[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Aug 30 19:40:52 CDT 2020

hi all,

 I am optimistic that we have finally sorted out the picture issue with the news letter….over 18 months years ago, pictures I attached would turn into links with massive URLs…to me, cluttering the news letter and taking away from the enjoyment…the reason I do this news letter is to share the adventures of the space program with you and the kids…I think the pictures create interest and curiosity…without them…it wasn’t as much fun…I have to thank my daughter, Gabrielle, who throughout this time has tried everything she could to help resolve the issue..last week, she finally got a positive result...after many, many, many different attempts: Case ID: 19319365: HostGator-HostGator-Tech Support-WHM. It appears that cPanel implemented a whitelist of content types not to strip from mailman messages, and this whitelist was quite restrictive.  Fortunately there is an easy workaround.  I simply made the whitelist blank which skips this filter altogether.  You can still blacklist harmful content types in the "content filtering" section of the mailman admin page. {whatever this means :-)}

 There is always something going on with the space program…we are so fortunate her at Kennedy Space Center, we have access to so much and see it first hand…also have access to nightly NASA TV programs with cool stories, pictures, and videos…as  well as seeing launched from the beach or KSC...this week was supposed to be historic…3 launches in 3 days…this had never happened before…unfortunately, technical issues combined with weather issues changed everything…we will still see the launches but it will be over a week…which is till awesome…can you imagine seeing 3 rocket launches…I actually saw the first of the three a little while ago…a Falcon 9….launched from the Cape….then on Tuesday, Space X will have a launch and the end of next week, a Delta IV Heavy…

We have to remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs & smiles... :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

 Follow NASA's Perseverance Rover in Real Time on Its Way to Mars

This would be a fun class project, hopefully you can join with NASA...
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mars2020-earth-1041.jpg>
The Mars 2020 Perseverance mission lifted off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, on July 30. NASA's Eyes on the Solar System tool lets you track the spacecraft in real time as it makes its way to Mars for a Feb. 18, 2021, landing.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
A crisply rendered web application can show you where the agency's Mars 2020 mission is right now as it makes its way to the Red Planet for a Feb. 18, 2021, landing. The last time we saw NASA's Mars 2020 Perseverance rover mission was on July 30, 2020, as it disappeared into the black of deep space on a trajectory for Mars. But with NASA's Eyes on the Solar System <https://eyes.nasa.gov/>, you can follow in real time as humanity's most sophisticated rover – and the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter traveling with it – treks millions of miles over the next six months to Jezero Crater <https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8549/nasas-mars-2020-will-hunt-for-microscopic-fossils/>.

"Eyes on the Solar System visualizes the same trajectory data that the navigation team uses to plot Perseverance's course to Mars," said Fernando Abilleira, the Mars 2020 mission design and navigation manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Southern California. "If you want to follow along with us on our journey, that's the place to be."Give the Mars 2020 Perseverance spacecraft a spin. Fully interactive, Eyes on the Solar System <https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/orrery/#/sc_perseverance>. doesn't just let you track it in real time as it travels to the Red Planet. Dozens of controls on pop-up menus allow you to customize not just what you see – from faraway to right "on board." Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Eyes doesn't just let you see the distance between the Red Planet and the spacecraft at this very moment. You can also fly formation with Mars 2020 or check the relative velocity between Mars and Earth or, say, the dwarf planet Pluto.

"With all our orbital assets circling Mars as well as Curiosity and InSight on its surface, there is new data and imagery coming in all the time about the Red Planet," said Jon Nelson, visualization technology and applications development supervisor at JPL. "Essentially, if you haven't seen Mars lately through Eyes on the Solar System, you haven't seen Mars."
Dozens of controls on pop-up menus allow you to customize not just what you see – from faraway to right "on board" a spacecraft – but also how you see it: Choose the 3D mode, and all you need is a pair of red-cyan anaglyph glasses for a more immersive experience.
You don't have to stop at Mars, either. You can travel throughout the solar system and even through time. The website not only uses real-time data and imagery from NASA's fleet of spacecraft, it's also populated with NASA data going back to 1950 and projected to 2050. Location, motion, and appearance are based on predicted and reconstructed mission data.

While you're exploring, take a deeper dive into our home planet with Eyes on the Earth <https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/earth/#/> and travel to distant worlds with Eyes on ExoPlanets <https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/exo/#/>.

More About the Mission
Managed for NASA by JPL, a division of Caltech in Pasadena, California, the Mars 2020 Perseverance rover is part of a larger program that includes missions to the Moon as a way to prepare for human exploration of the Red Planet. Charged with returning astronauts to the Moon by 2024, NASA will establish a sustained human presence on and around the Moon by 2028 through NASA's Artemis lunar exploration plans <https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/>. For more information about the mission, go to: https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/ <https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/> For more about NASA's Moon to Mars plans, visit: https://www.nasa <https://www.nasa/>
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001LTbm6-GDIG1JKiHw8jzWKGGubzh0Ke5SgC4ZX7tvwJDuS8CgBRH7cWsBylimd5HfrcTs80JzASfBLdERIwFFr-hbrv6z6WosBHbssELHCF9sp2-Uhbx0IIEiOnmgCQbyNJ9LzcifwwuFwP4BOVm3RQ==&c=FVZb4x85b-m3dL1GMUIo1tl2fYWk12jMuFLgoLVlqn7b6vQ8wbemKQ==&ch=2LhkXwDfMKBBXlMQRDoQv_VMgshseZUAoMW-Awv_XTbthWUJfu0rxA==>
Past, Present, and Future of Women in Space – This year marks the 100th anniversary of the adoption of the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing women the right to vote. For #WomensEqualityDay on Aug. 26, we celebrated the women who make our workforce diverse, strong, and highly skilled.
this is an amazing video….it is about 45 minutes…I’m not sure how you can share it….maybe a little each day….
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXKzwwdcUlE&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXKzwwdcUlE&feature=youtu.be>

Star-forming nebula W51 is one of the largest "star factories" in our galaxy. While the region's visible light is blocked by interstellar dust, it was revealed in infrared by our Spitzer Space Telescope, launched 17 years ago this week.

Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

United Launch Alliance debuts first-ever 3D projection on a Delta IV Heavy rocket
By Samantha Mathewson <https://www.space.com/author/samantha-mathewson> 3 days ago
You've never seen a Delta IV Heavy rocket quite like this….

   https://youtu.be/2VWuZZ6akY8

 <https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=https://www.space.com/ula-debuts-3d-projection-delta-iv-rocket.html>
The United Launch Alliance's (ULA) Delta IV Heavy rocket shone in a spectacular 3D projection ahead of this week's satellite launch.

Astronomers discover the fastest-spinning white dwarf yet — and it's a vampire
By Paul Sutter <https://www.space.com/author/paul-sutter> 5 days ago

An artist's illustration of a white dwarf pulling gas away from its companion star.
(Image: © NASA/CXC/M.Weiss)
Paul M. Sutter <http://www.pmsutter.com/> is an astrophysicist at SUNY Stony Brook and the Flatiron Institute, host of Ask a Spaceman <http://www.pmsutter.com/shows/askaspaceman> and Space Radio <http://www.pmsutter.com/shows/spaceradio>, and author of "How to Die in Space <http://www.pmsutter.com/book>." He contributed this article to Space.com's Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights <https://www.space.com/topics/expert-voices>.  White dwarfs <https://www.space.com/23756-white-dwarf-stars.html> are some of the strangest objects in the universe. The leftover cores from sunlike stars, white dwarfs live for trillions of years through the support of exotic quantum physics <https://www.livescience.com/33816-quantum-mechanics-explanation.html>. Astronomers recently spotted perhaps the strangest one yet: a dead star the spins twice a second, sucking down material from a nearby companion as it goes.

The cataclysmic variable

When stars like the sun <https://www.space.com/58-the-sun-formation-facts-and-characteristics.html> die, they heave off their outer atmospheres into space. After the fury dies down, only the core — a white-hot ball of carbon and oxygen — is left behind. That ball, no bigger than planet Earth, is supported not by the normal nuclear fusion inside living stars, but by the exotic quantum force known as degeneracy pressure. But most stars do not live alone; most have siblings. And those stars can orbit in silent watchfulness as their companion ends its life in a blaze, leaving behind the corpse that is a white dwarf. Over time, that companion can either begin the final stages of its life itself, or spiral in too closely — close enough to begin a destructive dance. When that happens, material from the white dwarf's companion can wind up on the surface of the white dwarf, building a thick layer of hydrogen around its carbon-oxygen body. In this situation and with enough time and enough material, a cataclysm can occur: a flash of nuclear fusion created by the intense pressures in the atmosphere. This flash of energy releases in a blast of radiation, visible from light-years away. These events used to be called "novas <https://www.space.com/31608-supernovas-star-explosions-infographic.html>," but nowadays astronomers prefer the lengthy term "cataclysmic variable star," because it encompasses a broader class of phenomena (and it sounds cooler.)

Submarine could explore seas of huge Saturn moon Titan
By Mike Wall <https://www.space.com/author/mike-wall> 4 days ago

Researchers have proposed sending a submarine to explore the huge Saturn moon Titan's frigid seas of methane and ethane.
(Image: © NASA Glenn/NIAC)
A submarine could explore alien seas just a few decades from now.

Researchers have been crafting a concept mission that would send a submarine to Saturn's huge moon Titan <https://www.space.com/saturn-moon-titan-secrets.html>, which sports lakes and seas of liquid hydrocarbons on its frigid surface. Such a mission, if approved and funded by NASA, could be ready to launch in the 2030s, potentially paving the way for even more ambitious submarine exploration down the road, the concept's developers said.

Hubble Views Edge of Stellar Blast

Text credit: ESA (European Space Agency)
Image credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA, W. Blair; acknowledgment: Leo Shatz

While appearing as a delicate and light veil draped across the sky, this image from the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope actually depicts a small section of the Cygnus supernova blast wave, located around 2,400 light-years away. The name of the supernova remnant comes from its position in the northern constellation of Cygnus (the Swan), where it covers an area 36 times larger than the full Moon. The original supernova explosion blasted apart a dying star about 20 times more massive than our Sun between 10,000 and 20,000 years ago. Since then, the remnant has expanded 60 light-years from its center. The shockwave marks the outer edge of the supernova remnant and continues to expand at around 220 miles per second. The interaction of the ejected material and the low-density interstellar material swept up by the shockwave forms the distinctive veil-like structure seen in this image.

90%