[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Fri Jun 3 04:57:39 CDT 2016

Good morning all,
 I know most schools are winding down and getting ready for the summer break….so may sad teachers and kids….:-) :-) for sure the teachers need the break, it still amazes me what teachers do, day in and layout, year after year….yesterday I visited Winthrop Charter Elementary School to support their Science Day, spoke with the whole school, k-5, did a presentation to the whole school, one grade at a time….it was awesome, kids and teacher great…a little rushed for time but I think we made the best of it…..one of the few school I visit where the kids wear uniforms…it may seem strange as I believe it makes a difference in a positive way. I would like to thank my good friend Debra for making all the arrangements and her first graders for the special time I was able to spend in their classroom…they were adorable, all so friendly, so full of questions…if any of you are teaching summer school and would like me to visit your school, let me know….time is a blur right now as it seems I blink and a week goes bye… I love this time of the year when it is hot & sunny and the beach is calling :-) :-) wishing you a wonderful day...we have to always remember to do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, let those we care about most know, make each day special, smile & have fun! Gabe

NASA Announces Coverage, Media Activities for Juno Mission Arrival at Jupiter
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/418037main_image_1568_full.jpg>
NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft will arrive at Jupiter July 4, 2016.
Credits: NASA
 <applewebdata://2D224917-A974-4C31-9A25-6795981D7318#>
This Fourth of July, NASA’s solar-powered Juno spacecraft will arrive at Jupiter after an almost five-year journey. News briefings, photo opportunities and other media events will be held at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, and air live on NASA Television and the agency’s website. In the evening of July 4, Juno will perform a suspenseful orbit insertion maneuver, a 35-minute burn of its main engine, to slow the spacecraft by about 1,212 miles per hour (542 meters per second) so it can be captured into the gas giant’s orbit. Once in Jupiter’s orbit, the spacecraft will circle the Jovian world 37 times during 20 months, skimming to within 3,100 miles (5,000 kilometers) above the cloud tops. This is the first time a spacecraft will orbit the poles of Jupiter, providing new answers to ongoing mysteries about the planet’s core, composition and magnetic fields. NASA TV Events http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv> http://www.ustream.tv/nasa <http://www.ustream.tv/nasa> http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl <http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl> Live coverage on orbit insertion day also will be available online via Facebook Live at: http://www.facebook.com/nasa <http://www.facebook.com/nasa> http://www.facebook.com/nasajpl <http://www.facebook.com/nasajpl>

 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/fireball_from_mmt_observatory2.jpg>
Fireball Lights Pre-Dawn Sky over Arizona
For a few seconds early Thursday, night turned into day as an extremely bright fireball lit the pre-dawn sky over much of Arizona, blinding all-sky meteor cameras as far away as western New Mexico. Based on the latest data, a small asteroid estimated at 5 feet (1-2 meters) in diameter - with a mass of a few tons and a kinetic energy of approximately half a kiloton - entered Earth's atmosphere above Arizona just before 4 a.m. local (MST) time. NASA estimates that the asteroid was moving at about 40,200 miles per hour (64,700 kilometers per hour). Eyewitness reports placed the object at an altitude of 57 miles above the Tonto National Forest east of the town of Payson, moving almost due south. It was last seen at an altitude of 22 miles above that same forest. “There are no reports of any damage or injuries—just a lot of light and few sonic booms,” said Bill Cooke in NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office <https://www.nasa.gov/offices/meo/home/index.html> at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. “If Doppler radar is any indication, there are almost certainly meteorites scattered on the ground north of Tucson.” The NASA Meteoroid Environments Office (MEO) monitors the small rock (meteoroid) environment near Earth in order to assess the risks posed to spacecraft by these bits of tiny space debris. As part of this effort, it operates a network of meteor cameras within the U.S. that are capable of detecting meteors brighter than the planet Jupiter. Three of these cameras are in southern Arizona. Cooke notes that he and other meteor experts are having difficulty obtaining data on the June 2 fireball from meteor camera videos, since many of the cameras were almost completely saturated by the bright event. The event did leave smoke trails that were caught on video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN--uCY0LUY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN--uCY0LUY> and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOqPOL1gIM <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOqPOL1gIM>.  Meteoroid impacts are a continuously occurring natural process.  Every day, about 80 to 100 tons of material falls upon the Earth from space in the form of dust and meteorites. Over the past 20 years, U.S. government sensors have detected nearly 600 small asteroids, a few meters in size, which have entered the Earth’s atmosphere and created spectacular bolides. The superbolide that impacted over Chelyabinsk, Russia in 2013 is estimated to have been 65 feet (20 meters) in size and released over 800 times the energy of the Arizona fireball. Impacts of that size take place a few times a century, and impacts of larger asteroids are expected to be far less frequent (on the scale of centuries to millennia) but can happen on any day. NASA’s Planetary Defense Coordination Office <http://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense> is responsible for finding, tracking, and characterizing near-Earth asteroids, identifying potentially hazardous objects, and planning for the mitigation of potential impacts to Earth that could do damage at ground level. More than 14,000 near-Earth asteroids (NEAs) have been discovered since NASA-sponsored efforts began in 1998 to detect, track and catalogue asteroids and comets.

A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY J

STS-119 MCC Status Report #05 <http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=bWFpbGluZ2lkPTQzOTQyNCZtZXNzYWdlaWQ9UFJELUJVTC00Mzk0MjQmZGF0YWJhc2VpZD0xMDAxJnNlcmlhbD0xMjE1NDgwMTc5JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZleHRyYT0mJiY=&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts119/news/STS-119-05.html> The space shuttle Discovery docked with the International Space Station at 4:20 p.m. CDT, delivering the final truss segment and pair of U.S. solar arrays and a new crew member to take up residence aboard the growing orbital scientific complex.

NASA's New Horizons Detects Pluto Surface Features, Including Possible Polar Cap
Features from Deep Space

 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/nh-stern_1.jpg>