[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/blackholefriday; https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Nov 29 22:39:41 CST 2020

Hi all,

 I hope everyone is dong well...staying healthy and staying safe…we are nor doing well in the US with the pandemic…we just celebrated a huge holiday…Thanksgiving…which commemorates a harvest festival celebrated by the Pilgrims in 1621…I think it has evolved to a day to be thankful, each in our own way…with that, many people are getting together for a huge dinner with family and friends…we know no one will be wearing masks or social distancing…then we have Christmas and New Year…it seems it will continue to get worse…I guess it will be the middle of January when we can see the consequences…hopefully,  magically…it won’t be too  bad and we can sort out how to move forward past this pandemic…

With Thanksgiving we also have Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving with huge sales and the beginning of the Christmas season….also the first time in & years I was in the US for Thanksgiving…NASA got in with Black Friday by creating Black Hole Friday….I know there is huge fascination with black holes…I hope you will enjoy this and share it with the kids…also there is a Space X launch, a supply ship to the ISS….see below, I know it is Saturday but for nay kids who are interested, they can watch from home…

We have to remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs & smiles... :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe :-) :-)

NASA TV Coverage Set for Next Space Station Resupply Mission with SpaceX
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/ksc-20200306-ph-awg07_0007_medium.jpg>
ksc-20200306-ph-awg07_0007_medium.jpg
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket lifts off from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida at 11:50 p.m. EST on March 6, 2020, carrying the uncrewed cargo Dragon spacecraft on its journey to the International Space Station for NASA and SpaceX’s 20th Commercial Resupply Services (CRS-20) mission.
Credits: NASA/Tony Gray and Tim Terry
 <applewebdata://C6824791-3258-49B1-B2B1-9FF798D4DD16#>
NASA commercial cargo provider SpaceX is targeting 11:39 a.m. EST Saturday, Dec. 5, for the launch of its 21st commercial resupply services (CRS-21) mission to the International Space Station <http://www.nasa.gov/station> from Launch Complex 39A at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. CRS-21 will deliver science investigations, supplies, and equipment for NASA and is the first mission under the company’s second Commercial Resupply Services contract <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-awards-international-space-station-cargo-transport-contracts> with NASA. Live coverage will air on NASA Television and the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>, with prelaunch events Friday, Dec. 4, and Saturday, Dec. 5.

The upgraded Dragon spacecraft will be filled with supplies and payloads, including critical materials to directly support dozens of the more than 250 science and research investigations <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/spacex-21-research-highlights> that will occur during Expeditions 64 <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/expeditions/expedition64/index.html> and 65. In addition to bringing research to the station, the Dragon’s unpressurized trunk will transport the Nanoracks Bishop Airlock <https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/spinoff/New_Doorway_to_Space>. The first commercially funded space station airlock, the Bishop Airlock is an airtight segment used for transfer of payloads between the inside and outside of the station. It provides payload hosting, robotics testing, and satellite deployment while also serving as an outside toolbox for astronauts conducting spacewalks.
About 12 minutes after launch, Dragon will separate from the Falcon 9 rocket’s second stage and begin a carefully choreographed series of thruster firings to reach the space station. Arrival to the space station is planned for Sunday, Dec. 6. Dragon will autonomously dock to the station’s Harmony module <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/harmony> with Expedition 64 Flight Engineers Kate Rubins <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/kathleen-rubins> and Victor Glover <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/victor-j-glover/biography> of NASA monitoring operations.
The Dragon spacecraft will spend about one month attached to the space station before it returns to Earth with research and return cargo, with splashdown in the Atlantic Ocean.
Full mission coverage is as follows (all times Eastern):
Friday, Dec. 4
2 p.m. – One-on-one media opportunities with principal investigators for payloads on CRS-21 at the Kennedy Press Site (compliant with COVID-19 safety protocols).

TBD – Prelaunch news conference from Kennedy with representatives from NASA’s International Space Station Program, SpaceX, and the U.S. Air Force’s 45th Space Wing. For the dial-in number and passcode, please contact the Kennedy newsroom at ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov <mailto:ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov> no later than 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 4.

Saturday, Dec. 5
11:15 a.m. – NASA TV launch coverage begins for the 11:39 a.m. launch.
Sunday, Dec. 6
9:30 a.m. – NASA TV coverage begins for Dragon docking to space station
11:30 a.m. – Docking
Members of the public can attend the launch virtually, receiving mission updates and opportunities normally reserved for on-site guests. NASA’s virtual launch experience for CRS-21 includes curated launch resources, a behind-the-scenes look at the mission, notifications about NASA social interactions, and the opportunity for a virtual launch passport stamp following a successful launch. To participate, members of the public can register <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nasas-spacex-crs-21-launch-registration-116123664005> for email updates or RSVP to the Facebook event <https://fb.me/e/1XimNiu7F> for social media updates to stay up-to-date on mission information, mission highlights, and interaction opportunities. To find out more, visit: https://go.nasa.gov/3kaJKJz <https://go.nasa.gov/3kaJKJz>
Engage kids and students in the science, technology, engineering and math aboard the space station through NASA’s STEM on Station <https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/stem-on-station/forstudents>.
Members of the public also can share in the journey through a variety of activities, including:
Virtual Launch Passport
Print, fold, and get ready to fill your virtual launch passport. Stamps will be emailed following launches to all registrants (who are registered via email through Eventbrite). Passports available now: https://go.nasa.gov/364lPIt <https://go.nasa.gov/364lPIt>
Watch and Engage on Social Media
Stay connected with the mission on social media, and let people know you're following it on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using the hashtags #Dragon, #NASASocial, #BishopAirlock. Follow and tag these accounts:
Twitter: @NASA <https://twitter.com/NASA>, @NASAKennedy <https://twitter.com/NASAKennedy>, @NASASocial <https://twitter.com/NASASocial>, @Space_Station <https://twitter.com/Space_Station>, @ISS_Research <https://twitter.com/ISS_Research>, ISS National Lab <https://twitter.com/ISS_CASIS>, @SpaceX <https://twitter.com/spacex>
Facebook: NASA <https://www.facebook.com/NASA>, NASAKennedy <https://www.facebook.com/NASAKennedy>, ISS <https://www.facebook.com/ISS/>, ISS National Lab <https://www.facebook.com/ISSNATIONALLAB>
Instagram: @NASA <https://www.instagram.com/nasa/>, @NASAKennedy <https://www.instagram.com/nasakennedy/>, @ISS,  <https://instagram.com/iss/>@ISSNationalLab <https://www.instagram.com/issnationallab/>, @SpaceX <https://www.instagram.com/spacex/>
Learn more about the SpaceX resupply mission at: https://www.nasa.gov/spacex <https://www.nasa.gov/spacex>

It's Black Hole Friday!
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/tde-launched-jet-nrao-artist-home_0.jpg>
What is a black hole? A black hole is an astronomical object with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape it. A black hole’s “surface,” called its event horizon, defines the boundary where the velocity needed to escape exceeds the speed of light, which is the speed limit of the cosmos. Matter and radiation fall in, but they can’t get out.

Two main classes of black holes <https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/science/objects/black_holes1.html> have been extensively observed. Stellar-mass black holes with three to dozens of times the Sun’s mass are spread throughout our Milky Way galaxy, while supermassive monsters weighing 100,000 to billions of solar masses are found in the centers of most big galaxies, ours included.

This image is an artist's concept of a tidal disruption event that happens when a star passes fatally close to a supermassive black hole, which reacts by launching a relativistic jet.

What is a black hole? Learn more <https://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/starsgalaxies/black_hole_description.html>.

Black Hole's Dust Ring May Be Casting Shadows From Heart of a Galaxy <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2020/black-holes-dust-ring-may-be-casting-shadows-from-heart-of-a-galaxy>.

Image Credit: Sophia Dagnello, NRAO/AUI/NSF

 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5flUQSj3lJiq9YF4tiC9LQZFQV9NZjUXrYdU7USGDflYJNyCPqAiH4FPShBxAENUmAWFooBSTFsqkT5LueLg4kGEhKJi_bhUcdBkpH4HTr7m&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
It's Black Hole Friday!
Don't let the name fool you: A black hole is anything but empty space. Black holes are some of the most extreme, bizarre, and fascinating objects in the universe.

Take a break from shopping and join us for mind-bending images, facts, and even sounds about black holes! Follow, share, and be a part of the conversation on social media. Use the hashtag #BlackHoleFriday and follow our NASA Universe accounts on Twitter <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YTUf2W6RMcRMCtsnTfK6P_Op_fj7xIBcXPaKuOAB4NX8xxCFtyNYFn3RUpG3WHx9OMKCGZxkN4TGznRieCdIE1qhFxD9FL3HR&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==> and Facebook <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YphMVIX4cc8AeIVN92N1HxWkQhADAMfM3eavCv5c3f1YmCHrm7Vg_75z2dPPJk7Wf5iXxGqANFoXOlhX4piuefdkJSvNcYdwLPrCMabr4f38=&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>.
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5WXoU0vAmwNAjzdS7wwCtLraHkNx6KPEnIfpsJ6HiQLVNV6KSMWfVyqPthJw-5vqsS2syHYxHap7vL353vr2azsoe8rD1Bpo04iWjGAITz05xrtIyuWLUodZ75-uTr2edDQwXNaCEuGENJPV1E8gbBWLfk7dEuIRxBR1ALC5t6uP&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
What ARE Black Holes? — A black hole is an astronomical object with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, not even light, can escape it. We still have a lot to learn about black holes, but here is what we do know <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5WXoU0vAmwNAjzdS7wwCtLraHkNx6KPEnIfpsJ6HiQLVNV6KSMWfVyqPthJw-5vqsS2syHYxHap7vL353vr2azsoe8rD1Bpo04iWjGAITz05xrtIyuWLUodZ75-uTr2edDQwXNaCEuGENJPV1E8gbBWLfk7dEuIRxBR1ALC5t6uP&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>.
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YfUWzWYfNMVQl3caBD2Ebv0VfdoaCO4wwxc4lKG0mqLTC0o_HVBVRVDHRyL-XJPvG_5Sb3zcNP-cqaMtSlcDKBkdHbZHpwVIvyS9s0rc__EF-bxm5a1olpGOrAl5fDk-JbRinsmgLpdCacaJcsXIDFLOHzP9XuhrIR1NnIhF94Sc39m_KWcYI7g==&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
Star Survives Close Call with a Black Hole— Earlier this year, astronomers discovered a new kind of survival story <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YfUWzWYfNMVQl3caBD2Ebv0VfdoaCO4wwxc4lKG0mqLTC0o_HVBVRVDHRyL-XJPvG_5Sb3zcNP-cqaMtSlcDKBkdHbZHpwVIvyS9s0rc__EF-bxm5a1olpGOrAl5fDk-JbRinsmgLpdCacaJcsXIDFLOHzP9XuhrIR1NnIhF94Sc39m_KWcYI7g==&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>. X-ray data reveals what happens when a red giant star wanders too close to a supermassive black hole.
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YNoz5uWgEUzcdqzEO4PpYGYmsrnAiTp2gRBOJXjoxfAtIseDSOSmOzZRNf5US9sRulovWgSREbpOai57oMPJAE8l34XNZQZKfh-nQjuQWkxG9PafFHSTi3g==&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
What do Black Holes Sound Like? — One of our recent podcasts, NASA’s Curious Universe, takes you on an audio journey through black holes with data sonification and interviews with experts. Take a trip inside one of these cosmic wonders. <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74YNoz5uWgEUzcdqzEO4PpYGYmsrnAiTp2gRBOJXjoxfAtIseDSOSmOzZRNf5US9sRulovWgSREbpOai57oMPJAE8l34XNZQZKfh-nQjuQWkxG9PafFHSTi3g==&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74Yj1mdVpaBdFF1U0NkM_QUWI-mn_SvQSBCGCbKiv5l-Xb5dUWCNHcDj1ErEVxKU3axNscCrWlX0XtkZ4q_sCzqp1ZtRu3tQEDa4t1vP2cOboRrHo3hsrnX0fkP1RniC4q2QKyszptgvZ0zSpHoi_FwxIq80mVPMii5C7_PeOYMwjvoiq6zK89BrLbCssVQjsRs&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>
Black Hole Caught on Camera — Black holes will suck in material that crosses the “event horizon” (the point of no return) — but sometimes, they will blast the material away with jets. Astronomers caught a video <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5Uira1PmZ74Yj1mdVpaBdFF1U0NkM_QUWI-mn_SvQSBCGCbKiv5l-Xb5dUWCNHcDj1ErEVxKU3axNscCrWlX0XtkZ4q_sCzqp1ZtRu3tQEDa4t1vP2cOboRrHo3hsrnX0fkP1RniC4q2QKyszptgvZ0zSpHoi_FwxIq80mVPMii5C7_PeOYMwjvoiq6zK89BrLbCssVQjsRs&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==> of a black hole hurling hot material into space at close to the speed of light.
Discover More About Black Holes
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001QMBDRuVtSgEhrQYaDvTblpekYMF9nqxHt1yPEPsXhdVqv0HLA24c5flUQSj3lJiq9YF4tiC9LQZFQV9NZjUXrYdU7USGDflYJNyCPqAiH4FPShBxAENUmAWFooBSTFsqkT5LueLg4kGEhKJi_bhUcdBkpH4HTr7m&c=_oJnkn4Y65pungj2yNi_WDqrx3IHIeDAeFm9c1WL1KT36Ap-Erwqhg==&ch=AtVknPqLhGuWYlNhMenigNWGxNBQfXRXErkjMf2JcUKob3DnNjVL9w==>

The Recipe for Powerful Quasar Jets
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/bhjets.jpg>

Some supermassive black holes launch powerful beams of material, or jets, away from them, while others do not. Astronomers may now have identified why.

Using data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory, ESA’s XMM-Newton, Germany’s ROentgen SATellite (ROSAT), the NSF's Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array, the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and other telescopes, researchers have studied more than 700 quasars – rapidly growing supermassive black holes – to isolate the factors that determine why these black holes launch jets.

Jets from supermassive black holes can inject huge amounts of energy into their surroundings and strongly influence the evolution of their environments. Previously, scientists realized that a supermassive black hole needs to be spinning rapidly to drive strong jets – but not all rapidly spinning black holes have jets.

“We found there’s another determining factor of whether a supermassive black hole has jets, something called a black hole corona threaded by magnetic fields,” said Shifu Zhu of Penn State University in University Park, Pennsylvania, who led the study. “If you don’t have a black hole corona that’s bright in X-rays, it seems like you don’t have powerful black hole jets.”

In astronomy, the term “corona” is commonly associated with the outer atmosphere of the Sun. Black hole coronas, on the other hand, are regions of diffuse hot gas that lie above and below a much denser disk of material swirling around the gravitational sinkhole. Like the corona around the Sun, black hole coronas are threaded with strong magnetic fields.

“It’s like baking bread where you need a few ingredients to successfully follow the recipe for a loaf,” said co-author Niel Brandt, also of Penn State. “Our results show that one ingredient you can’t do without when ‘making’ powerful quasar jets is a bright corona.”

The team obtained their results by gaining a better understanding of X-ray emission from quasars. Previous studies had shown that quasars without jets show a characteristic link between the strength of their X-ray and ultraviolet emission. This correlation is explained by ultraviolet light from the disk of the black hole striking particles in the corona. The resulting energy boost converts the ultraviolet light to X-rays.

In the new study the team chose to investigate the behavior of quasars that do have jets. They found a correlation between how bright the different quasars are in X-rays and ultraviolet light that is remarkably similar to that found for quasars without jets. They concluded that the X-ray emission in the jet-powering quasars is also produced by a black hole corona.

This conclusion was a surprise. Previously, astronomers thought that X-ray emission from quasars with jets comes from the base of the jets because quasars with jets tend to be brighter in X-rays than those without. The new study confirms this difference in brightness, but concludes that the extra X-ray emission is from brighter black hole coronas than those of quasars with weaker or non-existent jets.

“The finding that the X-rays in quasars with jets comes from a black hole corona, rather than from the jets, challenges 35 years of thinking about the basic nature of this emission”, said co-author Guang Yang of Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas. “It could provide new insight into the physics of these jets.”

An important implication of their work is that to produce powerful jets a quasar must have a bright black hole corona, threaded by strong magnetic fields, in addition to a rapidly spinning black hole. Quasars with fainter black hole coronas and weaker magnetic fields have less powerful or non-existent jets whether or not their supermassive black holes are spinning quickly.

“Both a quasar’s powerful jets and bright corona occurring together may be fundamentally driven by magnetic fields”, said Zhu.

Stronger magnetic fields may result from a thicker disk caused by a higher rate of matter falling into the black hole.

These results are similar to those found for stellar-mass black holes, which weigh less than a hundred times the mass of the Sun, compared to supermassive black holes that weigh millions or billions of times the Sun’s mass. This supports the idea that these two different classes of black hole may be similar in terms of their behavior despite their very different sizes.

The team’s sample consists of 729 quasars with jets. Chandra, XMM-Newton, and ROSAT data were used for 212, 278, and 239 quasars respectively. The size and quality of the team’s sample explain why they were able to uncover the cause of the X-ray emission.

These results were published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on June 20th, 2020. The paper is also available online <https://arxiv.org/abs/2006.13226>. The other co-authors of the paper are Bin Luo of Nanjing University in China, Jianfeng Wu of Xiamen University in China, and Y.Q. Xue of the University of Science and Technology of China in Hefei, China.

NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center manages the Chandra program. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory's Chandra X-ray Center controls science and flight operations from Cambridge and Burlington, Massachusetts.

Image credit: NASA/CXC/M. Weiss

Read more from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory. <https://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2020/bhjets/>
For more Chandra images, multimedia and related materials, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/chandra <http://www.nasa.gov/chandra>

Physicists could do the 'impossible': Create and destroy magnetic fields from afar
By Stephanie Pappas - Live Science Contributor <https://www.livescience.com/author/stephanie-pappas> 6 days ago
A new study circumvents a 178-year-old theory.

 <https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html>  <https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?text=Physicists%20could%20do%20the%20%27impossible%27%3A%20Create%20and%20destroy%20magnetic%20fields%20from%20afar&url=https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html>  <http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html&title=Physicists%20could%20do%20the%20%27impossible%27:%20Create%20and%20destroy%20magnetic%20fields%20from%20afar>  <http://pinterest.com/pin/create/button/?url=https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html&media=https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/U9xfiPTX75tv83WFKkaDxK-1200-80.jpg>  <https://share.flipboard.com/bookmarklet/popout?title=Physicists%20could%20do%20the%20%27impossible%27%3A%20Create%20and%20destroy%20magnetic%20fields%20from%20afar&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.livescience.com%2Fmagnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html>  <mailto:?subject=I%20found%20this%20webpage&body=Hi,%20I%20found%20this%20webpage%20and%20thought%20you%20might%20like%20it%20https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-fields-created-from-afar.html>

(Image: © Shutterstock)
Scientists have figured out a way to create and cancel magnetic fields from afar.

The method involves running electric current through a special arrangement of wires to create a magnetic field <https://www.livescience.com/38059-magnetism.html> that looks as if it came from another source. This illusion has real applications: Imagine a cancer drug that could be delivered directly to a tumor deep in the body by capsules made of magnetic nanoparticles. It's not possible to stick a magnet in the tumor to guide the nanoparticles on their journey, but if you could create a magnetic field from outside the body that centered right on that tumor, you could deliver the drug without an invasive procedure.

The strength of a magnetic field decreases with distance from the magnet, and a theorem proven in 1842, Earnshaw's Theorem, says that it's not possible to create a spot of maximum magnetic field strength in empty space.

"If you cannot have a magnetic field maxima in empty space, it means you cannot create the field of a magnetic source remotely, without placing an actual [magnetic] source at the target location," said Rosa Mach-Batlle, a physicist at the Istituto Italiano Di Tecnologia Center for Biomolecular Nanotechnologies in Italy who led the new research.