[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Tue Mar 29 04:17:20 CDT 2016

good morning all,
 I know many of you are back this week and others are starting] your spring break….for those who celebrate, I hope you had a wonderful Easter…I think I have been doing this group email for around 12 years, maybe more and have shared so much of my life with you. It has been so much fun to get responses and I get so many about the positive thoughts we share…when I write them it is to remind us all to focus our thoughts on the positives in our lives so we can better enjoy our day….one of the things I say is to let those we care about most know….this really hit home with me because on Saturday while at swim practice….most of you know I swim 5 days a week, about 3,000 meters (almost 2 miles) a day with a group of master swimmers…..our coach, Ed, who is a former olympic coach, an all american swimmers who swims with us, and continues to compete at the National level….he also is very active in the weight room, follows a strict eating routine and is probably in as good a shape as anyone I know… just had a complete physical, came through with flying colors….during the beginning of our practice on Sat, while swimming, he suffered an “incident”, passed out in the pool and stopped breathing. As we tried to revive him, he was turning purple, nothing was working…fortunately emergency equipment was available at the pool and a portable defib was used to shock his heart back to functioning and I know saved his life….he is still in intensive care but recovering…I really thought he was going to die on the pool deck, such a helpless feeling to see such a great friend seemingly dying in front of your eyes…someone who you believe to be indestructible reduced to helplessness…so I wanted to share this as a reminder to never take anyone you care about for granted, to not let petty disagreements stand in the way, and to remind us  all….there are no givens, no guarantees, no one is above indestructible…

 For those who did not see last weeks email I wanted to again mention every year there is an Aerospace Educators Workshop in Lakeland, Florida...I have been fortunate to present quite a few times and actually met many of you there in prior years so it is very special for me….it is April 9th and I will be there so it would be fun if you can make it as there is full day of activities from which you can choose…it is also wonderful day for teachers to be recognized which I feel is so deserving… there is a great site called futureengineers.org <http://futureengineers.org/> which gives kids in grades K-12 an opportunity to develop 3D modeling for printing as well as many other challenges…I think you and the kids will find it very interesting as well as educational…if you have a few minutes, share this video with the kids about last weeks mission to the ISS, it is very educational and a great overview of the supply missions to the ISS…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkhJJ0aZnoc#action=share <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkhJJ0aZnoc#action=share> wishing everyone a wonderful day...we must always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, be thankful for the good in our lives, smile and have fun....gabe

SUN 'n FUN AEROSPACE EDUCATORS' WORKSHOP - SUN 'n FUN <http://www.sun-n-fun.org/sun-n-fun-intl-fly-in-expo/sun-n-fun-aerospace-educators-workshop/>

SUN 'n FUN AEROSPACE EDUCATORS' WORKSHOP - SUN 'n FUN
The annual Sun ’n Fun aerospace educators’ workshop provides teachers the opportunity to learn techn...
 <http://www.sun-n-fun.org/sun-n-fun-intl-fly-in-expo/sun-n-fun-aerospace-educators-workshop/>

Future Engineers <http://www.dnsrsearch.com/web.php?direct=1&URL=http%3A%2F%2Ffutureengineers.org%2F&loc=mtw0&lHost=futureengineers.org&ut=nxd&ep=nxd&rank=1>
Welcome to the second challenge on Future Engineers, which invites K-12 students to create 3D designs for space! <http://www.dnsrsearch.com/web.php?direct=1&URL=http%3A%2F%2Ffutureengineers.org%2F&loc=mtw0&lHost=futureengineers.org&ut=nxd&ep=nxd&rank=1>
futureengineers.org <http://www.dnsrsearch.com/web.php?direct=1&URL=http%3A%2F%2Ffutureengineers.org%2F&loc=mtw0&lHost=futureengineers.org&ut=nxd&ep=nxd&rank=1>

 <http://www.dnsrsearch.com/web.php?direct=1&URL=http%3A%2F%2Ffutureengineers.org%2F&loc=mtw0&lHost=futureengineers.org&ut=nxd&ep=nxd&rank=1>

KSC Employee Update:
Take a Look Inside KSC!

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKzwYUY1E8>This week Inside KSC! <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKzwYUY1E8>…
An Orbital ATK Cygnus module launches to the International Space Station carrying 7,500 pounds of supplies and experiments, and media representatives are given the opportunity to view the crew access arm for Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner.

Be sure to share Inside KSC! available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKzwYUY1E8 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrKzwYUY1E8>.

Find out more in the current issue of Spaceport Magazine <https://issuu.com/spaceportmagazine/docs/spaceport_magazine_____march_2016>.

Cygnus Installed to Station’s Unity Module <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2016/03/26/cygnus-installed-to-stations-unity-module/>
 <http://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/wp-content/uploads/sites/240/2016/03/ISS_03-26-16.jpg>
the International Space Station’s configuration consists of five spacecraft docked to the orbital laboratory including the new Cygnus cargo ship installed to the Unity module. Credit: NASA

The Orbital ATK Cygnus cargo ship was bolted into place on the International Space Station’s Earth-facing port of the Unity module at 10:52 a.m. EDT.The spacecraft’s arrival will support the crew members’ research off the Earth to benefit the Earth. The Cygnus is delivering more than 7,700 pounds of science and research, crew supplies and vehicle hardware to the orbital laboratory to support dozens of approximately 250 science and research investigations that will occur during Expeditions 47 and 48. Beginning with this mission, Cygnus is equipped with a NanoRacks External Cygnus Deployer for CubeSats that will provide opportunities for small satellites to be deployed from Cygnus after the vehicle departs from the ISS. The spacecraft will spend more than a month attached to the space station before separating from the station. After completion of its primary ISS resupply mission, Cygnus depart a safe distance from the station before deploying the satellites, and begin its destructive re-entry into Earth’s atmosphere in May 2016, disposing of about 3,000 pounds of trash. Join the conversation on Twitter by following @Space_Station and the hashtag #Cygnus. To learn more about all the ways to connect and collaborate with NASA, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/connect This entry was posted in Expedition 47 <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/category/expedition-47/> and tagged cygnus <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/cygnus/>, European Space Agency <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/european-space-agency/>, Expedition 47 <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/expedition-47-2/>, International Space Station <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/international-space-station/>, NASA <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/nasa/>, Orbital ATK <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/orbital-atk/>, progress <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/progress/>, Roscosmos <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/roscosmos/>, Soyuz <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/tag/soyuz/> on March 26, 2016 <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/2016/03/26/cygnus-installed-to-stations-unity-module/> by Mark Garcia <https://blogs.nasa.gov/spacestation/author/magarcia/>.

Hubble Looks Into a Cosmic Kaleidoscope
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/hubble_friday_03252016.jpg>
At first glance, this cosmic kaleidoscope of purple, blue and pink offers a strikingly beautiful — and serene — snapshot of the cosmos. However, this multi-colored haze actually marks the site of two colliding galaxy clusters, forming a single object known as MACS J0416.1-2403 <http://frontierfields.org/meet-the-frontier-fields/macsj0416/> (or MACS J0416 for short). MACS J0416 is located about 4.3 billion light-years from Earth, in the constellation of Eridanus. This image of the cluster combines data from three different telescopes: the NASA/ESA Hubble Space Telescope <https://www.nasa.gov/hubble> (showing the galaxies and stars), the NASA Chandra X-ray Observatory <http://chandra.si.edu/> (diffuse emission in blue), and the NRAO Jansky Very Large Array <http://www.vla.nrao.edu/> (diffuse emission in pink). Each telescope shows a different element of the cluster, allowing astronomers to study MACS J0416 in detail. As with all galaxy clusters, MACS J0416 contains a significant amount of dark matter, which leaves a detectable imprint in visible light by distorting the images of background galaxies. In this image, this dark matter appears to align well with the blue-hued hot gas, suggesting that the two clusters have not yet collided; if the clusters had already smashed into one another, the dark matter and gas would have separated. MACS J0416 also contains other features — such as a compact core of hot gas — that would likely have been disrupted had a collision already occurred. Together with five other galaxy clusters, MACS J0416 is playing a leading role in the Hubble Frontier Fields program <http://frontierfields.org/>, for which this data was obtained. Owing to its huge mass, the cluster is in fact bending the light of background objects, acting as a magnifying lens. Astronomers can use this phenomenon to find galaxies that existed only hundreds of million years after the big bang. For more information on both Frontier Fields and the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, see Hubblecast 90: The final frontier <https://www.spacetelescope.org/videos/hubblecast90a/>.

Simulated Atmosphere of a Hot Gas Giant
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20066.jpg>
The turbulent atmosphere of a hot, gaseous planet known as HD 80606b <http://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/investigating-the-mystery-of-migrating-hot-jupiters> is shown in this simulation based on data from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. The planet spends most of its time far away from its star, but every 111 days, it swings extremely close to the star, experiencing a massive burst of heat. Spitzer measured the whole heating cycle of this planet, determining its coolest (less than 400 degrees Fahrenheit) and hottest (2,000 degrees Fahrenheit) temperatures.