[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html; https://spaceflightnow.com; https://www.jpl.nasa.gov

Gabe gabe at educatemotivate.com
Thu Jun 16 09:50:17 CDT 2022

Hi from Brazil…

  It has been an amazing two weeks, I have spoken with thousands of kids in 4 cities…the travel and schedule has been extremely full but this is why I do it..I want the opportunity to speak with as many kids as possible…the goal is always to let them know they have choices…that they can be successful, to believe in themselves, to set their goals very high, the steps to achieve them small…so many struggle, they only hear negatives, they lack confidence and hope…recently, a young friend in Norway, 18 years old, who I have known since he was 9…committed suicide…it devastated his family and friends…he appeared to have everything going for him…the kids hide it so well…I know I help so many, the correspondence is amazing…I am so thankful for the connections and the opportunities…many criticize me because I ask for no money, I pay my own air fare…it is never about money, the feelings that come back to me…money can never buy this…

 I really have not had much time to keep up with he space program but Artemus is on the launch pad undergoing more testing… a little disappointed because I missed both opportunities to see it but what I am doing is so much more rewarding…I hope you all are following along…this will be an historic event, the it launches…

We have to stay positive and always be thankful… remembering to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs… STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov

NASA to Discuss, Conduct Test to Prepare for Artemis I Moon Mission
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/artemis_image.jpg>
NASA’s Artemis I Moon rocket – carried atop the crawler-transporter 2 – rolls out of the Vehicle Assembly Building at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida on June 6, 2022, beginning the 4.2-mile journey to Launch Complex 39B.
Credits: NASA/Ben Smegelsky
NASA is targeting Saturday, June 18, for the beginning of the next wet dress rehearsal test <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-readies-rocket-for-artemis-i-wet-dress-rehearsal/> of the agency’s Space Launch System (SLS) rocket and Orion spacecraft at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida with tanking operations on Monday, June 20. During the test, the launch teams will rehearse operations to load propellant into the rocket’s tanks, conduct a full launch countdown, demonstrate the ability to recycle the countdown clock, and drain the tanks to give them an opportunity to practice the timelines and procedures they will use for launch. NASA will provide live coverage of the test on NASA Television media channel, as well as host media calls before and after the wet dress rehearsal test with audio streaming live on the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>.

Full coverage of the test and associated activities are as follows (all times Eastern):
Monday, June 20
7 a.m. – Live coverage of tanking operations with commentary begins
2:40 p.m. – Target test window

Coverage with live commentary throughout tanking operations will air on the media channel of NASA Television, the NASA app <https://www.nasa.gov/connect/apps.html>, and the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>.
Tuesday, June 21
11 a.m. – Posttest media teleconference with the following participants:
Tom Whitmeyer, deputy associate administrator for Common Exploration Systems Development, NASA Headquarters
Charlie Blackwell-Thompson, Artemis launch director, Exploration Ground Systems Program, Kennedy
John Honeycutt, manager, Space Launch System Program, NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center
Howard Hu, manager, Orion Program, NASA’s Johnson Space Center
Mike Sarafin, Artemis mission manager, NASA Headquarters
To participate by telephone, media must RSVP no later than two hours prior to the start of the event to: ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov <mailto:ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov>.
NASA’s Artemis I <https://www.nasa.gov/artemis-1> Moon rocket returned to the spaceport’s launch pad 39B Monday, June 6, after an eight-hour journey from the Vehicle Assembly Building. Teams are working to secure the SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft and connect the ground systems to the mobile launcher at the pad in preparation of the upcoming tanking test. The rehearsal is the final test needed before launch and will begin at 5 p.m. EDT Saturday, June 18 with “call to stations,” when members of the launch control team will arrive at their consoles to start the approximately two-day countdown <https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/03/31/artemis-i-wet-dress-rehearsal-preparations-underway%e2%80%af%e2%80%af/>. On Monday, June 20, the launch director and mission management team chair decide at approximately 7 a.m. if they are “go” or “no-go” to begin tanking the rocket. The team will count down to a targeted two-hour test window that opens at 2:40 p.m. During the test, the team may hold during the countdown as necessary to verify conditions before resuming the countdown, or extend beyond the test window, if needed and resources allow. Through Artemis <https://www.nasa.gov/artemisprogram> missions, NASA will land the first woman and the first person of color on the Moon, paving the way for a long-term lunar presence and serving as a steppingstone to send astronauts to Mars.
For updates, follow along on NASA’s Artemis blog at: https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis <https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis>

'Dark' black hole wandering the Milky Way may be the smallest yet detected

By Keith Cooper  <https://www.space.com/author/keith-cooper>published 3 days ago

The stellar-mass black hole is likely one of 100 million solitary black holes in the Milky Way, scientists said

Artist's illustration of a black hole drifting through the Milky Way. (Image credit: FECYT, IAC)
A rogue black hole wandering the space lanes of our Milky Way galaxy alone could be the smallest black hole yet found, according to one estimate of its mass.

Earlier this year, astronomers led by Kailash Sahu of the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore, Maryland, announced the discovery of thefirst known isolated stellar-mass black hole <https://www.space.com/rogue-black-hole-isolated-discovery>.

The black hole <https://www.space.com/15421-black-holes-facts-formation-discovery-sdcmp.html> is 5,000 light-years away and was discovered thanks to the power of its gravity to act as a gravitational lens <https://www.space.com/39999-how-gravitational-lenses-work.html>, magnifying the light of a background star 19,000 light-years away. It was initially spotted by two ground-based surveys, the Polish-led Optical Gravitational Lensing Experiment (OGLE) which mostly uses the Las Campanas Observatory in Chile, and the Microlensing Observations in Astrophysics (MOA) project at the Mount John University Observatory in New Zealand.

NASA Invites Media, Public to View Webb Telescope’s First Images
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/webb_advisory.jpg>
An image of the James Webb Space Telescope taken on March 5, 2020.
Credits: NASA/Chris Gunn
NASA, in partnership with ESA (European Space Agency) and CSA (Canadian Space Agency), will release the James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2022/first-images-from-nasa-s-webb-space-telescope-coming-soon> and spectroscopic data during a televised broadcast beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 12, from NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Released one by one, these first images from the world’s largest and most powerful space telescope will demonstrate Webb at its full power, ready to begin its mission to unfold the infrared universe <https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/first-science-images-packet/>. Each image will simultaneously be made available on social media as well as on the agency’s website at: nasa.gov/webbfirstimages <https://www.nasa.gov/webbfirstimages>

NASA, Partner Establish New Research Group for Mars Sample Return Program
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia25277-1041.jpg>
This illustration shows a concept for a proposed NASA Sample Retrieval Lander that would carry a small rocket (about 10 feet, or 3 meters, tall) called the Mars Ascent Vehicle to the Martian surface.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Sixteen scientists from the U.S., Europe, Canada, and Japan have been chosen to help future samples from the Red Planet achieve their full potential.

NASA and ESA (European Space Agency), its partner in the Mars Sample Return Program, have established a new group of researchers to maximize the scientific potential of Mars rock and sediment samples that would be returned to Earth for in-depth analysis. Called the Mars Sample Return Campaign Science Group, the 16 researchers will function as a science resource for the campaign’s project teams as well as for related Earth-based ground projects, such as sample recovery and curation.
“These 16 individuals will be the standard-bearers for Mars Sample Return science,” said Michael Meyer, Mars Exploration Program lead scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington. “They will build the roadmap by which science for this historic endeavor is accomplished – including establishing the processes for sample-related decision-making and designing the procedures that will allow the worldwide scientific community to become involved with these first samples from another world.”

Ninth asteroid added to Lucy mission; optimism grows on solar array issue <https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/14/nasa-making-progress-deploying-stuck-solar-panel-on-lucy-asteroid-probe/>
 <https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/06/14/nasa-making-progress-deploying-stuck-solar-panel-on-lucy-asteroid-probe/>

Engineers have made progress in attempts to fully unfurl a solar array wing that snagged on NASA’s Lucy asteroid explorer shortly after launch last October, adding to optimism that the spacecraft can complete its 12-year mission as planned.

NASA’s Perseverance Celebrates First Year on Mars by Learning to Run
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/1-landing-pia24428-1041.jpg>
The Mars 2020 descent stage lowers NASA’s Perseverance rover onto the Red Planet on Feb. 18, 2021. The image is from video captured by a camera aboard the descent stage.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
 <applewebdata://6FDC48DA-8983-4578-B2F7-BDB847A2E087>
The rover has racked up a series of accomplishments, including new distance records, as it reaches the end of the first of several planned science campaigns on the Red Planet.

NASA’s Perseverance rover has notched up a slew of firsts since touching down on Mars one year ago, on Feb. 18, 2021, and the six-wheeled scientist has other important accomplishments in store as it speeds toward its new destination and a new science campaign. Weighing roughly 1 ton (1,025 kilograms), Perseverance is the heaviest rover ever to touch down on Mars, returning dramatic video <https://youtu.be/4czjS9h4Fpg> of its landing. The rover collected the first rock core samples from another planet (it’s carrying six so far), served as an indispensable base station for Ingenuity, the first helicopter on Mars, and tested MOXIE <https://mars.nasa.gov/news/8926/nasas-perseverance-mars-rover-extracts-first-oxygen-from-red-planet/> (Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment), the first prototype oxygen generator on the Red Planet. Perseverance also recently broke a record for the most distance driven by a Mars rover in a single day, traveling almost 1,050 feet (320 meters) on Feb. 14, 2022, the 351st Martian day, or sol, of the mission. And it performed the entire drive using AutoNav, the self-driving software <https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasas-self-driving-perseverance-mars-rover-takes-the-wheel> that allows Perseverance to find its own path around rocks and other obstacles.
https://youtu.be/3XjGGt0RsJM