[Spacetalk] 7 Minutes of Terror

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Tue Feb 16 20:39:20 CST 2021

good morning all,

A little late but I somehow omitted these cute Space Valentine pictures….from me….to you ❤️

getting closer, only 2 more days….I hope you will enjoy this….

7 MINUTES OF TERROR
(7 Minutos De Terror)

After a nearly seven month journey covering almost 300 million miles (500 million kilometers) through space, NASA's Perseverance rover <https://www.nasa.gov/perseverance/> will soon land on Mars. NASA's Perseverance rover <https://www.nasa.gov/perseverance/> is expected to land on Mars on Feb. 18, 2021, at 3:55 p.m. EDT.
On Feb. 18, 2021, it will take radio signals about 11 minutes, 22 seconds to travel from Mars back to Earth.
What are the "7 minutes of terror"?

The most intense part of the mission by far is the entry, descent and landing on Mars.
Over the course of seven minutes, commonly referred to as the "7 minutes of terror," the spacecraft will slow from about 12,100 mph (19,360 kph) when it enters the Martian atmosphere to about 2 mph (3.2 kph) at touchdown.
According to NASA, here's what will happen during entry, descent and landing
About 240 seconds after the rover enters the atmosphere: A parachute deploys and eventually slows the vehicle down to about 200 miles per hour. (320kph)
Once it's about 6,900 feet (2103 meters) above the surface: The rover drops from the backshell and the rocket-powered descent stage takes over
When the descent stage engines fire up: It moves to one side to avoid hitting the parachute and backshell coming down
When the descent stage slows to about 1.7 miles per hour (2.7kph): "Skycrane" maneuver starts
About 12 seconds before touchdown and about 66 feet (20 meters) above the surface: The descent stage lowers the rover on a set of cables about 21 feet (6.4 meters) long
When Perseverance senses its wheels have touched the ground: The rover quickly cuts the cables and the descent stage flies off to land on the surface as well, a safe distance away.
The most sophisticated rover ever sent to Mars is set to land on Thursday, Feb. 18. Here's how NASA plans to pull off the daring landing on the Red Planet. (see link below)

https://www.king5.com/video/news/nation-world/animation-shows-how-nasa-plans-to-pull-off-daring-mars-land-perseverance-rover/507-20341835-9a17-4a7c-9574-df4cb5e54da2 <https://www.king5.com/video/news/nation-world/animation-shows-how-nasa-plans-to-pull-off-daring-mars-land-perseverance-rover/507-20341835-9a17-4a7c-9574-df4cb5e54da2>

How to watch Mars rover landing

NASA TV's live coverage <https://www.youtube.com/nasajpl> from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California starts at 2:15 p.m. Eastern. JPL's YouTube page <https://www.youtube.com/nasajpl> will also offer a 360-degree live stream featuring an immersive look at the control room during entry, descent and landing.
We have to remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs & smiles... :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe