful… remembering to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs… STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

a very special teacher and new friend, Seline...