[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Jul 30 22:33:32 CDT 2017

Hi All,
 I’m writing as I am on a plane returning from Missouri…I was visiting with the dear friends celebrating the life of a long time buddy who lost his battle with cancer…Mark…who never gave in and lived his life pretty much as he wanted until the last week…a reminder to us all to never take anyone we care about for granted and to always let those we care about know….

 It is so difficult to imagine many teachers are going back to school August 3rd…it seems like I was just wishing you a happy summer break…I know it will be a while before all schools are back but at the same time... it is almost beyond comprehension, how fast time is going…I also know many of you have been going back to school for quite a while readying your classrooms, making it the best learning environment for the kids, often spending your own money to get the necessary items you feel will make the kids feel comfortable and enjoy learning…it is an opportunity for me to let you know how wonderful I think you are, how you sacrifice so much, with what I think is the most challenging job in the world as well as the most rewarding….

Always interesting missions at NASA…on Friday 3 astronauts launches from Russia to the ISS…with them there will be many scientific experiments on station that will not only help in travel to other planets but also improve the quality of life on earth…kind of amazing as 6 hours after launch they are ready to dock with the ISS when not too long ago it would take them 2 days to dock…there is a launch scheduled around Aug 18th from KSC, an Atlas V with a communication satellite…always something exciting at KSC :-)

On Saturday I will be leaving back to Brazil for 9 days…three cities, going to 4 schools as well as major presentations…hoping to visit many of you as well…it is still so amazing to me…but always so much fun for the kids, teachers, and me :-) :-). wishing you a wonderful day...we have to always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, let those we care about most know, make each day special, smile & have fun! Gabe

The Russian Soyuz MS-05 carrying NASA astronaut Randy Bresnik, Sergey Ryazanskiy of the Russian space agency Roscosmos, and Paolo Nespoli of ESA (European Space Agency) docked to the International Space Station at 5:54 p.m. on Friday, July 28, 2017.

NASA Selects Proposals to Study Sun, Space Environment

NASA has selected nine proposals under its Explorers Program <http://explorers.gsfc.nasa.gov/> that will return transformational science about the Sun and space environment and fill science gaps between the agency’s larger missions; eight for focused scientific investigations and one for technological development of instrumentation.

This Week in NASA History: Spacelab 2 Launches -- July 29, 1985

This week in 1985, space shuttle Challenger and STS-51F launched from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. STS-51F carried the Spacelab 2 module -- a payload that contained scientific instruments dedicated to life sciences, plasma physics, astronomy, high-energy astrophysics, solar physics, atmospheric physics and technology research. Here, the Solar Optical Universal Polarimeter experiment is visible among the cluster of Spacelab 2 hardware in the orbiter’s cargo bay. Today, the Payload Operations Integration Center at Marshall serves as "science central" for the International Space Station, working 24/7, 365 days a year in support of the orbiting laboratory's scientific experiments.

The NASA History Program is responsible for generating, disseminating, and preserving NASA’s remarkable history and providing a comprehensive understanding of the institutional, cultural, social, political, economic, technological, and scientific aspects of NASA’s activities in aeronautics and space.  For more pictures like this one and to connect to NASA’s history, visit the Marshall