[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html; https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Fri Nov 6 08:04:28 CST 2020

Good morning all...
I hope every one is doing great…last night there was a Space X Launch, it was amazing, living here is so special…we are very fortunate to see launches from out homes or drive 15-30 minutes for even better views…

There’ll be great chances for you to share launches with the kids over the next 2 weeks…
The Atlas V on Sunday: Nov. 8 at 5:36 p.m. EST
Crew-1 launch. Launch is on track for Nov. 14 at 7:49 p.m. EST.
Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich Launch & Participation Opportunities, Saturday, Nov. 21, at 9:17 a.m….be sure to register:  https://go.nasa.gov/3k86vPm <https://go.nasa.gov/3k86vPm>

The Pandemic seems to be getting worse internationally as well as in the USA…I don’t think many of us would have imagined, almost 10 months after we heard of this, we would be worse than we were when we first heard of it…it kind of amazes me, not many seem concerned…when I discuss it with others, who don’t seem concerned…they say…not as many are dying or I am so tired of it…so they do nothing to help stop the spread…as we approach flu season, this will complicate things and the ability for medical support as more and more people are sick…trying to stay optimistic but disappointed in those who do not see the need to follow medical advice.

We have to remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart) …hugs & smiles... :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

Atlas V Launch Update

ula launch update <https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=ula+launch+update&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>
(Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., Nov. 5, 2020) -- The launch of a United Launch Alliance Atlas V carrying the NROL-101 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office is targeted for Sun., Nov. 8 at 5:36 p.m. EST, pending range approval.
ATLAS V TO LAUNCH NROL-101
• Rocket: Atlas V 531
• Mission: NROL-101
• Launch Date and Time: Nov. 8, 2020 at 5:36 p.m. EST pending range approval
• Launch Location: Space Launch Complex-41, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida

Mission Information: United Launch Alliance (ULA) will use an Atlas V 531 rocket to launch the NROL-101 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO). Liftoff will occur from Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.

Launch Notes: This will be 141st mission for United Launch Alliance and our 29th for the NRO. It is the 86th Atlas V launch and the 4th in the 531 configuration.

Launch Updates: To keep up to speed with updates to the launch countdown, dial the ULA launch hotline at 1-877-852-4321 or join the conversation at www.facebook.com/ulalaunch <http://www.facebook.com/ulalaunch>, twitter.com/ulalaunch <http://twitter.com/ulalaunch> and instagram.com/ulalaunch <https://www.instagram.com/ulalaunch/>; hashtags #AtlasV #NROL101

Join NASA to #LaunchAmerica, Virtually
You are invited to be a NASA virtual guest for the launch of the NASA’s SpaceX Crew-1 mission. Join NASA to #LaunchAmerica, and four astronauts, to the International Space Station for a six-month mission. Launch is scheduled for November 14, 2020 from Launch Complex 39A in Florida. Register for email updates <https://go.nasa.gov/3jc1OCV> or RSVP <https://www.facebook.com/events/2784819011845807/> to the Facebook event to let us know you’ll be watching launch and to receive any schedule updates, related activities (including a boarding pass and virtual passport stamp), and access to curated resources.

We’re so glad you’ve joined us virtually for the Crew-1 launch. Launch is on track for Nov. 14 at 7:49 p.m. EST.

We’ll be sending a few emails as launch gets closer so you have all the latest information about the launch and participation opportunities.

Here are a few to get you started:

HEAR <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_skcjrjTGxJal8M9goYQT28krV4lvyg9ZdbVUpoybL6MJM90E49NjjiHaqehtB6zO544937z-wTFsbKPqABwJzNNrFPksBHHzIToKYjHKqY90btEm_3q4f2wySjWoxa-ej&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>
the Crew members themselves share stories and discuss the mission

ANSWER <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_sw3kiHz3x9wcq2DRoIvK_yoYTPURDq_3-Ib_51uMxNe4gvQH8e3TvAZda5kX_zwjRh_QTFA7ejwm3aOAlAS34SzF07GaWMk4rl40jQQDR_CW-AeCAwXehW19JxbphVOQh&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>
SpaceX Crew-1 commander Mike Hopkins. He asks: What excites you about #LaunchAmerica? Show us on social media using #LaunchAmerica <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_72MAQif9AmaS2ArasfUn8aM0ROPa-Koqqwyd3qbKC0fbYPs_0iHf4bz_u0gDEP-SZY2Sfr-saarMzEQpB0VdeiyM9ttQZCOR_AC2-3sUb7KDXVGwAN_YTKvnPQY5bqkGBw==&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==> for a chance to be shared on NASA TV
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_sw3kiHz3x9wcq2DRoIvK_yoYTPURDq_3-Ib_51uMxNe4gvQH8e3TvAZda5kX_zwjRh_QTFA7ejwm3aOAlAS34SzF07GaWMk4rl40jQQDR_CW-AeCAwXehW19JxbphVOQh&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>
 <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_sjT5AYd7Z9xTlLB913KI9Tk2i_KVAsx1Xb2uxlEAa90ABAAEE6M1J2z9Ylabcb3IPweU1z9kfGdpj88HV40uHGA==&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>
USE
Use these cool Instagram filters! #LaunchAmerica at NASA <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_s5bq_CfcLqm18ZDZ_VE0k_-KIunmpe5soepbSEo2lmqu0ObkNu4fpQjqq7HFFcfTrQnrwJ5ZcodLR5br_T-8tJjgn4rkTFdF7yq-96yoOzkv1G8tLSPKAkes3uRxd2RYIkKXK6eMdoz2FizwjbQYtaspXInIlXiwOsk4Vt5SeIf2LGCxPuH7UWePGe7jL1DKh&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==> & #LaunchAmerica at Home <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_sOyedOA4OV0MD527C1ofqOoZxwUrE4PPeeGlWWJpWWh1xd8gztIBh5JUBu9C4iGUSvQWZ0QTNDEiuPazTg2OTZicV_IvgBYWgh-HjfFKpl0tT1HI8EsWcG9-QwvXiyqtSpTi06jXqBfq_5F4V4xzJ3CZj9mVOwxr-kv_dcSIfLPfyKPWCVVplvr6lxeK_mRiJ&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>
Next week’s launch broadcast will start at 3:30 p.m. EST and will be available here <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_srFSYl5Fr8SfFkSYclKe4VsKrih1awNStBOKwTLDMCdzameXuUK0HBdF_hkx_VtaKjORZp0-bKFLMQ8dv4dcoDA==&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>.

Want to share with friends, family, other space enthusiasts? We're happy to have them. Just forward them this email or the Virtual Guest web page to start: https://go.nasa.gov/2OpRpGA <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001MpdmASBDXduiZATm_ud4TqgWyvoYkc1JsoQFIvkb4doUk0tnkHP_76JOCsMuoJ_sxgfr0HBlW2trli44grGwg6okZz8eyfWsuQKMCbZb_tuDrB5kS6LpXQ6lxikjuv9cRbyXDcBd5oRfuvU85wO5Yw==&c=M6YRGWTFVvlCV8J26XhYxNMhK-wXJtiGjPQlZ771u7LerFmC6mAr8Q==&ch=wZ4O1Gf1f3EZYej9rDhIiQ15ZXSh3miTLXD_ODuaRWZBsSUYKkYRkw==>

Let us know if you have any questions. Please remember, no launch activities will be held in-person.

The Virtual Guest Ops Team

#SeeingTheSeas
The Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich satellite is a U.S.-European cooperative effort designed to measure sea-level, temperature, humidity, and support improved weather predictions. Register <https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/go.nasa.gov/3k86vPm__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!Y7EHpCrKq-Nt9hxUGE-gUbp2wUmuHjVCC1D-9EAHe17a48KYTVbNUgmC6g5_e6BT-cKK$> for the upcoming launch to let NASA know you’ll be watching and to receive any schedule updates, related online and social media activities (including a virtual passport <https://urldefense.us/v3/__https:/go.nasa.gov/364lPIt__;!!PvBDto6Hs4WbVuu7!Y7EHpCrKq-Nt9hxUGE-gUbp2wUmuHjVCC1D-9EAHe17a48KYTVbNUgmC6g5_ewHEeqd0$> stamp), and access to curated resources.

Sentinel-6 Mission Summary - Sentinel Online <https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-6/mission-summary>

On Nov. 21, Earth-observing satellite Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich is set to launch to measure sea levels worldwide

once you register you will have access to: The live broadcast will be available here --https://go.nasa.gov/2EXB6dx <https://go.nasa.gov/2EXB6dx>-- on launch day. Be sure to log-on a bit early to catch the countdown and make sure all your systems are go! And get your virtual passport

The International Space Station can't last forever. Here's how it will eventually die by fire. <https://futureplc.slgnt.eu/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=PlkPpLFMZbNS5NQAvadsCRyoJBdb9SpUJCwN8gOd4OZVL1ozXCtA8DlkUDVFgWNiTuHUaE6J%2BVHpE5mmCKMxsk3Y9tjIChI1jG4iEgM7QWKeGUQedo>

The International Space Station seen in orbit in 2018.
(Image: © NASA)
What goes up must come down — including, sadly enough, the International Space Station <https://www.space.com/16748-international-space-station.html>.

For precisely 20 years now, the massive orbiting laboratory has constantly been home to humans, the lucky handful of Earthlings who at any given time venture into the topsy-turvy world of microgravity <https://www.space.com/23017-weightlessness.html>. But like the rest of us, the International Space Station is aging. And it can't stay in orbit on its own indefinitely — it needs a regular boost or fuel injection from visiting spacecraft. If those boosts stop or something else goes wrong, sooner or later, the lab will fall. "Basically, any cargo ship <https://www.space.com/41172-cygnus-leaves-space-station-orbital-boost.html> that comes to the space station, or indeed any ferry ship, usually has surplus propellant to a certain degree," Jonathan McDowell, an astronomer at Harvard who specializes in tracking objects in and falling out of orbit, told Space.com. "They have to have propellant to do the rendezvous, and then they can sometimes have extra to do a reboost."

Related: International Space Station at 20: A photo tour <https://www.space.com/42495-international-space-station-modules-tour-photos.html>
For now, those flights will continue <https://www.space.com/international-space-station-commercial-opportunities.html> through at least 2024. And because of the station's international nature — it's a partnership among the United States, Russia, Canada, Japan and the participating nations of the European Space Agency — the decision to retire it will always be based on both engineering and politics.

"While ISS is currently approved to operate through at least December 2024 by the international partner governments, from a technical standpoint, we have cleared ISS to fly until the end of 2028 <https://www.space.com/36356-russia-could-stay-with-space-station-to-2028.html>," NASA officials wrote in a statement to Space.com. "Additionally, our analysis has not identified any issues that would preclude us from extending beyond 2028 if needed."

But some day, the station's time will come. The facility is aging and at constant risk of impacts from space debris and micrometeorites. If humans don't retire it, eventually the hazards of space will.

The eventual fate of the space station has always been a specter for NASA and Roscosmos <https://www.space.com/22724-roscosmos.html>, Russia's federal space agency, but as time has passed, it has loomed larger on the minds of space experts.

"'Oh, we'll bring it down eventually,' the idea has always been; 'We commit to deorbiting it.' But my sense is that they didn't actually think through the details until about five years ago," McDowell said. "Until then it was like, 'La la la, it's in orbit, we're still building it, we're not going to worry about how to get rid of it.' Which maybe isn't quite the way you should do things."

The International Space Station in September 2000, just before humans took up permanent residence at the facility. (Image credit: NASA)
One major voice in changing that has been NASA's Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, a group that evaluates the safety measures NASA is taking in spaceflight. The panel has been raising concerns for at least a decade <https://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/asap/documents/2010_ASAP_Annual_Report.pdf> about how the space station will end, spurred by the then-upcoming retirement of NASA's space shuttle vehicles, which could have been used to deorbit the International Space Station.

The group is still citing the issue regularly in its analyses of NASA policies.

"The panel continues to track the open work status on the planned deorbit strategy for ISS and the fine-tuning of some wording in the related space station program document," David West, a member of the panel, said during the group's quarterly meeting, which was held virtually on Oct. 1. "We will continue to monitor the progress of getting agreement on the strategy by all parties."

Scenarios for both a scheduled space station deorbit <https://www.space.com/13071-international-space-station-reentry-plans.html> and a response if something goes very wrong are in the works, NASA confirmed, but are not yet public. "NASA is actively working with the entire International Space Station partnership on plans to safely deorbit the space station at the end of its lifetime," NASA officials wrote in a statement to Space.com.

Hubble Launches Large Ultraviolet-Light Survey of Nearby Stars

see the video….https://youtu.be/dd7gHufoiPI <https://youtu.be/dd7gHufoiPI>
The universe would be a pretty boring place without stars. Without them, the universe would remain a diffuse plasma of mostly hydrogen and helium from the big bang.

As the basic building blocks of the cosmos, stellar nuclear fusion furnaces forge new heavy elements, enriching their parent galaxy. The radiant energy from stars potentially nurtures the emergence of life on the most favorably located planets, as it did on Earth.

To better understand stars and stellar evolution, the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore, Maryland, has launched an ambitious new initiative with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, called ULLYSES (UV Legacy Library of Young Stars as Essential Standards) <http://ullyses.stsci.edu/>.

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/stsci-h-p2050a-m-1863x2000.png>
This is a ground-based telescopic photo of the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC), a satellite galaxy of our Milky Way. The galaxy is one of several select targets of a new initiative with NASA's Hubble Space Telescope called ULLYSES (UV Legacy Library of Young Stars as Essential Standards). The program is looking at over 300 stars to build an ultraviolet-light catalog for capturing the diversity of stars, from young to old. The LMC contains hot, massive, blue stars, similar to the primitive composition of early galaxies, so astronomers can gain insights into how their outflows may have influenced early galaxy evolution billions of years ago. The target stars are from Hubble archival observations (yellow circles) and new observations (blue circles) under the ULLYSES program.
Credits: NASA, ESA, J. Roman-Duval (STScI), ULLYSES program, and R. Gendler
Click to view story and other images on the STScI's website <https://hubblesite.org/contents/news-releases/2020/news-2020-50>
ULLYSES is Hubble's largest observing program ever in terms of the amount of time Hubble will dedicate to it. More than 300 stars will be included. Ultraviolet (UV) light from the target stars is being used to produce a library of the spectral "templates" of young, low-mass stars from eight star-forming regions in the Milky Way, as well as fully mature high-mass stars in several nearby dwarf galaxies including the Magellanic Clouds.

"One of the key goals of ULLYSES is to form a complete reference sample that can be used to create spectral libraries capturing the diversity of stars, ensuring a legacy dataset for a wide range of astrophysical topics. ULLYSES is expected to have a lasting impact on future research by astronomers around the world," said program lead Julia Roman-Duval of STScI.

STScI is now releasing the first set of ULLYSES observations to the astronomical community. These early targets are hot, massive, blue stars in several nearby dwarf galaxies.

Hubble is located above Earth's atmosphere, which filters out most UV radiation from space before it reaches ground-based telescopes. Hubble's ultraviolet sensitivity makes it the only observatory up to the task because young stars radiate a lot of their energy in the UV as they grow chaotically in fits and starts while feeding on infalling gas and dust.

The program's goal is to give astronomers a much better understanding of the birth of stars and how this relates to everything from planets to the formation and evolution of galaxies. Astronomers want to learn how young low-mass stars affect the evolution and composition of planets forming around them. Intense UV radiation pulls apart molecules and penetrates circumstellar disks, where planets form, influencing their chemistry and affecting how long the disks survive. This has a direct bearing on planet habitability, atmospheric escape, and chemistry. "This unique collection is enabling diverse and exciting astrophysical research across many fields," Roman-Duval said.

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/stsci-h-p2050b-m-2000x1917.png>
This is a ground-based telescopic photo of the Small Magellanic Cloud (SMC), a satellite galaxy of our Milky Way. The galaxy is one of several targets for Hubble’s ULLYSES program, which is looking at over 300 stars to build an ultraviolet-light catalog for capturing the diversity of stars, from young to old. The target stars are from Hubble archival observations (yellow circles) and new observations (blue circles).
Credits: NASA, ESA, J. Roman-Duval (STScI), ULLYSES program, and S. Guisard
In addition, the torrential outflows of hot gas from fully mature stars that are much more massive than our Sun shape their environments in dramatic ways. By targeting massive stars in nearby galaxies with low abundances in heavy elements, similar to the primitive composition of early galaxies, astronomers can gain insights into how their outflows may have influenced early galaxy evolution billions of years ago.

The design and targets of these observations were selected in partnership with the astronomical community, allowing researchers from around the world to help develop the final program as well as have the opportunity to organize coordinated observations by other space- and ground-based telescopes at different wavelengths of light.

STScI scientific and technical staff are designing software specifically related to the development of databases and web interfaces to ensure wide access to the library by the astronomical community. Tools for high-level science products and spectroscopic analysis are being developed. All of the data are stored in STScI's Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST).