[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html; https://spaceflightnow.com;

Gabe gabe at educatemotivate.com
Mon May 9 22:39:59 CDT 2022

Good evening all….

 I know this is late but I still want to wish all the moms around the world a Very Happy Mother's Day. I always say we should all join in each other’s holiday because despite our different country, culture, language, dress…we are all the same…this is especially true with moms...I see it everywhere…moms interact with their kids the same…loving, giving, caring…always protecting them from the time they are born, their whole lives…to all THE TEACHER MOMS…you impact kids in ways that shape their lives, are often their best friend, and give them hope. To all the pet moms you give your love and care from your heart and share a very special love…I hope you had A DAY FILLED WITH LOVE, JOY, HAPPINESS, AND THAT YOU WERE MADE TO FEEL SO VERY SPECIAL…

 It is so difficult to comprehend we are almost half way through May…many schools in the US only have 2 weeks before summer vacation…it is so beyond my comprehension how fast time is going…I know I say this often but it is so strange…I always enjoy each day, find positives in everything, and I am always so thankful…living in Florida is perfect for me…I love the hot weather, sunshine, beaches…the space program is continuing to go forward…the SLS Rocket an Orion Capsule or back in the VAB for further testing for its first flight this year….Space X has been launching almost weekly which is awesome as rocket launches are very special…a major step in increasing missions to space will be on May 19th when Boeing will launch a 2nd test flight of Starliner spacecraft for NASA.

We have to stay positive and always be thankful… remembering to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs… STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

NASA’s SpaceX Crew-3 to Discuss Mission After Returning to Earth
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/iss067e022576.jpeg>
The four commercial crew astronauts representing the SpaceX Crew-3 mission are pictured in their Dragon spacesuits for a fit check aboard the International Space Station's Harmony module on April 21, 2022. From left, are ESA (European Space Agency) astronaut Matthias Maurer, and NASA astronauts Tom Marshburn, Raja Chari, and Kayla Barron.
Credits: NASA
Astronauts of NASA’s SpaceX Crew-3 mission, including crew members from NASA and ESA (European Space Agency), will answer questions about their recent mission aboard the International Space Station during a post-splashdown news conference at 11:45 a.m. EDT Wednesday, May 11. The event will air live on NASA Television, the NASA app <https://www.nasa.gov/connect/apps.html>, and the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>. NASA astronauts Kayla Barron <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/barron-kayla>, Raja Chari <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/raja-chari> and Tom Marshburn <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/thomas-h-marshburn>, as well as ESA astronaut Matthias Maurer <https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Human_and_Robotic_Exploration/Cosmic_kiss>, will participate in this first media event following their splashdown. The Crew-3 astronauts also will participate in a Facebook Live on the NASA Astronauts’ Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/NASAAstronauts> at 10:50 a.m. ahead of the news conference. Reporters who wish to participate must RSVP to the newsroom at NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston at: jsccommu at mail.nasa.gov <mailto:jsccommu at mail.nasa.gov> or 281-483-5111 no later than 9:45 a.m. Wednesday, May 11 to receive dial-in information. To ask questions, reporters must dial into the news conference no later than 11:40 a.m. Those following the briefing on social media may ask questions using #AskNASA. Barron, Chari, Marshburn, and Maurer, returned to Earth in a parachute-assisted splashdown in SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft Endurance at 12:43 a.m. Friday, May 6, off the coast of Florida. After returning to shore, the astronauts flew back to Houston, where they were greeted by their families and colleagues. Crew-3 astronauts traveled 75,060,792 miles during their 177 days in orbit (175 of which were spent aboard the International Space Station <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html>). They completed 2,832 orbits around Earth. During their science expedition aboard the orbiting laboratory, the Crew-3 astronauts conducted experiments, including a study on concrete hardening <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=8538> in microgravity, research on cotton varieties <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=8341> that could help develop drought-resistant plants, and executed a space archaeology <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=8684> study that could provide information that contributes to the design of future space habitats. They tested new life support <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Investigation.html?#id=8040> technology, installed new combustion research hardware <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/glenn/2022/fighting-fire-with-fire-new-space-station-experiments-study-flames-in-space>, and talked to thousands of students during dozens of amateur radio <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/explorer/Facility.html?#id=337> contacts. Working in pairs, the astronauts also completed four spacewalks to prepare the station for upcoming solar array upgrades <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/new-solar-arrays-to-power-nasa-s-international-space-station-research> by assembling and installing modification kits and successfully replacing a faulty antenna <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2021/12/02/nasa-astronauts-replace-antenna-system-ending-spacewalk/> on the Port-1 truss structure. This was the third flight of a NASA-certified commercial human spacecraft flown as part of the agency’s Commercial Crew Program <https://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew/>, and the fourth crewed flight to the space station aboard a SpaceX Dragon spacecraft. Follow Barron <https://www.instagram.com/astro_kayla/?hl=en>, Chari <https://www.instagram.com/astro_raja/>, Marshburn <https://www.instagram.com/astromarshburn/>, and Maurer <https://www.instagram.com/esamatthiasmaurer/> on social media, learn more about their scientific journey, and download images and video on NASA’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/subject/19955/crew3/>.Get the latest NASA space station news, images and features on Instagram <https://instagram.com/iss>, Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/iss>, and Twitter <https://www.twitter.com/Space_Station>.Follow updates on NASA’s Commercial Crew Program: https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/crew/index.html <https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/crew/index.html>

Night sky fans, on May 15-16 look up to see the blood-red spectacle that is a total lunar eclipse.
NASA Science Live: Watch a Total Lunar Eclipse:  https://trib.al/REnV2rb <https://trib.al/REnV2rb?fbclid=IwAR3J2jaVd7cY-Bnf2msrf_M8pBegdB86im2JnFCCh9MXuwu1mwFBxx__hZM>
https://www.space.com/super-blood-moon-total-lunar-eclipse-webcasts-may-2022 <https://www.space.com/super-blood-moon-total-lunar-eclipse-webcasts-may-2022>

Japanese Lantern Effect; Larry Johnson, CC license
A lunar eclipse occurs when the full moon slips into the Earth’s shadow—and those watching from South America and the eastern side of North America are in for quite the show

If you’re an eclipse hunter living in North America’s west, or in Africa or Europe – you’ll also get to experience real beauty in the shape of not a total, but a partial lunar eclipse. Such an eclipse can be a wonder to see, as it gives viewers the chance to witness the Japanese Lantern Effect—according to Farmer’s Almanac, <https://www.farmersalmanac.com/november-19-lunar-eclipse-timetable> in such moments the surface of the moon appears the color of glowing copper, gradating down to a beautiful “uneclipsed yellow sliver.”
To get precise times for the eclipse spectacular where you are, TimeandDate.com <https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2022-may-16> has you covered. Of course, as this is a lunar rather than a solar eclipse, you don’t need to worry about damaging your eyes by looking up. And if you miss this one? Not to worry. The next will occur on November 7th-8th, 2022. We’ll be sure to remind you of that event in advance.

Boeing to launch 2nd test flight of Starliner spacecraft for NASA on May 19
By Elizabeth Howell  <https://www.space.com/author/elizabeth-howell>published 12 days ago
The company will take a second try to reach the International Space Station during an uncrewed mission.

Boeing's Starliner OFT-2 spacecraftis mated to a new service module on March 2022 ahead of its planned test flight on May 19, 2022. (Image credit: Boeing)
Boeing is finally ready to test Starliner again in space.

The commercial crew spacecraft is set for a test launch, dubbed OFT-2 (Orbital Flight Test-2) no earlier than May 19 as Boeing <https://www.space.com/the-boeing-company> seeks to certify its Starliner <https://www.space.com/19367-boeing-cst-100.html>vehicle for future NASA astronaut flights.

Liftoff will take place from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida, NASA said in a recent release <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-invites-media-to-cover-boeing-s-orbital-flight-test-2-mission>. Liftoff is scheduled for 6:54 p.m. EDT (2254 GMT), according to SpaceFlightNow <https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/>. The test will be an opportunity for Boeing to once again simulate a mission to the International Space Station <https://www.space.com/16748-international-space-station.html>. Starliner will ride atop a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket <https://www.space.com/40250-atlas-v-rocket.html> as Boeing seeks to ready the spacecraft for launch, docking and return-to-Earth operations.

This mission will be the second attempt for Starliner after a flawed OFT-1 mission <https://www.space.com/nasa-boeing-starliner-test-flight-investigation-complete.html> in December 2019 and numerous technical problems with OFT-2's development.

James Webb Space Telescope enters commissioning 'homestretch' with stunning image
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/pbeHCKojllDsuLrkCifPauBWcNmiea?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/pbeHCKojllDsuLrkCifPauBWcNmiea>
(NASA/JPL-Caltech (left), NASA/ESA/CSA/STScI (right))
The Large Magellanic Cloud is sharper than ever in the infrared eyes of the James Webb Space Telescope. As the $10 billion observatory enters the "homestretch" of its commissioning work, according to officials, Webb's latest image showed off the telescope's literally stellar performance using its coldest instrument, the Mid-Infrared Instrument.

Cameras caught a 'space jellyfish' fly over Georgia. Here's what it really was.
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/pbatCKojllDsuzbICifPauBWcNEKCe?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/pbatCKojllDsuzbICifPauBWcNEKCe>
(Virtual Railfan / Twitter)
In the wee morning hours of Thursday (May 5), a camera in Waycross, Georgia witnessed a mysterious object streaking through the sky. Bright, fast and trailed by a glowing oblong aura, the object looked a bit like a space jellyfish, as Chris Combs, a professor of aerodynamics and mechanical engineering at the University of Texas at San Antonio put it on Twitter.

Of course, as Combs pointed out, this space jelly was no UFO – it was a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launching from Florida's Kennedy Space Center, roughly 250 miles (400 kilometers) south of the camera. Dozens of rockets leave the launchpad at Kennedy every year, but few of them could rightly be mistaken for a bioluminescent invertebrate in the sky.

NASA’s Swift Tracks Potential Magnetic Flip of Monster Black Hole
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-swift-tracks-potential-magnetic-flip-of-monster-black-hole <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/nasa-s-swift-tracks-potential-magnetic-flip-of-monster-black-hole>
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/1es_agn_aurore.jpg>
A rare and enigmatic outburst from a galaxy 236 million light-years away may have been sparked by a magnetic reversal, a spontaneous flip of the magnetic field surrounding its central black hole. In a comprehensive new study, an international science team links the eruption’s unusual characteristics to changes in the black hole’s environment that likely would be triggered by such a magnetic switch.
https://youtu.be/cHmXuo39qz4 <https://youtu.be/cHmXuo39qz4>

Black Holes Are Hard to Find

Black holes are hard to find. They have such strong gravity that light can’t escape them, so scientists must rely on clues from their surroundings to find them.

When a star weighing more than 20 times the Sun runs out of fuel, it collapses into a black hole <https://tmblr.co/Zz_UqjYyCW2q0i00>. Scientists estimate that there are tens of millions of these black holes dotted around the Milky Way, but so far we’ve only identified a few dozen.

This image from 2001 is an artist's impression of a black hole accretion disk <https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/10139#:~:text=Released%20on%20July%203%2C%202007,falls%20into%20the%20black%20hole.>. Around many black holes is an accretion disk of material emitting energy as it falls into the black hole.

Learn more about black holes <https://www.nasa.gov/subject/6895/black-holes/>. Image Credit: XMM-Newton, ESA, NASA