[Spacetalk] HAPPY VALENTINES DAY...

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sat Feb 13 22:13:36 CST 2021

Hi all,
Another opportunity to involve the kids…I hope you are finding this useful and can find time to share….we have to stay positive and always be thankful… remembering to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs & smiles... :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

NASA's Mission to Mars Student Challenge
Parents & Educators
Mission To Mars Student Challenge: Take part in a worldwide "teachable moment" and bring students along for the ride as NASA lands a rover on Mars February 18! Click here to join the adventure with students worldwide! <https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/mission-to-mars-student-challenge/>

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/mission-to-mars-student-challenge/ <https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/mission-to-mars-student-challenge/>

There's still time to join the adventure with 530,958 students worldwide!
It's not too late to join the challenge and land with Perseverance on Feb. 18! Register today to receive a guided education plan with resources from NASA to engage students in the landing. Plus, find out about opportunities to join in live stream Q&As with mission experts during landing week.

Fact Worth Sharing

Mars gets its name(s) from its color. "Mars" is the name of the Roman god of war, chosen for the planet because of its blood-red color. Other languages have names for Mars that refer to its color as well, such as its Chinese name which means “fire star.”

Mystery of gamma radiation solved: Hidden cannibal star is just having dinner
By Rafi Letzter <https://www.space.com/author/rafi-letzter> 2 days ago
Don't get too close to this redback.

 <https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.space.com/citizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star>  <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Mystery%20of%20gamma%20radiation%20solved%3A%20Hidden%20cannibal%20star%20is%20just%20having%20dinner&url=https://www.space.com/citizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star>  <http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https://www.space.com/citizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star&title=Mystery%20of%20gamma%20radiation%20solved:%20Hidden%20cannibal%20star%20is%20just%20having%20dinner>  <http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https://www.space.com/citizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star&media=https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/bYhXVeUqXxpaKEnjbXoJPm-1200-80.jpg>  <https://share.flipboard.com/bookmarklet/popout?title=Mystery%20of%20gamma%20radiation%20solved%3A%20Hidden%20cannibal%20star%20is%20just%20having%20dinner&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.space.com%2Fcitizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star>  <mailto:?subject=I%20found%20this%20webpage&body=Hi,%20I%20found%20this%20webpage%20and%20thought%20you%20might%20like%20it%20https://www.space.com/citizen-supercomputer-finds-neutron-star>

An illustration shows the orbits of PSR J2039-5617 and its companion.
(Image: © B. Knispel / C.J. Clark / Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics / NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center)
The mystery at the heart of an unexplained, bright point of gamma-ray light in the sky has been solved: There's a deadly spider star flaying a second, wimpier star to bits, sending out rapid-fire bursts of gamma radiation in the process

"Black widows" and "redbacks" in astronomy, as Live Science previously reported <https://www.livescience.com/venemous-spider-hybrid-stars-discovered.html>, are species of neutron stars — the ultradense remnant cores of giant stars that exploded. Some neutron stars, called pulsars, rotate at regular intervals, flashing like lighthouses. The fastest-spinning among them are millisecond pulsars. When a millisecond pulsar is locked in a rare, tight orbit with a lightweight star, it slowly shreds its partner to bits with each rotation. These binary cannibals are known as black widow or redback stars. Now, with the help of citizen scientists, a team of researchers has revealed a new redback at the heart of a bright system known as PSR J2039–5617.