[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Tue Sep 20 22:38:09 CDT 2016

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a wonderful weekend and will enjoy this week as we pass through it….wow... already Wednesday….:-) I know most of you teach STEM and some also teach STEAM (includes Arts), which I think is great….so I included this story to show how Art is such an integral part of science and the benefits of linking the two….special thanks to Tina, who always keeps me up to date on the Arts….also the planned launch of three astronauts from Russia to the ISS has been delayed indefinitely, will update you as soon as I have good info….wishing you all a wonderful day....we have to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, be thankful for the good in our lives, let those we care about most know, smile, and have fun... Gabe

Childhood Cancer Patients to Speak with NASA Astronaut on Space Station
Patients from The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston will have the opportunity to speak with a NASA astronaut currently living and working on the International Space Station at 3:55 p.m. EDT on Friday, Sept. 16. The 20-minute, Earth-to-space call will air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website

Astronaut Kate Rubins, assists young artists at MD Anderson Cancer Center, as they discover the healing aspects of art, while taking a break from treatment in May 2016.

Expedition 49 Flight Engineer Kate Rubins, who has a degree in cancer biology, will answer questions from several patients turned artists. In the fall of 2015, MD Anderson Cancer Center partnered with NASA’s Johnson Space Center to design a hand-painted spacesuit decorated by patients recovering at the hospital to raise awareness about the benefits of pairing art with medicine. Rubins, retired astronaut Nicole Stott, and other NASA personnel have lent their artistic talents to this project and worked as mentors to the patients over the past year.

Three spacesuits, HOPE, COURAGE and UNITY, were created during the project. Spacesuit UNITY was created at cancer hospitals in Germany, Russia, and Japan with collaboration from astronauts from NASA’s international partners, ESA (European Space Agency), the Russian Federal Space Agency and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. Rubins will wear the COURAGE suit during the conversation. Follow the Space Suit Art Project on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/Spacesuitart <https://twitter.com/Spacesuitart> For NASA TV streaming video, schedule and downlink information, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv> For more information about the International Space Station, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/station <http://www.nasa.gov/station>

Astronauts Study Pill Properties and Laser Heating <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2016/09/20/astronauts-study-pill-properties-and-laser-heating/>
 <https://flic.kr/p/LYsYuJ>
Astronaut Kate Rubins wears a hand-painted spacesuit decorated by patients recovering at the MD Anderson Cancer Center to raise awareness about the benefits of pairing art with medicine.

The Expedition 49 crew is helping the pharmaceutical industry improve drug design while also helping researchers understand the properties of materials burning at high temperatures. The International Space Station‘s microgravity environment helps reveal new characteristics of physical and organic processes cloaked by Earth’s gravity. Scientists, doctors and engineers use these observations to design products and procedures to benefit humans living on Earth and in space. The new Eli Lilly-Hard to Wet Surfaces <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2275.html> experiment is researching how different materials dissolve in water. NASA astronaut Kate Rubins set up a camera to automatically photograph the process today using six samples. Results could benefit how pills are designed improving drug delivery inside the body. Japanese astronaut Takuya Onishi swapped samples for the Group Combustion <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1077.html> experiment inside the Electrostatic Levitation Furnace <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1752.html>. The furnace is a device that observes and measures the thermophysical properties of materials heated to high temperatures using lasers. Onishi is also closing out the Mouse Epigenetics <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1992.html> study and cleaning up the Cell Biology Experiment Facility <http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/342.html>. The life science facility contains an incubator with an artificial gravity generator. Commander Anatoly Ivanishin continued checking out Russian laptop computers and life support systems today. The veteran cosmonaut also transferred gear from a cargo ship and wrapped up a 24-hour data recording session for the Cosmocard <http://www.energia.ru/en/iss/researches/human/12.html> blood circulation study.

Next Station Crew Launch Postponed
 <https://flic.kr/p/MawK9n>
Expedition 49-50 crew members (from left) Shane Kimbrough, Sergey Ryzhikov and Andrey Borisenko. Roscosmos decided to postpone the planned September 23, 2016 launch of the spacecraft “Soyuz MS – 02” for technical reasons after routine tests at the Baikonur Cosmodrome. The launch date of the spacecraft will be announced later. Please visit the Roscosmos website <http://en.roscosmos.ru/20645/> for the latest information.

NASA Opens Media Accreditation, New Target Dates Set for Orbital ATK Resupply Launch from Virginia
Media accreditation now is open, with new launch dates, for the next NASA-contracted cargo resupply flight launching from Virginia to the International Space Station. Orbital ATK is targeting no earlier than Oct. 9-13 for the launch of its Cygnus spacecraft on an Antares rocket from the Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport’s Pad-0A at NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility in Wallops Island, Virginia. A more specific date will be identified after completion of final operational milestones and technical reviews. Launch times range from 10:47 p.m. EDT Sunday, Oct. 9 to 9:13 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 13.   International media without U.S. citizenship must have previously applied for credentials to cover the prelaunch and launch activities at Wallops. The application deadline is Friday, Sept. 30 for media who are U.S. citizens. Media should send their accreditation request to Keith Koehler at keith.a.koehler at nasa.gov <mailto:keith.a.koehler at nasa.gov>. For questions about accreditation or additional information, contact Koehler by email or at 757-824-1579. This will be the sixth planned cargo resupply mission by Orbital ATK under NASA’s Commercial Resupply Services contract with the company and the fourth launch from Virginia. Cargo resupply by U.S. companies enables a national capability to deliver critical science research to the space station, significantly increasing NASA's ability to conduct new science investigations aboard the world’s only microgravity laboratory. Get more information about Orbital ATK, its Antares rocket and the Cygnus cargo spacecraft at: http://www.nasa.gov/orbital <http://www.nasa.gov/orbital> For more information about the International Space Station, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/station <http://www.nasa.gov/station>

Infrared Echoes of a Black Hole Eating a Star

 <https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/iotd.html#> <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20027_updated.jpg>
This illustration shows a glowing stream of material from a star, disrupted as it was being devoured by a supermassive black hole. The feeding black hole is surrounded by a ring of dust. This dust was previously illuminated by flares of high-energy radiation from the feeding black hole, and is now shown re-radiating some of that energy.