[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html; https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Nov 18 14:16:10 CST 2018

hi all,
 Greeting from Norway…the visit here has been wonderful…even though it has been a year, in many ways it seems like yesterday….the kids have been great, the teachers and schools so very supportive….I owe so much of it to my two buddies, Aage who lets me stay at his house, arranges most of the schools I visit, take me to all the schools, and is always by my side whenever I need anything….and to my buddy Kjell, who also helps with finding schools as well as supports my visits through positive endorsements with unique opportunities….for anyone in the Oslo area, I will be speaking Tuesday night, Nov 20th at 6pm at The Norwegian Museum of Science and Technology, if any of you can make it, it will be awesome to see you…then I will be in Kolding, Denmark, from Nov 22nd-24th…on Saturday, Nov 24th I will be hanging out at the Library in Kolding, if anyone would like to come by today hi, it will be great to see you…the time is still being determined, I will update you as soon as I know….and in Sonderborg November 26th-27th-28th. We have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile and have fun... J  J  love ya, Gabe

Many great accomplishments in the space program with the most spectacular being the landing of the InSight mission to Mars on Nov 26th…I know so many have signed up and and we will arrive at 3 pm (Eastern Standard Time.. .New York)…NASATV will carry it live as the Lander will send back live videos of the landing…there is some question as to how clear they maybe because of all the sand & dust on Mars but the feed will continue and it should be awesome for the kids to see…even if they can’t see much of the actual landing...check the links below for the current info...

> https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/ <https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/>    https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/timeline/landing/entry-descent-landing/ <https://mars.nasa.gov/insight/timeline/landing/entry-descent-landing/>
> This is an illustration showing a simulated view of NASA's InSight lander about to land on the surface of Mars. This view shows the underside of the spacecraft.
> Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech

                                  Antares Rocket Seen from Washington D.C. Tidal Basin

​The Northrop Grumman Antares rocket, with Cygnus resupply spacecraft onboard, is seen above the Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC, on Nov. 17, 2018.

Voyager 2 Creeps Closer to the Edge of the Solar System <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=f02b05f5d8713a1d5de8e759d8c834ff003d8ed93b2d6911c572ded2ae8ec9823c5cb80993ff3f311ce8da2232264b3c04ab302882677d9c6e6496634d592173>

An artist's depiction of the Voyager 2 probe traveling through our solar system.
Going, going — nope, it's still just going, NASA says of its Voyager 2 probe, which the agency realized was approaching the edge of the solar system back in early October <https://www.space.com/42040-voyager-2-approaching-solar-system-edge.html>. In a statement <https://blogs.nasa.gov/sunspot/2018/11/14/excitement-increases-as-voyager-2-sees-a-decrease-in-heliospheric-particles/> released yesterday (Nov. 14), NASA shared additional data from the probe that gives engineers a sense of where the spacecraft currently is in relation to the solar system. The Voyager 2 probe <https://www.space.com/17693-voyager-2.html>, which launched in 1977, swung past the gas giants of our solar system, making this spacecraft the only device to gather detailed data about Uranus and Neptune. Then, its mission complete, Voyager 2 barrelled on, out toward the edge of our solar system. The new data comes from an instrument called the Low Energy Telescope, which tracks the low-energy particles characteristic of our solar system <https://www.space.com/56-our-solar-system-facts-formation-and-discovery.html>. Given the data Voyager 1 <https://www.space.com/17688-voyager-1.html>sent home during its 2012 farewell, the team expects those encounters with low-energy particles to nearly disappear as the probe makes its exit, NASA said. And at the beginning of November, the team noticed a sharp decline in the number of particles encountered — but not all the way down to nearly zero, where it will remain after it leaves our neighborhood. That means that the spacecraft still has a ways to go before scientists can finally declare it free of its home solar system. The new data adds to the first warning of Voyager <https://www.space.com/17205-voyager-spacecraft.html> 2's impending departure, which came from the probe's High Energy Telescope, which measures high-energy particles. Those particles become more prevalent as a spacecraft leaves the solar system. The spike in energetic particles is a signature of the probe gradually losing the protection of a bubble around our sun called the heliopause <https://www.space.com/22729-voyager-1-spacecraft-interstellar-space.html>. That bubble is formed by the solar wind, a constant stream of charged particles that is born in the sun, quickly accelerates in the star's atmosphere and then sets off across the entire solar system. Because the sun's strength ebbs and grows, the precise location of that heliopause bubble isn't constant, which makes determining when Voyager 2 finally makes its escape more challenging.But even as Voyager 2 is investigating the far edge of that solar wind stream, a much newer NASA spacecraft has begun investigating the place where that solar wind picks up so much speed. That's the sun's outer atmosphere, called the corona. The agency's Parker Solar Probe <https://www.space.com/41457-parker-solar-probe-what-next-sun.html>, which launched in August, made its first <https://www.space.com/42344-parker-solar-probe-first-sun-flyby-close-approach.html> of 24 planned science passes around the sun earlier this month.

NASA's Sun-Kissing Solar Probe Survives 1st Flyby of Our Star <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=1cdd031777482a7d035d062b3adb299a0f3328161ea7aefd19adb1cd865417418e695a92fecd4bc42df8de9093f900eb0c525a400539b110dd2dbba13613a017>

An artist's illustration showing NASA's Parker Solar Probe approaching the sun. Credit: NASA/Johns Hopkins APL/Steve Gribben

NASA's Parker Solar Probe has survived its first trial by fire <https://www.space.com/42344-parker-solar-probe-first-sun-flyby-close-approach.html>. The spacecraft zoomed within 15 million miles (24 million kilometers) of the sun <https://www.space.com/15706-sun-quiz-solar-showdown.html> on Monday (Nov. 5) — far closer than any mission had ever gotten before. And on Wednesday afternoon (Nov. 7), the probe phoned home, telling its controllers that it's in good health and continuing to collect science data. "Parker Solar Probe was designed to take care of itself and its precious payload during this close approach, with no control from us on Earth — and now we know it succeeded," Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of NASA's Science Mission Directorate at agency headquarters in Washington, D.C., said in a statement. [The Parker Solar Probe's Mission to the Sun in Pictures <https://www.space.com/37037-nasa-parker-solar-probe-mission-pictures.html>] Parker is the culmination of six decades of scientific progress," Zurbuchen added <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2018/parker-solar-probe-reports-good-status-after-close-solar-approach>. "Now, we have realized humanity's first close visit to our star, which will have implications not just here on Earth, but for a deeper understanding of our universe.” The probe also set a speed record during its first solar encounter, which technically ran from Oct. 31 through Monday. At closest approach, the spacecraft topped out at 213,200 mph (343,112 km/h) relative to the sun, NASA officials said. The German-American Helios 2 mission had held both the speed and close-approach records. In April 1976, that probe reached 153,454 mph (246,960 km/h) and got within 26.55 million miles (42.73 million km) of the sun. The Parker Solar Probe will break both of its new records many times over the next seven years. The spacecraft will make 23 additional solar flybys during this span, getting closer and closer to our star.  The final close approach, in late 2025, will take the Parker Solar Probe to within just 3.83 million miles (6.16 million km) of the sun's surface. During that dramatic flyby, the sun's gravity will accelerate the spacecraft to around 430,000 mph (690,000 km/h), NASA officials have said. The $1.5 billion Parker Solar Probe mission launched on Aug. 12 <https://www.space.com/41454-nasa-parker-solar-probe-launches-to-sun.html>, tasked with helping scientists better understand the sun's structure, composition and activity. The observations the spacecraft makes during its flybys should help solve two longstanding solar puzzles, mission team members have said — why the sun's outer atmosphere, or corona <https://www.space.com/17160-sun-atmosphere.html>, is so much hotter than the surface, and how the flow of charged particles known as the solar wind gets accelerated to such high speeds.

SpaceX's 'Starman' and Its Tesla Roadster Are Now Beyond Mars <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=d97cc6c369868729cfa120e9a3856d059d77b100c091afcc78d8e82efc7b56856e34a25719f65930155d184170bec3540dadc604d5d85390e93a783a5ae25c89>

Starman has put a lot of miles on his Tesla Roadster in the last nine months. The red electric car and its spacesuit-clad mannequin driver, which launched on the maiden mission of SpaceX's huge Falcon Heavy rocket <https://www.space.com/39607-spacex-falcon-heavy-first-test-flight-launch.html> in February, have made it beyond the orbit of Mars, company representatives said Friday night (Nov. 2). "Starman's current location. Next stop, the restaurant at the end of the universe," SpaceX posted on Twitter Friday, along with an orbit diagram. [Epic SpaceX Road Trip Photos: Starman Rides a Tesla Roadster in Space <https://www.space.com/39759-spacex-starman-tesla-roadster-space-road-trip-photos.html>] Starman and his ride — which once belonged to Musk — won't stay beyond Mars forever. As you can see in the diagram, the pair will loop back on their heliocentric orbit, eventually coming about as close to the sun as Earth does.  The Roadster and Starman will come within a few hundred thousand kilometers of our planet in 2091, according to an orbit-modeling study <https://www.space.com/39704-elon-musk-tesla-roadster-earth-venus-crash.html>. The authors of that study determined that the car will slam into either Venus or Earth, likely within the next few tens of millions of years. They give the space car a 6 percent chance of hitting Earth in the next 1 million years, and a 2.5 percent chance of smacking Venus in that span. [In Photos: SpaceX's 1st Falcon Heavy Rocket Test Launch Success! <https://www.space.com/39279-spacex-first-falcon-heavy-rocket-photos.html>] You can track the space mannequin and cosmic Tesla at whereisroadster.com <http://www.whereisroadster.com/>, a website created by Ben Pearson, founder of Old Ham Media. The Falcon Heavy's second mission, which will launch the Saudi Arabian communications satellite Arabsat-6A to geostationary orbit, is scheduled for January 2019.

Starman’s current location. Next stop, the restaurant at the end of the universe.

5:36 PM - 2 Nov 2018

SpaceX's Starman mannequin is seen inside Elon Musk's red Tesla Roadster with Earth in the background, shortly after launch on Feb. 6, 2018. As of Nov. 2, the duo were beyond the orbit of Mars.