[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html; https://spaceflightnow.com; http://jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Wed Sep 22 07:41:33 CDT 2021

Good morning all,

 I hope all is well, everything is excellent here…staying crazy busy, mainly on my car…many know I have a fun convertible but due ti all the travel and other priorities, it has been in need of TLC…which turned into upgrade suspension, brakes, fuel system…”other things”…while I’m there…only swimming one day a week and no gym…hopefully, by Monday, it will be safe and drivable…any of you who come to KSC are always welcome to ride or drive… :-) :-)

 Still excited by the amazing Inspiration4 mission…I would go today, if they said…you ready? :-)

I am sure you are all so busy with the new school year,  probably adjusting day to day…I know in Florida, probably other states as well…there is so much conflict over masks and vaccines…it should be common sense…to me, pretty simple...

there are always new events in space…with JPL., the ISS, and future missions…, see the subject links...the Air Landsat 9 Launch, Landsat 9 is scheduled to launch at 2:11 p.m. EDT (11:11 a.m. PDT) Monday, Sept. 27, on a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V…their are many opportunities to involve kids and lessons to help make it fun for everyone…(see story below)

The James Web telescope is scheduled for December….a huge step in exploring the universe….

We have to stay positive and always be thankful… remembering to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs… STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

when I give presentations, i share about night launches…this is a wonderful, short video…I hope you will share it with your students…
night to day:  https://www.facebook.com/tiagolimasr/videos/2870665459916660 <https://www.facebook.com/tiagolimasr/videos/2870665459916660>

Harvest Moon 2021 offers stunning views to skywatchers around the globe (photos)
By Tereza Pultarova  <https://www.space.com/author/tereza-pultarova>about 19 hours ago

A pilot boat passes the rising Harvest Moon on September 20, 2021 off Swanpool Beach, Falmouth, England. (Image credit: Hugh R Hastings/Getty Images)
Stargazers across the globe celebrated this year's magical Harvest Moon last night (Sept. 20), which marked the end of the summer season just two days before the autumnal equinox.  Last night, skywatchers in America got a clear view of the Harvest Moon <https://www.space.com/33790-harvest-moon-guide.html>, while those in Europe, Asia, Australia and most of Africa could also observe the celestial spectacle, though the moon will only turn perfectly full for them tonight (Sept. 21).

A swimmer enjoying the tranquil Atlantic waters under the rising Harvest Moon in Falmouth, Cornwall, U.K. in this Getty photo by Hugh R Hastings. (Image credi

Scientists watch a galaxy's supermassive black hole shoot out the galaxy's gas
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfbCifOtUBVpVQO?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfbCifOtUBVpVQO>
(NASA/CXC/SAO/NRAO)
There comes a time in every galaxy's life, astronomers think, when the galaxy <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfCCifOtUBVjexp> ejects a large part of its gas, but scientists aren't certain what drives this "mid-life crisis." When that gas ejection happens, a galaxy loses the material it needs to form new stars. A galaxy's younger, bluer stars <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfDCifOtUBVjOII> will start to age out and die, giving away to older, smaller, redder stars. And researchers at New York University Abu Dhabi wondered whether the supermassive black hole <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfECifOtUBVlTqJ> at a galaxy's center might be responsible, so they examined how a black hole's activity helps a galaxy throw out some of its gas. Full Story: Space <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfbCifOtUBVpVQO?format=multipart> (9/20)
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDgsCifOtUBVOwRW>  <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDgtCifOtUBVXAgH>  <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDguCifOtUBVhYlG>  <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDgvCifOtUBVtQyj>

NASA unveils landing site on the moon for ice-hunting VIPER rover
By Mike Wall  <https://www.space.com/author/mike-wall>1 day ago
VIPER will touch down in late 2023 just west of Nobile, a crater near the moon's south pole.

A data visualization showing the mountainous area west of Nobile Crater and the smaller craters that litter its rim at the moon’s south pole. The Nobile region — the landing site for NASA’s ice-hunting VIPER rover — features areas permanently covered in shadow as well as areas that are bathed in sunlight most of the time. (Image credit: NASA)
We now know where NASA's first-ever robotic moon rover will touch down.  The ice-hunting Volatiles Investigating Polar Exploration Rover (VIPER) will land just west of Nobile Crater, which sits near the moon's south pole, NASA officials announced today (Sept. 20). In late 2023, VIPER <https://www.space.com/nasa-viper-moon-rover-launching-in-2022.html> will fly to the moon aboard Griffin, a lander built by Pittsburgh-based company Astrobotic that will launch atop a SpaceX Falcon Heavy <https://www.space.com/39779-falcon-heavy-facts.html> rocket.

"Selecting a landing site for VIPER is an exciting and important decision for all of us," Daniel Andrews, VIPER project manager at NASA's Ames Research Center in Silicon Valley, said in a statement <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-s-artemis-rover-to-land-near-nobile-region-of-moon-s-south-pole>.

"Years of study have gone into evaluating the polar region VIPER will explore," Andrews said. "VIPER is going into uncharted territory — informed by science — to test hypotheses and reveal critical information for future human space exploration."

NASA VIPER moon rover's landing site - Take a tour

https://videos.space.com/m/XHdJA0WF/nasa-viper-moon-rovers-landing-site-take-a-tour?list=9wzCTV4g

SpaceX's private Inspiration4 astronauts had some toilet trouble in space
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfGCifOtUBVumfX?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfGCifOtUBVumfX?format=multipart>I’m sure this was an adventure in micro gravity :-)
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfGCifOtUBVumfX?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfGCifOtUBVumfX>
(SpaceX)
After spending nearly three days in space, SpaceX's Inspiration4 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfHCifOtUBVAAlM> crew may have more appreciation for the facilities here on Earth — namely, the toilets. The historic all-civilian SpaceX mission, which launched Sept. 15 and successfully splashed down <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfICifOtUBVIiRP> on Saturday (Sept. 18), went off without a hitch, except for a minor issue with the Dragon's onboard toilet <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfJCifOtUBVRmgA>. Full Story: Space <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/onuHCKojllDquDfGCifOtUBVumfX?format=multipart> (9/20)

Kids discover giant penguin’s fossil skeleton in New Zealand
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/oniRCKojllDqtVbJCifOtUBVJZOB?format=multipart>
 <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/oniRCKojllDqtVbJCifOtUBVJZOB>
(Simone Giovanardi)
What's black and white and the size of a 10-year-old child? A giant, extinct penguin that lived between 27 million and 35 million years ago in what is now New Zealand.

The enormous diving bird stood about 4.5 feet (1.4 meters) tall and had unusually long legs and beak for a penguin, according to scientists who recently described it as a newfound species. It was discovered in 2006 by fossil-hunting students with the Hamilton Junior Naturalist Club (JUNATS), a natural history club in Hamilton, New Zealand, for children ages 10 to 18. Full Story: LiveScience <http://r.smartbrief.com/resp/oniRCKojllDqtVbJCifOtUBVJZOB?format=multipart> (9/16)

Landsat 9 lifted atop launcher to extend unbroken environmental data record <https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/09/21/next-landsat-lifted-atop-launcher-to-extend-essential-environmental-data-record/>
September 21, 2021
The next Landsat observatory has been mounted on top of a United Launch Alliance Atlas 5 rocket in California for liftoff Sept. 27, continuing an unbroken record of Earth observations to track urban sprawl, water usage, tropical deforestation, retreating glaciers, and more over the last half-century.

 <https://spaceflightnow.com/2021/09/21/next-landsat-lifted-atop-launcher-to-extend-essential-environmental-data-record/>

NASA TV to Air Landsat 9 Launch, Prelaunch Activities
Editor's Note: This advisory was updated Sept. 20 to update the list of participants in the Friday, Sept. 24, science briefing.

NASA will provide coverage of the upcoming prelaunch and launch activities for the Landsat 9 <https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/landsat-9/landsat-9-overview> satellite, a joint NASA and U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) mission that will continue the legacy of monitoring Earth’s land and coastal regions that began with the first Landsat satellite in 1972.

Landsat 9 is scheduled to launch at 2:11 p.m. EDT (11:11 a.m. PDT) Monday, Sept. 27, on a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V 401 rocket from Space Launch Complex 3 at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.
Live launch coverage will begin at 1:30 p.m. EDT (10:30 a.m. PDT), on NASA Television, the NASA app <https://www.nasa.gov/connect/apps.html>, and the agency’s website <https://www.nasa.gov/live>, with prelaunch and science briefings beginning Friday, Sept. 24.
Landsat 9 will join its sister satellite, Landsat 8, in orbit in collecting images from across the planet every eight days. This calibrated data will continue the Landsat program’s critical role in monitoring the health of Earth and helping people manage essential resources, including crops, irrigation water, and forests.
Images from Landsat 9 will be added to nearly 50 years of free and publicly available data from the mission – the longest data record of Earth’s landscapes taken from space. Landsat’s medium-resolution imaging capabilities allows researchers to harmonize the images to detect the footprint of human activities and their impact on our home planet over the decades.
Full mission coverage is as follows (all times Eastern):

Friday, Sept. 24
1 p.m. – Landsat 9 Science Briefing, with the following participants:
Jeff Masek, Landsat 9 project scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center
Chris Crawford, Landsat 9 project scientist at USGS
Inbal Becker-Reshef, director of NASA’s Harvest food security and agriculture program
Del Jenstrom, Landsat 9 project manager at Goddard
Brian Sauer, Landsat 9 project manager at USGS
Sabrina Chapman, manager, system engineering, Northrop Grumman Space Systems
Sarah Lipscy, deputy director, Ball Aerospace
This event is open to all with valid media credentials. Media who would like to ask questions during the science briefing must provide their name and affiliation by 4 p.m. EDT (1 p.m. PDT) Thursday, Sept. 23, to the Kennedy newsroom at: ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov <mailto:ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov>. Media may also ask questions via social media using #Landsat.
Saturday, Sept. 25
4 p.m. – Landsat 9 Prelaunch News Conference, with the following participants:
Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator, NASA’s Science Mission Directorate
Karen St. Germain, director, NASA’s Earth Science Division
Tanya Trujillo, assistant secretary for water and science, U.S. Department of the Interior
Michael Egan, Landsat program executive, NASA’s Earth Science Division
Tim Dunn, launch director, NASA’s Launch Services Program
Scott Messer, United Launch Alliance Program Manager, NASA Launch Services
Capt. Addison Nichols, weather officer, Space Launch Delta 30
This event is open to all with valid media credentials. Media who would like to ask questions during the prelaunch briefing must provide their name and affiliation by 2:30 p.m. EDT (11:30 a.m. PDT) Friday, Sept. 24, to the Kennedy newsroom at: ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov <mailto:ksc-newsroom at mail.nasa.gov>. Media may also ask questions via social media using #Landsat.
Monday, Sept. 27
1:30 p.m. – NASA TV live launch coverage begins
Audio only of the news conferences and launch coverage will be carried on the NASA “V” circuits, which may be accessed by dialing 321-867-1220, -1240, -1260 or -7135. On launch day, "mission audio," the launch conductor’s countdown activities without NASA TV launch commentary, will be carried on 321-867-7135.
Interview requests
Members of the media looking for interviews on the Landsat 9 launch should submit a media request to Jake Richmond at: Jacob.a.richmond at nasa.gov <mailto:Jacob.a.richmond at nasa.gov>. Goddard is coordinating all interview requests.
Public participation
Members of the public can register <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fe%2Flandsat-9-registration-164660715633%3Faff%3Dpr&data=04%7C01%7Ctylar.j.greene%40nasa.gov%7Cc4b121f1fa6a4599e40608d968007673%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C637655173452281216%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=axsZosE%2BDyNpKJuxsiWRj85Q24NRNe9Pm4s%2F2Yoob88%3D&reserved=0> to attend the launch virtually. NASA’s virtual guest program for Landsat 9 includes curated launch resources, a behind-the-scenes look at the mission, and the opportunity for a virtual launch passport stamp following a successful launch. Print, fold, and get ready to fill your virtual guest launch passport <https://go.nasa.gov/38VqQnM>.
Engage kids and students in virtual and hands-on activities that are both family-friendly and educational through Camp Landsat <https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/outreach/camp-landsat>.
Virtual NASA Social
As we finalize launch preparations, we are excited to invite the public to join our virtual NASA Social @NASA_Landsat <https://twitter.com/NASA_Landsat?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor>. Stay up to date on the latest mission activities, interact with NASA and USGS team members in real-time, and watch the launch of the ULA Atlas V rocket that will boost Landsat 9 for its journey into orbit #Landsat.
Watch and engage on social media
Stay connected with the mission on social media, and let people know you're following it on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram using the hashtag #Landsat and tag these accounts:
Twitter: @NASA <https://twitter.com/nasa>, @NASAEarth <https://twitter.com/nasaearth>, @NASA_Landsat <https://twitter.com/NASA_Landsat>, @NASASocial <https://twitter.com/NASASocial>, @NASA_LSP <https://twitter.com/NASA_LSP>, @NASA360 <https://twitter.com/NASA360>, @SLDelta30 <https://twitter.com/sldelta30>
Facebook: NASA <https://www.facebook.com/NASA/>, NASA Earth <https://www.facebook.com/nasaearth/>, NASA LSP <https://www.facebook.com/NASALSP>, SLDelta30 <https://www.facebook.com/30thSpaceWing>
Instagram: NASA <https://www.instagram.com/nasa/>, NASAEarth <https://www.instagram.com/NASAEarth/>, Vandenberg_AFB <https://www.instagram.com/vandenberg_sfb/>
NASA Goddard <https://www.nasa.gov/goddard> manages the Landsat 9 mission. Goddard teams also built and tested one of the two instruments on Landsat 9, the Thermal Infrared Sensor 2 (TIRS-2) instrument. TIRS-2 will use thermal imaging to make measurements that can be used to estimate soil moisture and detect the health of plants. The launch is managed by NASA’s Launch Services Program <https://www.nasa.gov/launchservices/>, based at the agency’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
The USGS Earth Resources Observation and Science Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, will operate the mission and manage the ground system, including maintaining the Landsat archive. Ball Aerospace in Boulder, Colorado, built and tested the Operational Land Imager 2 (OLI-2) instrument, another imaging sensor.
United Launch Alliance is the rocket provider for Landsat 9’s launch. Northrop Grumman in Gilbert, Arizona, built the Landsat 9 spacecraft, integrated the instruments, and tested the observatory.
For more information about Landsat, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/landsat <https://www.nasa.gov/landsat>
Para obtener información sobre cobertura en español en el Centro Espacial Kennedy o si desea solicitar entrevistas en español, comuníquese con Antonia Jaramillo <mailto:antonia.jaramillobotero at nasa.gov> 321-501-8425.

NASA Readies James Webb Space Telescope for December Launch
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/51404134793_3c65116be0_4k.jpg>
After successful completion of its final tests, NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope is seen here being prepared for shipment to its launch site.
Credits: NASA/Chris Gunn
NASA plans to launch the James Webb Space Telescope into orbit Dec. 18, 2021, to serve as the premier deep space observatory for the next decade.

The agency set the new target launch date in coordination with Arianespace after Webb recently and successfully completed its rigorous testing <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2021/nasa-s-james-webb-space-telescope-has-completed-testing> regimen – a major turning point for the mission. The new date also follows Arianespace successfully launching an Ariane 5 rocket in late July and scheduling a launch that will precede Webb. The July launch was the first for an Ariane 5 since August 2020.
Webb, an international program led by NASA with its partners ESA (European Space Agency) and the Canadian Space Agency, will launch on an Ariane 5 from Europe's Spaceport in French Guiana on the northeastern coast of South America. ESA is providing the Ariane 5.
The highly complex space telescope is currently resting in its final stow configuration at Northrop Grumman’s facilities in Redondo Beach, California.
“Webb is an exemplary mission that signifies the epitome of perseverance,” said Gregory L. Robinson, Webb’s program director at NASA Headquarters in Washington. “I am inspired by our dedicated team and our global partnerships that have made this incredible endeavor possible. Together, we’ve overcome technical obstacles along the way as well as challenges during the coronavirus pandemic. I also am grateful for the steadfast support of Congress. Now that we have an observatory and a rocket ready for launch, I am looking forward to the big day and the amazing science to come.”
The Webb team is preparing for shipment operations, during which the observatory will undergo final closeout procedures and packing for its journey to the launch site. The major elements of the Ariane 5 rocket that will carry Webb into space have safely arrived <https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.esa.int%2FESA_Multimedia%2FImages%2F2021%2F09%2FAriane_5_elements_for_Webb_launch_reach_Europe_s_Spaceport%23.YTdoAvZwC0Y.link&data=04%7C01%7Crobert.j.margetta%40nasa.gov%7C984f323f2ccc46619c9a08d972c6743d%7C7005d45845be48ae8140d43da96dd17b%7C0%7C0%7C637667018934190621%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=zj%2BrTbYOoM%2BnWLobXDOa8MxxhtW5NJLY6Tv%2Fpfmlol4%3D&reserved=0> in Kourou, French Guiana, from Europe.
The Webb telescope <http://www.nasa.gov/webb>’s revolutionary technology will explore every phase of cosmic history – from within our solar system to the most distant observable galaxies in the early universe, and everything in between. Webb will reveal new and unexpected discoveries, and help humankind understand the origins of the universe and our place in it.
For further information about the Webb mission, visit: www.webb.nasa.gov <http://www.webb.nasa.gov/>
For information about the construction and engineering of the Webb telescope, visit: www.nasa.gov/webb <http://www.nasa.gov/webb>
Image 1 of 7

A swimmer enjoying the tranquil Atlantic waters under the rising Harvest Moon in Falmouth, Cornwall, U.K. in this Getty photo by Hugh R Hastings. (Image credit: Hugh R Hastings/Getty Images)

A 98.8% Harvest Moon rises behind Hudson Yards in New York City on Sept. 19, 2021 as seen from West Orange, New Jersey by photographer Alexander Krivenyshev. (Image credit: Alexander Krivenyshev)

A pilot boat passes the rising Harvest Moon on September 20, 2021 off Swanpool Beach, Falmouth, England in this Getty photo by Hugh R Hastings. (Image credit: Hugh R Hastings/Getty Images)

Harvest Moon over San Francisco. (Image credit: McFotoSFO)

A 98.8 percent Harvest Moon rises above midtown Manhattan as the sun sets in New York City on September 19, 2021 as seen from West Orange, New Jersey in this Getty photo by Gary Hershorn. (Image credit: Gary Hershorn/Getty Images)

The 2021 Harvest Moon accompanied by Jupiter and Saturn in the New Jersey sky by skywatcher Alexander Krivenyshev. (Image credit: Alexander Krivenyshev)