[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon May 12 07:04:01 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 The visit to Missouri went great....I went to Newburg Elem, Middle, & HS and really enjoyed the time with the kids...it was really fun as one girl, Abby, about 11, said she remembered me when I was at a different school she was attending about 3 years ago...she had remembered it and was so cute with being so excited to get another chance to spend some time...so I made sure I was able to spend some time with her as well take some pictures for her...it's feel so good to think it impacted her in a way that she has thought about it all this time...she told me she had tried not to wash her hand because we had shook hands :) :) so it was really fun to make her feel special, I hope I did as much for her as she did for me ....I know the school year is really winding down as this month is almost half over with allot of schools finishing this month. This week will be very busy on the ISS with lots of live NASA TV coverage: http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/may/nasa-television-to-air-expedition-39-crews-return-from-space-station/#.U3C08_ldU1J I hope you can share some of this with the kids, go to the subject link for additional info & updates as well as excellent videos, educational links, and games for the kids. Wishing you a very happy day. We have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun! Gabe

 NASA Television to Air Expedition 39 Crew's Return from Space Station
Three crew members currently aboard the International Space Station are scheduled to end more than six months on the orbiting laboratory Tuesday, May 13 (U.S. time), and NASA Television will provide complete coverage of their return to Earth, from farewells to landing.
Expedition 39 Commander Koichi Wakata of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, Flight Engineer Rick Mastracchio of NASA and Soyuz commander Mikhail Tyurin of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) will undock their Soyuz TMA-11M spacecraft from the station at 6:36 p.m. EDT. The spacecraft will land southeast of the remote town of Dzhezkazgan in Kazakhstan at 9:57 p.m. (7:57 a.m. May 14 local time in Dzhezkazgan). Their return will wrap up 188 days in space since launching from Kazakhstan Nov. 7

Spacewalk Training at the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTA5LjMyMDQwNjExJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUwOS4zMjA0MDYxMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODc0Mzc0JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/spacewalk-training-at-the-neutral-buoyancy-laboratory>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/jsc2012e237446.jpg?itok=lqBpLJdh]
In this image taken on Nov. 7, 2012, NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman and European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst (partially obscured), both Expedition 40/41 flight engineers, attired in training versions of their Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU) spacesuits, are submerged in the waters of the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory (NBL) near NASA's Johnson Space Center. Divers (out of frame) are in the water to assist Wiseman and Gerst in their rehearsal, which is intended to help prepare them for work on the exterior of the International Space Station. Wiseman, Gerst and Maxim Suraev of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) will launch to the space station aboard a Soyuz spacecraft on May 28, 2014, from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan. They are scheduled to return to Earth in November. Image Credit: NASA

Saturn's C and B Rings From the Inside Out<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTA4LjMyMDAxOTIxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUwOC4zMjAwMTkyMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODczNjQ4JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/saturns-c-and-b-rings-from-the-inside-out>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/pia05076.jpg?itok=AASBaXis]
On July 1, 2004, NASA's Cassini spacecraft arrived at Saturn, marking the end of the spacecraft's nearly seven-year journey through the solar system as well as the beginning of its tour of Saturn, its rings, moons and magnetosphere. This image, taken on June 30, 2004 during Cassini's orbital insertion at Saturn, shows, from left to right, the outer portion of the C ring and inner portion of the B ring. The B ring begins a little more than halfway across the image. The general pattern is from "dirty" particles indicated by red to cleaner ice particles shown in turquoise in the outer parts of the rings. The ring system begins from the inside out with the D, C, B and A rings followed by the F, G and E rings. This image was taken with the Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph instrument, which is capable of resolving the rings to show features up to 97 kilometers (60 miles) across, roughly 100 times the resolution of ultraviolet data obtained by the Voyager 2 spacecraft. Image Credit: NASA/JPL/University of Colorado

Inside the Flame Nebula<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTA3LjMxOTY2MjIxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUwNy4zMTk2NjIyMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODcyODE1JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/flame-nebula.html>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/flame.jpg?itok=05bhVr2L]
Stars are often born in clusters, in giant clouds of gas and dust. Astronomers have studied two star clusters using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory and infrared telescopes and the results show that the simplest ideas for the birth of these clusters cannot work, as described in our latest press release. This composite image shows one of the clusters, NGC 2024, which is found in the center of the so-called Flame Nebula about 1,400 light years from Earth. In this image, X-rays from Chandra are seen as purple, while infrared data from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope are colored red, green, and blue. A study of NGC 2024 and the Orion Nebula Cluster, another region where many stars are forming, suggest that the stars on the outskirts of these clusters are older than those in the central regions. This is different from what the simplest idea of star formation predicts, where stars are born first in the center of a collapsing cloud of gas and dust when the density is large enough. The research team developed a two-step process to make this discovery. First, they used Chandra data on the brightness of the stars in X-rays to determine their masses. Next, they found out how bright these stars were in infrared light using data from Spitzer, the 2MASS telescope, and the United Kingdom Infrared Telescope. By combining this information with theoretical models, the ages of the stars throughout the two clusters could be estimated. According to the new results, the stars at the center of NGC 2024 were about 200,000 years old while those on the outskirts were about 1.5 million years in age. In Orion, the age spread went from 1.2 million years in the middle of the cluster to nearly 2 million years for the stars toward the edges. Explanations for the new findings can be grouped into three broad categories. The first is that star formation is continuing to occur in the inner regions. This could have happened because the gas in the outer regions of a star-forming cloud is thinner and more diffuse than in the inner regions. Over time, if the density falls below a threshold value where it can no longer collapse to form stars, star formation will cease in the outer regions, whereas stars will continue to form in the inner regions, leading to a concentration of younger stars there. Another suggestion is that old stars have had more time to drift away from the center of the cluster, or be kicked outward by interactions with other stars. Finally, the observations could be explained if young stars are formed in massive filaments of gas that fall toward the center of the cluster. The combination of X-rays from Chandra and infrared data is very powerful for studying populations of young stars in this way. With telescopes that detect visible light, many stars are obscured by dust and gas in these star-forming regions, as shown in this optical image of the region. NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., manages the Chandra program for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Mass., controls Chandra's science and flight operations. Image credit: X-ray: NASA/CXC/PSU/K.Getman, E.Feigelson, M.Kuhn & the MYStIX team; Infrared:NASA/JPL-Caltech > View large image > Chandra on Flickr

Earth's Atmospheric Layers<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNTA2LjMxOTIyNzgxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDUwNi4zMTkyMjc4MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODcyMDcwJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/earths-atmospheric-layers>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/earth20140425_0_1.jpg?itok=16ZR4BlT]
International Space Station astronauts captured this photo of Earth's atmospheric layers on July 31, 2011, revealing the troposphere (orange-red), stratosphere and above. Satellite instruments allow scientists to better understand the chemistry and dynamics occurring within and between these layers. NASA monitors Earth's vital signs from land, air and space with a fleet of satellites and ambitious and ground-based observation campaigns. NASA develops new ways to observe and study Earth's interconnected natural systems with long-term data records and computer analysis tools to better see how our planet is changing. The agency shares this unique knowledge with the global community and works with institutions in the United States and around the world that contribute to understanding and protecting our home planet. > National Climate Assessment > Administrator's Blog: NASA's Role in Climate Assessment > Earth Right Now Image Credit: NASA/JSC Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth