[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri Jul 18 08:08:30 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a great week and are enjoying each day as you pass through it. Next week there will both an undocking (Monday) and docking (Wednesday) of supply ships to the ISS...NASA TV will carry them live and will replay them so hopefully you can share it with the kids...see the link below. Everything is going great here...always enjoying the summer time and the opportunity to soak up the sun :)  Wishing you a wonderful day and weekend ahead...we have to remember to always live in the present, do our best, enjoy everything we do, smile & have fun...Gabe

Space Station Cargo Ship Activities to Air on NASA TV<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzE2LjM0MTQ5NDMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcxNi4zNDE0OTQzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTE4MjU2JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/july/space-station-cargo-ship-activities-to-air-on-nasa-tv> NASA Television will broadcast live the departure of an unpiloted Russian cargo spacecraft from the International Space Station (ISS) on Monday, July 21, and the launch and docking of its replacement Wednesday, July 23.

Hubble Sees a Galaxy With a Glowing Heart<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzExLjMzOTU2NDMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcxMS4zMzk1NjQzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTE0MzEwJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/hubble-sees-a-galaxy-with-a-glowing-heart>
 a light year is 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles; 10 trillion (10,000,000,000,000) kilometers

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/potw1427a.jpg?itok=Nmcv9tJ_]
This view, captured by the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope, shows a nearby spiral galaxy known as NGC 1433. At about 32 million light-years from Earth, it is a type of very active galaxy known as a Seyfert galaxy - a classification that accounts for 10% of all galaxies. They have very bright, luminous centers that are comparable in brightness to that of our entire galaxy, the Milky Way. Galaxy cores are of great interest to astronomers. The centers of most, if not all, galaxies are thought to contain a supermassive black hole, surrounded by a disk of in-falling material. NGC 1433 is being studied as part of a survey of 50 nearby galaxies known as the Legacy ExtraGalactic UV Survey (LEGUS). Ultraviolet radiation is observed from galaxies, mainly tracing the most recently formed stars. In Seyfert galaxies, ultraviolet light is also thought to emanate from the accretion discs around their central black holes. Studying these galaxies in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum is incredibly useful to study how the gas is behaving near the black hole. This image was obtained using a mix of ultraviolet, visible, and infrared light. LEGUS will study a full range of properties from a sample of galaxies, including their internal structure. This Hubble survey will provide a unique foundation for future observations with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) and the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA). ALMA has already caught unexpected results relating to the center of NGC 1433, finding a surprising spiral structure in the molecular gas close to the center of NGC 1433. The astronomers also found a jet of material flowing away from the black hole, extending for only 150 light-years - the smallest such molecular outflow ever observed in a galaxy beyond our own. European Space Agency Credit: ESA/Hubble & NASA, Acknowledgements: D. Calzetti (UMass) and the LEGUS Team

Changes Near Downhill End of a Martian Gully<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzE0LjM0MDE5NDkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcxNC4zNDAxOTQ5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTE1NTgyJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/changes-near-downhill-end-of-a-martian-gully>

This image of the surface of Mars covers a location that has been captured several times by the HiRISE camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter to look for changes in gullies. Changes have now been seen in many gullies on Mars, and show that these landforms are evolving rapidly. The timing of the changes is often in winter or early spring, suggesting that they are caused by the carbon dioxide frost that forms in and around most gullies every year. > NASA Spacecraft Observes Further Evidence of Dry Ice Gullies on Mars HiRISE is one of six instruments on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter. The University of Arizona, Tucson, operates HiRISE, which was built by Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp., Boulder, Colo. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena, manages the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Project for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, Washington. Image Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Univ. of Arizona

Launch of Apollo 11<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzE2LjM0MTE5MzMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcxNi4zNDExOTMzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTE3MzgzJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/launch-of-apollo-11>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/thumbnails/image/s69-39961.jpg?itok=LWDBqwSy]
On July 16, 1969, the huge, 363-feet tall Saturn V rocket launches on the Apollo 11 mission from Pad A, Launch Complex 39, Kennedy Space Center, at 9:32 a.m. EDT. Onboard the Apollo 11 spacecraft are astronauts Neil A. Armstrong, commander; Michael Collins, command module pilot; and Edwin E. Aldrin Jr., lunar module pilot. Apollo 11 was the United States' first lunar landing mission. While astronauts Armstrong and Aldrin descended in the Lunar Module "Eagle" to explore the Sea of Tranquility region of the moon, astronaut Collins remained with the Command and Service Modules "Columbia" in lunar orbit. > Apollo 11 and NASA's Next Giant Leap Photo Credit: NASA

Caribbean Sea Viewed From the International Space Station<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNzE3LjM0MTc3NTIxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDcxNy4zNDE3NzUyMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTE4NzI0JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/caribbean-sea-viewed-from-the-international-space-station>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/thumbnails/image/14648179676_db2001e0fa_o.jpg?itok=QYcmqL-W]