[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html;

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Thu Jun 21 19:02:28 CDT 2018

Hi all,

   Good morning from Germany…I know it has been a while since I sent anything, I apologize as I have been travelling quite a bit and time seems to have slipped away…for me, my life is a blur…it seems I blink once, a day is gone, twice…a week…all the more reason to live each day as we pass through it, finding positives in everything we do, and always being thankful for the good in our lives. I believe the last time we wrote was the beginning of May and some schools had started summer vacation…now, towards the end of June, it seems most schools are on summer vacation…I always feel this is so important for teachers…to get away from the classroom, teaching, and hopefully enjoy the “summer off” although I know very few who do. Actually, it seems most of you will teach during the summer or have other employment. I always say, teaching is the most challenging job in the world, so much responsibility, so many factors to contend with, and being asked to wear so many different hats…but I also think it is the most rewarding as you impact kids for life…and I know some will come back as an adult to thank you for all you did for them.

 The Space program is moving along with so many exciting adventures, launches to the ISS, the Insight mission on its way to Mars, the hot mission being prepped to go to the sun, the 2020 Mars Rover still being developed and tested, and constant feedback from spacecraft traveling through space or orbiting planets.

 Wishing you a wonderful day...we have to always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, let those we care about most know, make each day special, smile & have fun! hugs & love ya, Gabe

Black Holes Could Actually Be Colliding Wormholes <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=30f28fa43183adca5447665778c93f9fc7153b7d1e38aff7c48e32a1ab573c294fcc22cf1a9c44955e61017ead3d0d796d3af8ba98d4e6434244a0edab44a5e4>

A conceptual vision of a wormhole. Could black holes actually be colliding wormholes? A new theory says maybe.

When two wormholes collide, they could produce ripples in space-time that ricochet off themselves. Future instruments could detect these gravitational "echoes," providing evidence that these hypothetical tunnels through space-time actually exist, a new paper suggests. The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) has already detected space-time ripples, called gravitational waves, emanating from merging black holes — discoveries that led to the Nobel Prize in 2017 <https://www.livescience.com/60586-nobel-in-physics-for-gravitational-waves.html>. But while LIGO's detection was just one of many observations supporting the existence of black holes, these exotic objects still pose theoretical problems. For instance, they seem to be inconsistent with the laws of quantum mechanics. One way to resolve these problems is if black holes were actually wormholes.

This Pride, Be Inspired by Sally Ride's Legacy <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=aa0620b3f7eb5b79f21619b23a08078fa2beecbd54e3e512e5a0c5c9c1b1294969e5d94383d55b917639953f78b3d7cde3d6eeeb2e583be39126fd6efa9c9157>

Seen on board the space shuttle Challenger, astronaut Sally Ride became the first U.S. woman in space on June 18, 1983.

Sally Ride, the United States' first woman in space <https://www.space.com/16756-sally-ride-biography.html>, who flew 35 years today (June 18), in 1983, has inspired countless people, as she lived a life committed to science, education and inclusion. And while she only "came out" publicly as a member of the LGBTQ community in her obituary, written by Tam O'Shaughnessy, Ride's surviving partner of 27 years, Ride is still the first and only acknowledged LGBTQ astronaut <https://www.space.com/16735-gay-astronauts-sally-ride.html>. Today, Ride's legacy and life story continue to inspire, as she has set a leading example, conquering what before seemed truly impossible. Unsurprisingly, Ride encountered a number of obstacles throughout her career, including insulting, gender-biased reporter questions like "whether I cried when we got malfunctions in the simulator," Ride said to Gloria Steinem <https://www.space.com/31837-sally-ride-dazzling-animated-interview.html>in 1983. [Sally Ride: First American Woman in Space (Pictures) <https://www.space.com/16715-sally-ride-pictures-first-american-woman-in-space.html>]

Record-Breaking Astronaut Peggy Whitson Retires from NASA

Peggy Whitson floats in the Cupola aboard the International Space Station. The record-setting NASA astronaut retired from the space agency on June 15, 2018.

The United States' most experienced space flier is hanging up her wings.  Astronaut Peggy Whitson <https://www.space.com/38691-peggy-whitson-astronaut-biography.html>, who has spent more time in space than any other American, retired from NASA today (June 15), agency officials announced. "Peggy Whitson is a testament to the American spirit," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said in a statement. "Her determination, strength of mind, character, and dedication to science, exploration, and discovery are an inspiration to NASA and America. We owe her a great debt for her service, and she will be missed. We thank her for her service to our agency and country." [In Photos: Record-Breaking NASA Astronaut Peggy Whitson <https://www.space.com/36268-astronaut-peggy-whitson-photo-gallery.html>] Iowa native Whitson, 58, earned a doctorate in biochemistry from Rice University in 1985. She went to work at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston a year later, as a National Research Council resident research associate.  Whitson filled several scientific posts at the agency over the next decade — including project scientist for the Shuttle-Mir Program and co-chair of the U.S.-Russian Mission Science Working Group — and was then chosen for the astronaut corps in 1996. Whitson flew three missions aboard the International Space Station <https://www.space.com/16748-international-space-station.html> (ISS): Expedition 5 in 2002; Expedition 16 in 2008, during which she became the first female commander of the orbiting lab; and an extended stint from November 2016 through September 2017, which spanned Expeditions 50, 51 and 52. Whitson also commanded Expedition 51, becoming the first woman to lead an ISS mission twice. During her career, Whitson racked up a total of 665 days in space — more than any other NASA astronaut, and a record for women worldwide. (A handful of male Soviet/Russian cosmonauts have spent more time in space, including Gennady Padalka, who holds the world mark of 878 days.)

NASA's Curiosity Rover Is Tracking a Huge Dust Storm on Mars (Photo)

Dust hangs in the Martian air in this photo taken by NASA's Curiosity rover on June 2, 2018.

NASA's Curiosity rover <https://www.space.com/34036-spectacular-mars-landscape-photos-curiosity-rover.html> is keeping tabs on the huge Martian dust storm that has sidelined its older cousin on the other side of the planet. That storm, which covered as much area as North America and Russia combined as of today (June 12), has engulfed the golf-cart-size Opportunity rover, plunging its environs into perpetual darkness. The solar-powered Opportunity has therefore temporarily ceased science operations <https://www.space.com/40847-mars-dust-storm-stalls-opportunity-rover.html>. A recent photo by Curiosity suggests that dust may be encroaching a bit on its locale, the 96-mile-wide (154 kilometers) Gale Crater. But Curiosity is nuclear-powered, so a drop in sunlight isn't nearly as concerning to its handlers. [Curiosity Rover's 10 Biggest Mars Moments of Its 1st 5 Years <https://www.space.com/37712-mars-rover-curiosity-10-biggest-moments-5-years.html>]

 The Amazing Discovery of a Neutron-Star Crash, Gravitational Waves & More

Here: An artist's concept of the explosive collision of two neutron star