[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Wed Aug 16 23:47:23 CDT 2017

>> Good morning all,
>>
>>  I hope everything is going well…I know some of you started back to school last week and the kids are back this week…it will take a while to get everyone back and up to full speed…it doesn’t seem possible as in my mind, “ yesterday", I was talking to you about the end of the school year and cycling off for the summer…I am on a plane in Brazil, going from the city of Uberlindia to Salvador. I arrived last Sunday, to the city of Montes Claros, have been doing presentations at schools, special events and supporting amazing computer/gaming week long gathering called Campus Party…it is done all over Brazil, is exceptionally well organized with thousands of people attending…there are so many activities…the idea being to get kids out of the house and in an environment where they can explore everything from building robots, flying drones, to computer gaming…I think Brazil is more fascinated with NASA, than anyplace I have ever been…everyone loves it…every age, every background, everything about it…it is amazing and so special to give them some personal insight as well as share their dreams….I started this 3 days ago, made the mistake to blink… :-) I got back last night, the adventure was simply amazing…Early Friday morning I am going to South Carolina to participate in a 3 day celebration of the eclipse…I will be part of an amazing team of educators making it so very special for the kids…I hope you can share this special event as it should be fun and educational for all. I would like everyone in Norway to know I will be doing a live interview with the Norwegian Space Agency…I hope you can share it with the kids…I don’t have any details yet…see if you can find out anything that might let you share it…it would be amazing if I thought some of you were watching….I want to get this off because I have no idea when I will ge another chance but will follow up with any info I have on the TV interview…We must always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, be thankful for the good in our lives, smile and have fun....gabe

I hope you can share or watch this link
     SpaceX Dragon Delivers Supplies (and Science) to Space Station <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=657e095b2f7cab9d33d6fe663e65e080ff4a83b08483dc505fa4887779bc1cf963232243f4110523663acaeacbca140519a09a5f4a6e50cefa608f6a06895904>

NASA Television to Air Launch of Next Communications Satellite
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/35679430803_beedd8608d_k.jpg>
Tracking and Data Relay Satellite-M is the latest spacecraft destined for the agency's constellation of communications satellites that allows nearly continuous contact with orbiting spacecraft ranging from the International Space Station and Hubble Space Telescope to the array of scientific observatories.
Credits: NASA/Kim Shiflett
NASA is targeting 8:03 a.m. EDT Friday, Aug. 18, for the launch of its next Tracking and Data Relay Satellite <https://www.nasa.gov/tdrs> (TDRS) mission atop a United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The launch, and related activities that begin Thursday, Aug. 17, will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv>. TDRS-M <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-s-tdrs-m-space-communications-satellite-begins-final-testing>, built by Boeing, will provide NASA’s Space Network <https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/heo/scan/services/networks/txt_sn.html> the ability to support critical space communication into the mid-2020s, ensuring scientists, engineers and control room staff can readily access data for missions like the Hubble Space Telescope and the International Space Station. A prelaunch news conference will air live on NASA TV at 9 a.m. on Thursday. Participating in this event are:

Tim Dunn, launch director at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida

Badri Younes, deputy associate administrator for Space Communications and Navigation (SCaN) at NASA Headquarters in Washington
Dave Littmann, project manager for TDRS-M at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland
James Wilson III, Boeing program manager for NASA/Civil Space Programs
Scott Messer, ULA program manager for NASA missions
Clay Flinn, launch weather officer with the 45th Space Wing at Cape Canaveral
NASA TV also will air a prelaunch Social Live briefing at 2 p.m. on Thursday featuring some of the speakers listed above, as well as NASA astronauts Steve Bowen <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/stephen-g-bowen> and Nicole Mann <https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/nicole-a-mann>, among other guests. Participants can submit questions for the social briefing online using #askNASA. Launch coverage will begin at 7:30 a.m. on Friday with commentary leading up to the 8:03 a.m. start of a 40-minute launch window. For an updated list of prelaunch briefings, events and NASA TV coverage, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-television-to-air-launch-of-next-communications-satellite <https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-television-to-air-launch-of-next-communications-satellite>                                                                                                              To learn more about the TDRS-M mission, visit: https://www.nasa.gov/tdrs <https://www.nasa.gov/tdrs>

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/ionospherebannerimage.png>
Day to Night and Back Again: Earth’s Ionosphere During the Total Solar Eclipse
go to this link, I think you will find it amazing….https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse
 <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/day-to-night-and-back-again-earth-s-ionosphere-during-the-total-solar-eclipse/#>

Yes, the Solar Eclipse Is Worth the Hype <http://click.emails.purch.com/?qs=657e095b2f7cab9d47df25f698480268b91b2575d75044f3a54850234188ccc9eb6177daf6063a7fcf1eb0dd53d3a74a39109a211ab12843692aeb112b71b77d>

Pictures of the sun in total eclipse <https://www.space.com/36978-most-amazing-solar-eclipse-photos-worldwide.html> make it obvious the event is unusual. What is normally a blindingly bright disk is utterly black and crowned with a pearly halo against a dark sky. The eclipsed sun looks, in fact, like a hole punched in the sky. It is easy to determine if someone has seen a total solar eclipse in person. You just ask. If the response is "I think so" or "maybe," then the real answer is "no." Anyone who has seen totality knows it with certainty and knows the difference between a total eclipse and a partial eclipse, the latter of which many people have observed at one time or another, because partial eclipses are always visible over a much larger area than total eclipses. That difference — even the difference between a total solar eclipse and a partial eclipse that covers 99 percent of the sun's disk — is the difference between night and day. (That said, totality is never as dark as night, and the darkness in every total eclipse is different because it depends on several factors, including your location.) Those who have not actually been immersed in totality have a hard time understanding what all of the fuss is about. It is, however, the most remarkable event ever delivered by the sky. Only the aurora, a close second, comes near totality in impact on the eye and on the heart. [Total Solar Eclipse 2017: When, Where and How to See It (Safely) <https://www.space.com/33797-total-solar-eclipse-2017-guide.html>]

The 2017 NASA astronaut class, from left, Cardman, Jasmin Moghbeli, Jonny Kim, Frank Rubio, Matthew Dominick, Warren Hoburg, Robb Kulin, Kayla Barron, Bob Hines, Raja Chari, Loral O' Hara and Jessica Watkins.

[...]

NASA, ESA Spacecraft Track Solar Storm Through Space
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/20141014_2354_c3_1024.jpg>
 <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-esa-spacecraft-track-solar-storm-through-space/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-esa-spacecraft-track-solar-storm-through-space/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-esa-spacecraft-track-solar-storm-through-space/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-esa-spacecraft-track-solar-storm-through-space/#> <https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/nasa-esa-spacecraft-track-solar-storm-through-space/#>
Our Sun is active: Not only does it release a constant stream of material, called the solar wind, but it also lets out occasional bursts of faster-moving material, known as coronal mass ejections, or CMEs. NASA researchers wish to improve our understanding of CMEs and how they move through space because they can interact with the magnetic field around Earth, affecting satellites, interfering with GPS signals, triggering auroras, and — in extreme cases — straining power grids.vWhile we track CMEs with a number of instruments, the sheer size of the solar system means that our observations are limited, and usually taken from a distance. However, scientists have recently used data from 10 NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) spacecraft in the direct path of a CME to piece together an unprecedented portrait of how these solar storms move through space — in particular, narrowing down the changes in speed that happen as CMEs travel through the solar system beyond Earth’s orbit. The results were published on Aug. 14, 2017 in the Journal of Geophysical Research <http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017JA023884/abstract>. This new set of observations adds key information to the models needed to track how material moves and changes throughout space in the solar system — crucial to understanding the medium through which our spacecraft travel, as we venture farther and farther from home. On Oct. 14, 2014, a CME left the Sun, as measured by spacecraft that watch for CMEs from afar using an instrument called a coronagraph. From there, the CME washed over spacecraft throughout the inner solar system — including passing by Curiosity on Mars, near comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and out to Saturn. This wealth of data from directly in the path of the CME is a boon for scientists working on space science simulations. At NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, scientists work to validate, host and improve such simulations, and this new information provides the most comprehensive look to date at how the speed of a CME evolves over time.