[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html https://spaceflightnow.com

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Mon Apr 17 00:22:02 CDT 2017

Good morning all,
 I think most of you are back today but know some are still on break…counting the minutes to hurry back :-) :-) I hope those of you who celebrated Easter, had a Happy Holiday….I wanted to share about the launch on the 18th at 11:11 EST….everyone in the US, Brazil, & Trinidad should be able to see it live although I am not so sure what you will have access based on the info below…Norway, Denmark, Qatar, South Africa, & Germany... if you pass on the launch info, the kids can watch it at home if they like….:-) I am not quite sure what it all means but i think the part about the headset and looking around the launch pad must be spectacular….remember to go to either or both subject links for the latest updates…today I will be visiting Jefferson Middle, speaking with the 8th graders…always my favorite thing to do...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, smile and have fun! Gabe

I know you are always so pressed for time but if you can find a few minutes...this is an amazing link about oceans on Jupiter’s moon….   https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/04/13/new-discoveries-raise-prospects-for-life-on-moons-of-jupiter-and-saturn/

Watch World’s First Live 360 Degree Video of Rocket Launch April 18
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/ksc-315d-0475_0177_0.jpg>
The United Launch Alliance Atlas V rocket is seen in a December 2015 image in place at Space Launch Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Sealed inside the payload fairing atop the rocket is the Orbital ATK Cygnus spacecraft filled with science, crew supplies and equipment that launched to the International Space Station on December 6, 2015.
Credits: United Launch Alliance
 <applewebdata://FEB00D3B-895A-42F5-9A90-A7C8EB00FFDF#>
NASA, in coordination with United Launch Alliance <http://www.ulalaunch.com/> (ULA) and Orbital ATK <http://www.nasa.gov/orbitalatk>, will broadcast the world’s first live 360-degree stream of a rocket launch. The live 360 stream of the cargo resupply mission liftoff to the International Space Station may be viewed on the NASA Television YouTube channel starting 10 minutes prior to lift off at: http://youtube.com/nasatelevision <http://youtube.com/nasatelevision> Orbital ATK’s Cygnus spacecraft will launch on a ULA Atlas V rocket carrying more than 7,600 pounds of science research, crew supplies and hardware to the orbiting laboratory. Launch is targeted for Tuesday, April 18 during a 30-minute window that opens at 11:11 a.m. EDT. To view in 360, use a mouse or move a personal device to look up and down, back and forth, for a 360-degree view around Space Launch Complex-41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida. Note: not all browsers support viewing 360 videos. YouTube supports playback of 360-degree videos on computers using Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Opera browsers. Viewers may use the YouTube app to view the launch on a smart phone. Those who own virtual reality headsets will be able to look around and experience the view as if they were actually standing on the launch pad. While virtual reality and 360 technology have been increasing in popularity, live 360 technology is a brand new capability that has recently emerged. Recognizing the exciting possibilities opened by applying this new technology to spaceflight, NASA, ULA, and Orbital ATK seized this opportunity to virtually place the public at the base of the rocket during launch. Minimum viewing distance is typically miles away from the launch pad, but the live 360 stream enables viewers to get a pads-eye view. For information about Orbital ATK’s cargo resupply mission, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/orbitalatk <http://www.nasa.gov/orbitalatk>

NOAA's GOES-S Satellite in Thermal Vacuum Testing
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/mainimage2goesstvac2101791.jpg>
In March, NOAA's Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite-S (GOES-S) satellite was lifted into a thermal vacuum chamber to test its ability to function in the cold void of space in its orbit 22,300 miles above the Earth. The most complicated and challenging test is thermal vacuum where a satellite experiences four cycles of extreme cold to extreme heat in a giant vacuum chamber. To simulate the environment of space, the chamber is cooled to below minus 100 degrees Celsius or minus 148 degrees Fahrenheit and air is pumped out. The test simulates the temperature changes GOES-S will encounter in space, as well as worst case scenarios of whether the instruments can come back to life in case of a shut down that exposes them to even colder temperatures. In this photo from March 8, the GOES-S satellite was lowered into the giant vacuum chamber at Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver, Colorado. GOES-S will be in the thermal vacuum chamber for 45 days. As of March 30, two of four thermal cycles were complete. GOES-S is the second in the GOES-R series. The GOES-R program is a collaborative development and acquisition effort between the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and NASA.  The GOES-R series of satellites will help meteorologists observe and predict local weather events, including thunderstorms, tornadoes, fog, flash floods, and other severe weather. In addition, GOES-R will monitor hazards such as aerosols, dust storms, volcanic eruptions, and forest fires and will also be used for space weather, oceanography, climate monitoring, in-situ data collection, and for search and rescue. For more information about GOES-S, visit: www.goes-r.gov <http://www.goes-r.gov/>  or  www.nasa.gov/goes <http://www.nasa.gov/goes>

This Week in NASA History: First Space Shuttle Mission, STS-1, Launches -- April 12, 1981
I saw this first launch from a very special VIP section thanks to my buddy Tim being selected as Airman of the Year…his prize was an unbelievable car pass to a VIP viewing area…..4 of us went out the night before, partied and camped out all night….then saw the launch in the morning….:-) :-) it was tough being in the Air Force, stationed at Cocoa Beach, Florida…:-) :-) but I did it for my country!!! :-) :-)
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/327705main_8111969_full.jpg>

This week in 1981, space shuttle Columbia and STS-1 lifted off from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, marking the first flight of the Space Shuttle Program. Columbia's 36-orbit flight tested the vehicle's performance as a reusable spacecraft. The orbiter successfully returned to Earth April 14, 1981, and for the next 30 years the program’s five spacecraft carried people into orbit repeatedly, launched, recovered and repaired satellites, conducted cutting-edge research and built the largest structure in space -- the International Space Station. Today, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center's Payload Operations Integration Center serves as "science central" for the space station, working 24/7, 365 days a year in support of the orbiting laboratory's scientific experiments. The NASA History Program is responsible for generating, disseminating, and preserving NASA’s remarkable history and providing a comprehensive understanding of the institutional, cultural, social, political, economic, technological, and scientific aspects of NASA’s activities in aeronautics and space. For more pictures like this one and to connect to NASA’s history, visit the Marshall History Program’s webpage <https://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/history/index.html>.