[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon Jan 26 06:13:01 CST 2015

Good morning all,
 I hope you had great weekend and will look forward to the week ahead, of course, one day at a time :) The visit to the Tampa Bay Region Future City Competition on Saturday went great...the city models the kids created were amazing, so much detail and thought as well as they had to "build it"...even more impressive was the oral presentations on how they decided the theme of their city and how they answered questions....I know this was tremendous learning opportunity for them in so many ways...it was a very long day for the kids and by the time I was speaking I think most of them were beat but it still went very well and I want to thank Rita for inviting me to participate. Wishing you great day, we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present be appreciative of the good in our lives, let the people we care about most know, smile & have fun! Gabe

Massive Asteroid 2004 BL86 to Pass Within 745,000 Miles of Earth
Jan 26, 2015, 1:44 AM ET

Sky chart for asteroid 2004 BL86, expected to safely pass Earth January 26 11:19am EST.
A massive asteroid is set to safely pass Earth Monday. According to NASA<http://abcnews.go.com/topics/news/nasa.htm> scientists, the asteroid 2004 BL86 is approximately 1,500 feet across and will come closest to Earth at 11:19 a.m. ET.
The asteroid will be approximately 745,000 miles away - about three times the distance between the earth and the moon.
Experts at NASA's Near Earth Object Program believe the asteroid will not be visible to the naked eye. The asteroid is expected to be visible through small telescopes and strong binoculars.
The asteroid was discovered in 2004, and Monday's pass is believed to be the closest the asteroid will come to Earth for the next 200 years.

 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/chandra-celebrates-the-international-year-of-light>

Chandra Celebrates the International Year of Light
>From a distant galaxy to the relatively nearby debris field of an exploded star

<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/neowise/pia19102>

NASA's NEOWISE Images Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy)
Comet C/2014 Q2 (Lovejoy) is one of more than 32 comets imaged by NASA's NEOWISE mission from December 2013 to December 2014. This image of comet Lovejoy combines a series of observations made in November 2013, when comet Lovejoy was 1.7 astronomical units from the sun. (An astronomical unit is the distance between Earth and the sun.)
The image spans half of one degree. It shows the comet moving in a mostly west and slightly south direction. (North is 26 degrees to the right of up in the image, and west is 26 degrees downward from directly right.) The red color is caused by the strong signal in the NEOWISE 4.6-micron wavelength detector, owing to a combination of gas and dust in the comet's coma.
Comet Lovejoy is the brightest comet in Earth's sky in early 2015. A chart of its location in the sky during dates in January 2015 is at http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA19103 .