[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Mon May 4 07:49:57 CDT 2020

hi all,

 I can’t believe how many times I’ve tried to do this over the last few weeks…we are still dealing with the affects of the virus in the US…staying at home, trying to follow the medical guidance to get past this…as well as following so many countries around the world…I’ve been home around 6 weeks, staying extremely busy with car and home projects…I’ve been gone so much the last 4 years, I have endless lists of things  to do…it has been fun to be sorting out so many projects, actually doing things that I have been thinking about but knowing with all the travel, it would be impossible….what no one understands is the many, many hours involved in the planning of these trips which gives me no time to do anything else…

 A huge event is scheduled for May 27th…Astronauts from the US heading to the International Space Station from the US for the first time since 2011…the excitement is building as Space X is preparing for this historic event…normally, there would be thousands of guests coming to Kennedy Space Center to see the launch but the Space Center is closed to the public…the beaches have recently opened so I am quite sure they will be packed, even with social distancing…

I know many of  you are doing E-teaching which is such a huge adjustment…some countries are so technically advanced it is an easy transition although I feel we need the personal contact, especially where kids may not have a happy home life and their teachers are their role models….for the US, kids are finishing up the school year, many graduating high school and universities but are missing out on their “walk”…still finding creative ways to celebrate…

I managed to do two on line presentations through the America Embassy in Cairo…special thanks to my buddy Mo, who initiated the contact and to everyone involved who did so much to support both events...We have to remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, believe in ourselves, and let those we care about most know (I always say this, we all need to take it to heart)…hugs & smiles… :-) :-) STAY SAFE, TAKE CARE, Love ya, Gabe

  I’m in Brazil, having left a city, Americana, on my way to  São José dos Campos … I wonder how many know what initiated the name Americana…a little quiz for the kids? the time in Brazil has been awesome, as it always although we are concerned with cancellations of events due to the Virus….I have not paid any attention to the news here, even if I did, it is in Portuguese, so I would be lost…we have heard there may be some cancellations but at this time I am not sure…I have 3 more weeks in Brazil, in many different cities so it will be day to day…I have paid for tickets to other cities as well as my ticket back…so I might have to eat the cost…

Update, I’m on my way back to the US…the events here and in the next city were cancelled…I was supposed to be leaving to another state, Macapa, on the 22nd but with everything cancelled, I thought about moving it up but then it seemed things to be getting worse…news coming from the US was not great, I was concerned about not getting back in the country as well as possible cancellations in Macapa…so I got the first plane back…it has been crazy trying to reach travel agencies…on hold for hours, then dropped…the airport was not too bad although they said there were no international flights to the US…which turned to be untrue…I was thinking, so many schools are closed, most of you will not see this but I will send it along for those who can…also in my haste to get back to the US, I got on the first plane I could not realizing there was a 12 hour layover in Panama…as it turns out, I could have left 4 hours later and arrived 8 hours earlier…

The STEM Engagement Team has already put together their student focused resources actually.
There are here:
https://cms.nasa.gov/stem/nextgenstem/commercial_crew/commercial-crew-launch-kit.html <https://cms.nasa.gov/stem/nextgenstem/commercial_crew/commercial-crew-launch-kit.html>

https://cms.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ppt_launch_day_play-by-play_dm-2_508.pdf <https://cms.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/ppt_launch_day_play-by-play_dm-2_508.pdf>
Some fun links you can share with the kids...
https://www.nasa.gov/specials/nasaathome/index.html <https://www.nasa.gov/specials/nasaathome/index.html>
For more on the launch: https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/ <https://www.nasa.gov/specials/dm2/>

'Uphill battle': SpaceX overcame obstacles on road to historic 1st crew launch
By Mike Wall <https://www.space.com/author/mike-wall> 4 days ago
There was no guarantee that everything would work out.

NASA astronauts Bob Behknen (left) and Doug Hurley will be the first to fly on SpaceX's Crew Dragon spacecraft during the Demo-2 mission, which is scheduled to launch on May 27, 2020..
(Image: © SpaceX)
Like most historic achievements, this one will be hard-won.

SpaceX is scheduled to launch its first crewed flight on May 27 <https://www.space.com/spacex-demo-2-nasa-safety-advisory-panel.html>, sending NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the International Space Station (ISS) aboard the company's Crew Dragon capsule.

Like most historic achievements, this one will be hard-won.

SpaceX is scheduled to launch its first crewed flight on May 27 <https://www.space.com/spacex-demo-2-nasa-safety-advisory-panel.html>, sending NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the International Space Station (ISS) aboard the company's Crew Dragon capsule.

Since I have written last, we now have a name for the Mars 2020 Rover…lift off schedule begins July 17th..
PERSEVERANCE…
 NASA's Mars 2020 rover Perseverance in pictures <https://www.space.com/21900-nasa-mars-rover-2020-images.html>

Meet Ingenuity
Video: How the Mars helicopter Ingenuity will fly the Martian skies <https://videos.space.com/m/Pm3AEJkO/see-mars-helicopter-ingenuity-take-off-while-rover-watches-in-new-animation?list=9wzCTV4g>

The moniker was submitted by Alabama 11th grader Vaneeza Rupani, as part of NASA's "Name the Rover" contest for Mars 2020. "Perseverance" won that competition <https://www.space.com/nasa-mars-2020-rover-name-perseverance.html>, of course, but agency officials dipped back into the submission pool to hang a name on the solar-powered Mars helicopter. (Its name was just "Mars Helicopter" until today.)