[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Thu Nov 13 15:07:58 CST 2014

Good afternoon all,
 I wanted to say hi and wish you a happy day, by the time most of you see this it will be in the morning :) Lots of interesting things happening with the space station, The Orion capsule, and the Landing on the comet....I hope you are able to involve the kids or at least show highlights....I know you schedules are so full and you really don't have much leeway but if it gets their interest and motivates them to learn, it has to be a good thing.... :) Also, please support Janet & Judy (see stories below), both great friends who give so freely of themselves to encourage kids to strive for greatness and fulfilling their dreams...Tomorrow morning I will be at Sabal Elementary speaking with 5th & 6th graders...it is my favorite thing to do and I am really looking forward to being with the kids....I want to get this off and wish you all a wonderful day and weekend, of course, one day at a time...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun! Gabe

Please check out the link below, Janet a great friend and is super with kids in motivating them towards Math & Science and Arts which fits right in with STEAM... Science, Technology, Engineering, ARTS, & Math of which I am a big supporter...
 Tedx Talk with Janet of Janet's Planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6lEgNbhXk

 AWE Inspired Science
By Janet Ivey, Creator of Janet's Planet, Inc.

Einstein said, "One cannot but be in AWE when one contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality.  It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day.  Never lose a holy curiosity."
When I speak of AWE (Art, Wonder and Experiential) Inspired Science, I'm not just speaking of the wonder, amazement, inspiration, or luminous enchantment that scientific understanding and discovery affords us; AWE for me is an acronym and the portal for scientific engagement.
My love of science began when I was 10 years old. I had an incredible 5th grade teacher, Ms. Ernestine Yarborough, who was the catalyst for the AWE.  She allowed me to use all my creative proclivities, while encouraging my left-brain to follow suit in concert with my right.

That's why I believe it's imperative that we must create space for the dancing of our stories, the acting out of our science, the drawing and illustrating of the world in which we live. We should make it our mission to honor creative thought as the birthplace of every scientific endeavor that has ever been or ever will be. History is chock full of stories that confirm that in and through art and science are sewn the threads of understanding, exposition, innovation and discovery.  We must never forsake the discovery potential that is indelible when we give art, wonder and experience a chance to do its most profound good.
I've seen time and time again how integrating art and science provides engaging and thought-provoking AWE infused experiences for students. In a lecture, Robert Eskridge, Executive Director of Museum Education, at the Art Institute of Chicago, pointed out the nature of this relationship: "Science and art naturally overlap. Both are a means of investigation. Both involve ideas, theories, and hypotheses that are tested in places where mind and hand come together. Artists just like scientists, observe, study, and seek to understand-and then upon gathering their 'data' begin to transform information into something else..." What if that something else becomes a dance, a poem, a painting, a piece of music, a design, an innovation, or an invention?
Leonardo Davinci loved his art and science, as does Fabiola Gianotti, the physicist, concert pianist and lover of philosophy who leads CERN's largest team, 3,000-strong, that works on the large hadron collider's five-story Atlas detector, as well as Commander Chris Hadfield, the first Canadian Commander of the International Space Station, who is both a scientist, a pilot, a musician and a graphic artist.
Adding Art and Design into the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math proposition, STEM +A or STEAM, helps us to visualize the unseen. When we create EXPERIENCE and use our ART, we allow WONDER to transcend any barriers or boundaries to science concepts too seemingly intangible before. When AWE enters the equation, there is understanding, discovery and SCIENTIFIC ENGAGEMENT because of kinesthetic (bodies moving, voices singing, hands painting, team collaborating) learning.

JUDY....
 [http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/90.jpg]

Think Global Flight
 INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT PLANNING 2.0

Nov 17 @ 7:00 PM EASTERN

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE BROADCAST <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001sgkCMUul0L9f-f0D08ckYsic1c2Q03yxA71xdQUSSe1DMlEtb8QcK1u515scusOeNeJGuZGFXRl6ZZHioRJu_vCndbEWtb4AtpneXvaOimbqZfJKHL7BT82Msxzw_X-YYZQBCFrJjf-2oQDiETeM-um_WLLPT6-e0O2HLQNVTZ3k9-g4qorqinS_0so_wK30DOh85tw0L-BNuf_y-i90ocNGbinR5XMZ&c=K_d8AutT8Z2Lg_kPz8ezHBIiiNgxAjFdan8l-jN1nwjGIZXz1Db55A==&ch=o1fXGMG4ABhQkt0_koUQddl4_-iknnqgtvbFiTgosM5TYUSAKrEAeQ==>

Greetings!
Join us as we feature participants from HighFly Aviation Tech Co., Ltd., located in China! Tune-in November 17 @ 7:00 PM EST!

On June 13, 2015 Capt Judy will depart Burbank, CA in the Citation Mustang donated by Ardwin Freight.  China will be featured as one of the numerous visits to participating Think Global Flight Student Command Centers located across the globe.
Think Global Flight, an around the world flight of adventure promoting education and inspiring students; reaching over 20,000 students in 25 countries and 31 U.S. States; recognized by the FAA and U.S. Department of Education for real world application to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S.T.E.M.); Tax deductible, non profit, 501c3, all donations go toward either the flight or education
[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/283.jpg]

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/284.jpg]

<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/index.html>
Rosetta's 'Philae' Returns Panoramic Image
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/index.html>
The Philae lander of the European Space Agency's Rosetta mission has returned the first panoramic image from the surface of a comet. The unprocessed image, as captured by the lander's CIVA-P imaging system, shows a 360-degree view around the point of final touchdown.

> First Panoramic View from Comet Lander<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/>
> More Rosetta images<http://www.nasa.gov/rosetta/>
> NASA Statement on Successful Rosetta Comet Landing<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/november/nasa-statement-on-successful-rosetta-comet-landing/>

<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/november/nasa-s-orion-spacecraft-arrives-at-launch-pad-hoisted-onto-rocket-ahead-of-its/index.html>
Orion Arrives at Launch Pad, Hoisted Onto Rocket
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/november/nasa-s-orion-spacecraft-arrives-at-launch-pad-hoisted-onto-rocket-ahead-of-its/index.html>
NASA's Orion spacecraft is at its launch pad after completing its penultimate journey early Wednesday. It arrived at Space Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 3:07 a.m. EST, where the spacecraft was lifted onto a ULA Delta IV Heavy rocket for its first trip to space. Orion will travel almost 60,000 miles into space Thursday, Dec. 4 during an uncrewed flight designed to test many of the spacecraft's systems before it begins carrying astronauts on missions to deep space destinations.

<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/index.html>
Rosetta's 'Philae' Returns Panoramic Image
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/index.html>
The Philae lander of the European Space Agency's Rosetta mission has returned the first panoramic image from the surface of a comet. The unprocessed image, as captured by the lander's CIVA-P imaging system, shows a 360-degree view around the point of final touchdown.

> First Panoramic View from Comet Lander<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/pia18879/first-panoramic-view-from-comet-lander/>
> More Rosetta images<http://www.nasa.gov/rosetta/>
> NASA Statement on Successful Rosetta Comet Landing<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/november/nasa-statement-on-successful-rosetta-comet-landing/>
<http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2014/14-169.html>
Telescopes Find Black Hole May Be Neutrino Factory
 <http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/news/news/releases/2014/14-169.html>
The giant black hole at the center of the Milky Way may be producing mysterious particles called neutrinos. If confirmed, this would be the first time scientists have traced neutrinos back to a black hole. Neutrinos are tiny particles that carry no charge and interact very weakly with electrons and protons. Unlike light or charged particles, neutrinos can emerge from deep within their cosmic sources and travel across the universe without being absorbed by intervening matter or, in the case of charged particles, deflected by magnetic fields.