[Spacetalk] https://spaceflightnow.com; https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Tue Jan 23 09:18:46 CST 2018

Goo morning all,

 The visit to Deer Park Elementary last week was awesome…..2nd-5th graders in 2 large presentations in the morning, spent an hour in the lunch room with the 4th & 5th graders, and visited six 1st grade and a pre-k classes in the afternoon… it is so much fun to spend time with the kids, the lunch room was way fun because I could hang out with them in "their world”…my sincere thanks and appreciation to Susan who, despite being very sick, set the schedule, coordinated with all the teachers, and for remembering me from a previous school...then asking me to come to her new school…this happens often and it is fun to follow you around :-) :-)

I leave for Brazil on Thursday, get back on Feb 2nd, then leave for a week in South Carolina speaking with kids…I know it will be way fun…this will be my 4th visit to Brazil with follow on visits in March and April as well as England, Sweden, & Norway…plus all the US areas…I am in awe of how this is expanding both internationally and in the US….it is something I never planned and certainly never saw it expanding …I am enjoying every second, never taking it for granted, and making so many wonderful connections with so many kids…I am totally in awe of what teachers do day to day…I can never adequately thank you all enough and I honestly believe you have the most challenging job in the world... as well as the most rewarding…

NASA and Space X have a busy year ahead…I will try to keep you informed with dates & links to share with the kids…maybe make a couple of minutes a day or week to see some cool videos or live feed from space, I am sure you and the kids will enjoy it…let your imagination take you to make believe places…only they are real :-) :-) also, this is an amazing site, if you have a few minutes...https://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/index.html <https://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/index.html> … wishing you all a wonderful day…. we have to always remember to let those we care about most know, do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, make each day special, smile & have fun! Catch a hug & share a smile :-) :-) Gabe

CURISOTY Update: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/index.html
How to See the Space Station From the Ground: http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ <http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/>

Space to Ground: Prepping for a Spacewalk: 01/19/2018
"HOUSTON, STATION ON SPACE TO GROUND."
WELCOME TO SPACE TO GROUND, I’M GARY JORDAN. SOME STATION SCIENCE HAS SUCCESSFULLY RETURNED TO EARTH, AND NOW CREWMEMBERS ARE GEARING UP FOR A PAIR OF SPACEWALKS FOCUSING ON THE ROBOTIC ARM.

AFTER BEING MANEUVERED INTO POSITION AND RELEASED ENTIRELY BY GROUND OPERATORS – A NEW FEAT, I MIGHT ADD – THE SPACEX DRAGON LANDED SAFELY IN THE PACIFIC ON SATURDAY WITH 4,100 POUNDS OF CARGO AND SCIENCE SAMPLES ON BOARD. BACK FOR ANALYSIS ON EARTH ARE STUDIES ON FIBER OPTIC FILAMENTS THAT WERE MANUFACTURED IN MICROGRAVITY, PLANTS THAT WERE GROWN ON ORBIT TO TEST THEIR REACTION TO STRESS, AND LIVE MICE THAT WILL EVALUATE A NEW DRUG DELIVERY DEVICE TO HELP COMBAT MUSCLE WASTE.

NOW STATION CREWMEMBERS ARE PREPARING FOR 2 SPACEWALKS TO REPLACE A VITAL PIECE OF THE CANADARM2.

WHILE THIS WEEK WAS BUSY WITH REVIEWING PROCEDURES AND CLEANING OUT THEIR SPACESUITS, THE REAL ACTION STARTS NEXT WEEK. MARK VANDE HEI AND SCOTT TINGLE WILL BE THE FIRST TO MAKE THEIR WAY OUTSIDE THE STATION AND SWAP OUT A LATCHING END EFFECTOR FROM THE TIP OF THE STATION’S ROBOTIC ARM – CANADARM2. VANDE HEI WILL GO OUT ONCE AGAIN THE FOLLOWING WEEK, THIS TIME WITH NORISHIGE KANAI, TO FINISH STORING THE DEGRADED HARDWARE OUTSIDE THE STATION AND GET A FEW EXTRA MAINTENANCE TASKS OUT OF THE WAY.

IN BETWEEN THE WEEK’S SCHEDULE OF PREPARATION AND SCIENCE, SCOTT TINGLE TOOK SOME TIME TO ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS FROM ABC AND SPACE.COM. HERE’S WHAT THE NEW STATION RESIDENT HAD TO SAY.

"ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO YOUR SPACEWALK COMING UP?"

"ABSOLUTELY, WE JUST SPENT THE MORNING PREPARING. WE JUST DID A SUIT CHECK AND MAKE SURE EVERYTHING WAS WORKING RIGHT, AND THIS IS GOING TO BE A LIFETIME MEMORY FOR SURE,  AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING OUT THERE AND FIXING UP THE SYSTEMS IT WILL BE WOTKING ON."

KEEP SENDING IN YOUR QUESTIONS USING THE HASHTAG SPACE TO GROUND.

AND FOR THOSE EDUCATORS OUT THERE, VISIT NASA’S STEM ON STATION WEBSITE BELOW TO FIND WAYS TO GET INVOLVED DURING NASA’S YEAR OF EDUCATION, A CELEBRATION OF AN ALMOST 12-MONTH PRESENCE OF A TEACHER ON BOARD THE INTERNATIONAL SPACE STATION. YOU CAN FIND OUT HOW TO CONNECT YOUR STUDENTS TO EDUCATORS IN SPACE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntp6y-qe-sY

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/26788054549_f97df9452c_k_0.jpg>
Jan. 16, 2018
MEDIA ADVISORY M18-013
 <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-briefing-thursday-will-preview-upcoming-us-spacewalks/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-briefing-thursday-will-preview-upcoming-us-spacewalks/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-briefing-thursday-will-preview-upcoming-us-spacewalks/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-briefing-thursday-will-preview-upcoming-us-spacewalks/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-briefing-thursday-will-preview-upcoming-us-spacewalks/#>
NASA Briefing Thursday Will Preview Upcoming US Spacewalks
American and Japanese astronauts aboard the International Space Station <http://www.nasa.gov/station> will embark on a pair of spacewalks Jan. 23 and 29 to service the station’s robotic arm. Experts from NASA and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) will preview this work in a briefing at 2 p.m. EST Thursday, Jan. 18, at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. Live coverage of the briefing and spacewalks will air on NASA Television and the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>.

Participants in the briefing are:
Kenneth Todd, NASA’s International Space Station Operations integration manager
Tim Braithwaite, CSA liaison office manager
Zeb Scoville, NASA spacewalk flight director
Sarah Korona, U.S. spacewalk 47 and 48 officer at NASA
Media wishing to participate in the briefing in person must request credentials from the Johnson newsroom no later than 4 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 17. Media interested in participating by phone must contact the newsroom by 1:45 p.m. Jan. 18. Expedition 54 Flight Engineer Mark Vande Hei <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/mark-t-vande-hei> of NASA will lead both excursions, joined by Flight Engineer Scott Tingle <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/scott-d-tingle> for the spacewalk on Tuesday, Jan. 23, and by Flight Engineer Norishige Kanai <http://iss.jaxa.jp/en/astro/biographies/kanai/index.html> of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) on Monday, Jan. 29. Live coverage will begin at 5:30 a.m., with the spacewalks beginning about 7:10 a.m. or earlier, if the crew is running ahead of schedule. The objective of the Jan. 23 spacewalk will be to replace one of two redundant latching end effectors (LEE) on Canadarm2 <http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/iss/canadarm2/Default.asp>, the station’s robotic arm, which has experienced some degradation of its snaring cables. A spare LEE will replace the current LEE B. The Jan. 29 spacewalk will be devoted to securing the degraded LEE B on the station’s Mobile Base System <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/structure/elements/mss.html> rail car as a spare. Similar work was conducted on the robotic arm’s LEE A during a series of spacewalks last October.These excursions, U.S. spacewalks 47 and 48, will be the third and fourth in Vande Hei’s career and the first for both Tingle and Kanai.

Exploration Mission-1 Identifier
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/feature_1041x320_em-1-identfier.jpg>
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/em1_patch_final.png>
Downloadable file of NASA's Exploration Mission-1 patch.
The Exploration Mission-1 <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/the-ins-and-outs-of-nasa-s-first-launch-of-sls-and-orion> artwork showcases the Space Launch System (SLS) rocket carrying the Orion spacecraft and lifting off from Launch Pad 39B at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. The triangular shape represents the three main programs that comprise NASA’s Deep Space Exploration Systems: Orion, SLS, and Exploration Ground Systems, and is a classic shape for NASA mission emblems dating back to the shuttle era.

Several elements within the design carry symbolic meaning for this historic flight. The silver highlight surrounding this patch gives nod to the silver Orion spacecraft, including the European service module that will be voyaging 40,000 miles past the Moon in deep space. The orange rocket and flames represent the firepower of SLS. The setting is historic Launch Pad 39B, represented by the three lightning towers. The red and blue mission trajectories encompassing the white full Moon proudly emphasizes the hard work, tradition, and dedication of this American led-mission while also embracing NASA’s international partnership with ESA (European Space Agency) as both agencies forge a new future in space.

The Exploration Mission-1 emblem was designed in collaboration by the creative team working for the Deep Space Exploration Systems programs, which includes Orion, SLS, and Exploration Ground Systems, located at NASA Headquarters in Washington, Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Johnson Space Center in Houston, Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, and Kennedy. Because the maiden mission of SLS and Orion is uncrewed, the program teams had the rare opportunity to conceive the mission identifier. Exploration Mission-2 <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-first-flight-with-crew-will-mark-important-step-on-journey-to-mars>, which will fly with crew, will have an insignia designed by NASA’s Astronaut Office with the help of the crew that will fly aboard the most capable deep space system to take flight.

Learn more about Deep Space Exploration Systems <https://www.nasa.gov/content/j2m-getting-to-mars-sls-and-orion>.

Learn more about Exploration Ground Systems <https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/ground/index.html>.

Learn more about Exploration Mission-1 <https://www.nasa.gov/EXPERIENCE-EM1>.

Learn more about NASA enterprise and mission insignia: Emblems of Exploration <https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/emblems_of_exploration_detail.html>.

Hubble’s Cartwheel
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/potw1036a.jpg>
This is an image of the Cartwheel Galaxy taken with the NASA/ESA (European Space Agency) Hubble Space Telescope. The object was first spotted on wide-field images from the U.K. Schmidt telescope and then studied in detail using the Anglo-Australian Telescope. Lying about 500 million light-years away in the constellation of Sculptor, the cartwheel shape of this galaxy is the result of a violent galactic collision. A smaller galaxy has passed right through a large disk galaxy and produced shock waves that swept up gas and dust — much like the ripples produced when a stone is dropped into a lake — and sparked regions of intense star formation (appearing blue). The outermost ring of the galaxy, which is 1.5 times the size of our Milky Way, marks the shock wave’s leading edge. This object is one of the most dramatic examples of the small class of ring galaxies. This image is based on earlier Hubble data of the Cartwheel Galaxy that was reprocessed in 2010, bringing out more detail in the image than seen before. Image credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA

From Mercury Mark II to Project Gemini

On Jan. 3, 1962, the newly announced Mercury Mark II project was renamed Project Gemini. This artist's concept of a two-person Gemini spacecraft in flight shows a cutaway view

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/s65-14257.jpg>