[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Tue Jul 29 06:18:37 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a great weekend and start to the week...we were able to see the launch last night, it had been postponed 4 times but lifted off to a clear blue sky and I hope some of you were able to see it...you can go to http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ to see a replay, I hope you can share it with the kids. Everything is great here....hard to believe some schools will be starting back in a couple of weeks...the time goes so fast...there is also a launch tonight on NASA TV which will be covered live starting at 7:15 on NASA TV, for NASA TV streaming video, downlink and scheduling information, visit:
http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv so there is always something going on...I'm beginning to get a little concerned as this situation with Russia continues to deteriorate and hope it does not affect the space relationship  which allows our astronauts to go back and forth to the space station, (we do pay them roughly $70 million) so that may be something which will help but I still wish we did not have to depend on them or anyone. Wishing everyone a wonderful day...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun! gabe

Space surveillance craft launched by Delta 4 rocket
A pair of covertly developed inspector satellites to monitor collision threats and nefarious activities in geosynchronous orbit for U.S. Strategic Command blasted off Monday aboard a Delta 4 rocket.

NASA TV Coverage Set For European Cargo Ship Launch to Space Station<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzIzLjM0Mzg1OTMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcyMy4zNDM4NTkzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTIyNzkyJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/july/nasa-tv-coverage-set-for-european-cargo-ship-launch-to-space-station> NASA Television will broadcast live the launch and docking of the European Space Agency's (ESA's) fifth and final Automated Transfer Vehicle (ATV-5) cargo spacecraft to the International Space Station.

It's interesting  to remember that during the early space missions the astronauts were in quarantine (I think 21 days) until it was determined they were not infected from space...
President Nixon Greets the Returning Apollo 11 Astronauts<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzI0LjM0NDEwMzQxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcyNC4zNDQxMDM0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTIzMjI0JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/president-nixon-greets-the-returning-apollo-11-astronauts>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/ksc-69p-670.jpg?itok=WX6p_kZi]
The Apollo 11 astronauts, left to right, Commander Neil A. Armstrong, Command Module Pilot Michael Collins and Lunar Module Pilot Edwin E. "Buzz" Aldrin Jr., inside the Mobile Quarantine Facility aboard the USS Hornet, listen to President Richard M. Nixon on July 24, 1969 as he welcomes them back to Earth and congratulates them on the successful mission. The astronauts had splashed down in the Pacific Ocean at 12:50 p.m. EDT about 900 miles southwest of Hawaii. Apollo 11 launched from Cape Kennedy on July 16, 1969, carrying the astronauts into an initial Earth-orbit of 114 by 116 miles. An estimated 530 million people watched Armstrong's televised image and heard his voice describe the event as he took "...one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" on July 20, 1969. > Apollo 11 and NASA's Next Giant Leap Image Credit: NASA

NASA's Webb Sunshield Stacks Up to Test!<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzI1LjM0NDU0MTAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcyNS4zNDQ1NDEwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTI0MDk3JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasas-webb-sunshield-stacks-up-to-test>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/sunshieldstackup-photo_3.jpg?itok=n-Tw2K_g]
The Sunshield on NASA's James Webb Space Telescope is the largest part of the observatory-five layers of thin membrane that must unfurl reliably in space to precise tolerances. Last week, for the first time, engineers stacked and unfurled a full-sized test unit of the Sunshield and it worked perfectly. The Sunshield is about the length of a tennis court, and will be folded up like an umbrella around the Webb telescope's mirrors and instruments during launch. Once it reaches its orbit, the Webb telescope will receive a command from Earth to unfold, and separate the Sunshield's five layers into their precisely stacked arrangement with its kite-like shape. The Sunshield test unit was stacked and expanded at a cleanroom in the Northrop Grumman facility in Redondo Beach, California. The Sunshield separates the observatory into a warm sun-facing side and a cold side where the sunshine is blocked from interfering with the sensitive infrared instruments. The infrared instruments need to be kept very cold (under 50 K or -370 degrees F) to operate.   The Sunshield protects these sensitive instruments with an effective sun protection factor or SPF of 1,000,000 (suntan lotion generally has an SPF of 8-50). In addition to providing a cold environment, the Sunshield provides a thermally stable environment. This stability is essential to maintaining proper alignment of the primary mirror segments as the telescope changes its orientation to the sun. The James Webb Space Telescope is the successor to NASA's Hubble Space Telescope. It will be the most powerful space telescope ever built. Webb is an international project led by NASA with its partners, the European Space Agency and the Canadian Space Agency. For more information about the Webb telescope, visit:  www.jwst.nasa.gov<http://www.jwst.nasa.gov> or www.nasa.gov/webb<http://www.nasa.gov/webb> For more information on the Webb Sunshield, visit:  http://jwst.nasa.gov/sunshield.html Photo Credit: NASA/Chris Gunn Rob Gutro NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

NASA's Mars Spacecraft Maneuvers to Prepare for Close Comet Flyby<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzI1LjM0NDY2OTYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcyNS4zNDQ2Njk2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTI0NDQyJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/july/nasa-s-mars-spacecraft-maneuvers-to-prepare-for-close-comet-flyby>

 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/main_sidingspring_version07b-01_2.png>
This graphic depicts the orbit of comet C/2013 A1 Siding Spring as it swings around the sun in 2014. On Oct. 19, the comet will have a very close pass at Mars. Its nucleus will miss Mars by about 82,000 miles (132,000 kilometers).