[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Feb 12 20:03:21 CST 2017

Good morning all,
   I hope you had a wonderful weekend and will enjoy the week ahead, of course…one day at time….The last couple of weeks have been so fun….the most full two weeks I have ever spent at schools in the US….it was more of the driving time and distances which added to the fun… :-) although very time consuming….I would like to wish everyone a Very Happy Valentine’s Day…not a bad time to stop, reflect on all your accomplishments over the past year, feel good about what you have done….then go forward with confidence, head help up high, and a smile to show the world you are eager for any challenge life may present you…so many things going on right now…launches; space walks; development of the next Rover to go to Mars in 2020; development of Space Launch System's mission to Mars as well as next week’s Space X rocket/supply ship to the ISS from Pad 39A, used for a number of famous space exploration missions like the Apollo 11 and the first and last space shuttle flights, targeted for Feb18th…no time has been given, I will update you as soon as I get information…I really hope you can share with your students…please check this out and open it to your students or yourselves if you would like a fun experience... NASA Invites You to Create James Webb Space Telescope-inspired Art… https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/2017/nasa-invites-you-to-create-james-webb-space-telescope-inspired-art this ties in perfectly with the STEAM….Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics…curriculum emphasized for the kids.  Last week I spoke with kids at Chiles, Hunter’s Green, and Clark Elementary schools and on Tuesday I will be speaking with the kids at Jewett School of the Arts, which should be very special…also have to get my Visa application together to travel to Miami on Wed for next month’s visit to schools in Brazil….yes, I know, crazy :-) :-) we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun!!!! …:-) :-)  gabe

I want to remind everyone of the Sun ’n Fun Aerospace Educators Workshop, April 8th, 2017 in Lakeland, Florida….It is an amazing day and the evening program will include fireworks with a night air show. https://visitcentralflorida.org/blog/sun-n-fun-international-fly-in-expo ...registration form is below….I will be doing two presentations on Sat morning…it is where I have met so many of you and from there arranged to visit schools…I hope as many of you as possible can make it….it would be a preview of what I will do at your school…and so much fun to see you….

NASA Invites You to Create James Webb Space Telescope-inspired Art
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/lights_out_.jpg>
The primary mirror of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope
Credits: NASA/Chris Gunn
How?

Browse through our images and videos and see what inspires you.
Create art! (Note: this is not limited to art you can hang on a wall.)
Share it with us on social media.
Why?

In November 2016, a small group of artists was selected to visit NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, to see the James Webb Space Telescope in person, and to be inspired to create art. They have been busy ever since, producing amazing work that we are presenting for exhibit during Spring 2017 at the Goddard Visitor Center (date TBA).

Their offerings include painting, poetry, sculpting, textiles, woodworking, music, silk screening, 3-D design, jewelry, posters, tattooing and letterpress printing.

Though we were only able to physically accommodate a small number of artists, we were so impressed by the number of talented people who were interested in participating. We want to offer more artists a chance to participate virtually.

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/compilation-of-jwst-art-examples.jpg>
A selection of final artwork and progress photos of James Webb Space Telescope-inspired art, created by artists that visited NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in November 2016. Credits: (Top, L-R): Jedidiah Dore/Ink and Watercolor; Veronica Guzzardi/Digital Poster; Jessica Lee/Mixed Media; Joan Lok/Embroidery/Paint. (Bottom, L-R): Ophelia Chambliss/Acrylic; Brandi Smart/Tattoo; Joanna Barnum/Watercolor; Hannah Larrabee/Poetry; Heather Hughes/Typesetting
 <applewebdata://7D1F8951-E3C9-44F1-AAC7-AEE24C054155>
Create and Share #JWSTArt

There are three social media platforms that you can use to submit your work. You may also email us.

Flickr: Submit your photos to the James Webb Space Telescope “Inspired” <https://www.flickr.com/groups/jwstinspired/> group
Instagram: Use the Instagram app to upload your photo, and in the description include #JWSTArt
Twitter: Share your image on Twitter and include #JWSTArt in the tweet
Email: Email your artwork to jwst at lists.nasa.gov <mailto:jwst at lists.nasa.gov?subject=JWSTArt%20Submission>. Also, if you have a YouTube video or sound file to share, sending it via email will be the easiest way to make sure we see it.
If a #JWSTArt post or email catches our eye, we may share your work on our NASA James Webb Space Telescope social media accounts.

We may also display your image in a slideshow at our upcoming art exhibit at the Goddard Visitor Center, planned for Spring 2017.

Image and Video Resources for Inspiration

James Webb Space Telescope project website <http://jwst.nasa.gov/>
Flickr gallery <https://www.flickr.com/photos/nasawebbtelescope/albums>
YouTube <http://youtube.com/nasawebbtelescope>
HD video downloads <https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/Gallery/JWST.html>
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/nasawebb/>
​See more James Webb Space Telescope-inspired artwork

#JWSTArt on Twitter <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23JWSTArt&src=typd>
#JWSTArt on Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/jwstart/>
Artist Event Flickr Pool <https://www.flickr.com/groups/jwstart/pool/>
#JWSTArt Terms and Conditions <https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/2017/jwstart-terms-and-conditions>

Fire returns to flame trench at Apollo-era launch pad in Florida <https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/12/fire-returns-to-flame-trench-at-apollo-era-launch-pad-in-florida/>
February 12, 2017
 <https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/12/fire-returns-to-flame-trench-at-apollo-era-launch-pad-in-florida/>
Nine Merlin engines ignited and throttled up to nearly 2 million pounds of thrust Sunday during a brief hold-down firing of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, sending a plume of smoke out of the flame trench at Kennedy Space Center’s historic launch pad 39A as the company preps for a space station cargo mission next weekend.

Scientists Shortlist Three Landing Sites for Mars 2020
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mars2020_landingsites_gusevjezerosyrtis.jpg>
Three potential landing sites for NASA's next Mars rover.

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mars2020_3_landing_sites_slideshow_shareable.gif>
Participants in a landing site workshop for NASA’s upcoming Mars 2020 mission have recommended three locations on the Red Planet for further evaluation. The three potential landing sites for NASA’s next Mars rover include Northeast Syrtis (a very ancient portion of Mars’ surface), Jezero crater, (once home to an ancient Martian lake), and Columbia Hills (potentially home to an ancient hot spring, explored by NASA’s Spirit rover). More information on the landing sites can be found at: http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/timeline/prelaunch/landing-site-se… <http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/timeline/prelaunch/landing-site-selection/> Mars 2020 <http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/> is targeted for launch in July 2020 aboard an Atlas V 541 rocket from Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The rover will conduct geological assessments of its landing site on Mars, determine the habitability of the environment, search for signs of ancient Martian life, and assess natural resources and hazards for future human explorers. It will also prepare a collection of samples for possible return to Earth by a future mission. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory will build and manage operations of the Mars 2020 rover for the NASA Science Mission Directorate at the agency's headquarters in Washington. For more information about NASA's Mars programs, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/mars <http://www.nasa.gov/mars>

Comet’s Trip Past Earth Offers First in a Trio of Opportunities
Comet hunters still have a chance to see comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdušáková in the next few days using binoculars or a telescope. It’s the first of a trio of comets that will -- between now and the end of 2018 -- pass close enough to Earth for backyard observers to try to spot and for scientists to study using ground-based instruments. Comet 45P will come closest to Earth on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 11, when it passes by at a distance of about 7.7 million miles (12.4 million kilometers), or more than roughly 30 times the distance between Earth and the moon. It is currently in the early morning eastern sky, though the full moon may make the comet more difficult to spot. The recommendation for backyard astronomers is to use binoculars or a telescope to look for the comet several times during the coming days.

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/361_45p_22_12c.jpg>
Comet 45P/Honda-Mrkos-Pajdušáková is captured using a telescope on December 22 from Farm Tivoli in Namibia, Africa.
Credits: Gerald Rhemann
Discovered in 1948, 45P is a short-period comet, with an orbit that takes it around the sun and out by Jupiter about every 5-1/4 years. This weekend’s encounter will be the comet’s closest with Earth through the end of this century. The comet will pass by our planet again in 2032 but will be much farther away – at a distance of nearly 30 million miles (about 48 million kilometers). Scientists have taken advantage of 45P’s approach, making observations using powerful ground-based telescopes such as NASA’s Infrared Telescope Facility to investigate the gases, dust and ice particles that are released from the comet nucleus and show up in the coma and tail. By looking for water, methane and other important compounds, astronomers get clues about how the comet is put together and where it originated in the cloud of material that surrounded the young sun as the solar system formed. By observing the same comet more than once, astronomers can see how the object changes over time. “Observing a comet multiple times over successive orbits is like taking snapshots at different stages of life,” said Joseph Nuth, a senior scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. “And some comets have harder lives than others, depending on how close they get to the sun. We can learn about these effects by comparing different comets with varying perihelion distances over time.” Ground-based observations also are planned for comet 41P/Tuttle-Giacobini-Kresak, which will pass closest to Earth on April 1, 2017, and for comet 46P/Wirtanen, passing closest to Earth on Dec. 16, 2018. By studying this trio of comets, astronomers can learn more about the differences among comets – information they use to fill in the comet family tree. “Comet 46P in particular will remain within 10 million miles of Earth for several weeks, from December 4 through 28, 2018,” said Goddard researcher Michael DiSanti. “This will permit detailed studies of its material, as successive regions of the comet’s nucleus become exposed to sunlight. View 45P on Gerald Rhemann's page: www.astrostudio.at/2_Bright%20Comets.php?img=images/2_Bright%20Comets/361_45P_22_12C.jpg <http://www.astrostudio.at/2_Bright%20Comets.php?img=images/2_Bright%20Comets/361_45P_22_12C.jpg> Comet 45P was featured recently in Astronomy Photo of the Day: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170102.html <https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170102.html>

For those of you who may not seen the moon last night….it was amazing