[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle gabe at educatemotivate.com
Sun Jul 3 09:38:27 CDT 2016

Good morning all,
 I knowI have not sent any correspondence for a while, been crazy busy but always having fun…I know many of you still teach during the summer or check email plus many friends who are not teachers will still receive this…the last few weeks have been great... participating in a Cub Scout Day Camp: Cups in Space, Learning About Space and at the World Golf Hall of Fame & Museum’s IMAX Theater in St Augustine… doing a presentation and introduce the opening of a new movie, A Beautiful Planet…it is an excellent movie, I highly recommend it….we are getting ready to celebrate July 4th, Independence Day…such a special day in our Country’s History…when I go to other countries I see so much patriotism, it make some feel so good…I think in the US we really have lost so much of feeling good about our country...having travelled around the world many times, I still feel it is the greatest country…an historic event will take place tomorrow as the Juno spacecraft will be arriving at Jupiter after a 5 year journey….one of it’s objectives it to study Auroras, which fascinate me, so I am looking forward to some great pictures….wishing everyone a wonderful 4th, I invite all our international friends to celebrate with us….please be safe and we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, be appreciative of the good in our lives, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know....smile & have fun, Gabe

NASA's Juno Spacecraft Getting Close to Jupiter
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20703.jpg>
This illustration depicts NASA's Juno spacecraft at Jupiter, with its solar arrays and main antenna pointed toward the distant sun and Earth.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
Full image and caption <http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/jpl/pia20703/juno-points-homeward-artists-concept>
NASA's Juno mission, launched nearly five years ago, will soon reach its final destination: the most massive planet in our solar system, Jupiter. On the evening of July 4, at roughly 9 p.m. PDT (12 a.m. EDT, July 5), the spacecraft will complete a burn of its main engine, placing it in orbit around the king of planets. During Juno's orbit-insertion phase, or JOI, the spacecraft will perform a series of steps in preparation for a main engine burn that will guide it into orbit. At 6:16 p.m. PDT (9:16 p.m. EDT), Juno will begin to turn slowly away from the sun and toward its orbit-insertion attitude. Then 72 minutes later, it will make a faster turn into the orbit-insertion attitude. At 7:41 p.m. PDT (10:41 p.m. EDT), Juno switches to its low-gain antenna. Fine-tune adjustments are then made to the spacecraft's attitude. Twenty-two minutes before the main engine burn, at 7:56 p.m. PDT (10:56 p.m. EDT), the spacecraft spins up from 2 to 5 revolutions per minute (RPM) to help stabilize it for the orbit insertion burn. At 8:18 p.m. PDT (11:18 p.m. EDT), Juno's 35-minute main-engine burn will begin. This will slow it enough to be captured by the giant planet’s gravity. The burn will impart a mean change in velocity of 1,212 mph (542 meters a second) on the spacecraft. It is performed in view of Earth, allowing its progress to be monitored by the mission teams at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, and Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver, via signal reception by Deep Space Network antennas in Goldstone, California, and Canberra, Australia. After the main engine burn, Juno will be in orbit around Jupiter. The spacecraft will spin down from 5 to 2 RPM, turn back toward the sun, and ultimately transmit telemetry via its high-gain antenna. Juno starts its tour of Jupiter in a 53.5-day orbit. The spacecraft saves fuel by executing a burn that places it in a capture orbit with a 53.5-day orbit instead of going directly for the 14-day orbit that will occur during the mission's primary science collection period. The 14-day science orbit phase will begin after the final burn of the mission for Juno’s main engine on October 19. JPL manages the Juno mission for NASA. The mission's principal investigator is Scott Bolton of Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio. The mission is part of NASA's New Frontiers Program, managed at the agency's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, for NASA's Science Mission Directorate. Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Denver built the spacecraft. Learn more about the June mission, and get an up-to-date schedule of events, at: http://www.nasa.gov/juno <http://www.nasa.gov/juno> https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/jupiter/junotoolkit <https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/planets/jupiter/junotoolkit> Follow the mission on social media at: http://www.facebook.com/NASAJuno <http://www.facebook.com/NASAJuno> http://www.twitter.com/NASAJuno <http://www.twitter.com/NASAJuno> For NASA TV streaming video and schedules, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv>

Jupiter, the largest planet in the solar system, is best known for its colorful storms, the most famous being the Great Red Spot. Now astronomers have focused on another beautiful feature of the planet, using Hubble's ultraviolet capabilities.

 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/hs-2016-24-a-print-new.jpg>
Astronomers are using NASA's Hubble Space Telescope to study auroras — stunning light shows in a planet's atmosphere — on the poles of the largest planet in the solar system, Jupiter.
Credits: NASA, ESA, and J. Nichols (University of Leicester)
The extraordinary vivid glows shown in the new observations are known as auroras. They are created when high-energy particles enter a planet’s atmosphere near its magnetic poles and collide with atoms of gas. As well as producing beautiful images, this program aims to determine how various components of Jupiter’s auroras respond to different conditions in the solar wind, a stream of charged particles ejected from the sun. This observation program is perfectly timed as NASA’s Juno <https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/overview/index.html> spacecraft is currently in the solar wind near Jupiter and will enter the orbit of the planet in early July 2016. While Hubble is observing and measuring the auroras on Jupiter, Juno is measuring the properties of the solar wind itself; a perfect collaboration between a telescope and a space probe “These auroras are very dramatic and among the most active I have ever seen”, said Jonathan Nichols from the University of Leicester, U.K., and principal investigator of the study. “It almost seems as if Jupiter is throwing a firework party for the imminent arrival of Juno. To highlight changes in the auroras Hubble is observing Jupiter almost daily for several months. Using this series of far-ultraviolet images from Hubble's Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph, it is possible for scientists to create videos that demonstrate the movement of the vivid auroras, which cover areas bigger than Earth Not only are the auroras huge in size, they are also hundreds of times more energetic than auroras on Earth. And, unlike those on Earth, they never cease. While on Earth the most intense auroras are caused by solar storms — when charged particles rain down on the upper atmosphere, excite gases and cause them to glow red, green and purple — Jupiter has an additional source for its auroras The strong magnetic field of the gas giant grabs charged particles from its surroundings. This includes not only the charged particles within the solar wind but also the particles thrown into space by its orbiting moon Io, known for its numerous and large volcanoes. The new observations and measurements made with Hubble and Juno will help to better understand how the sun and other sources influence auroras. While the observations with Hubble are still ongoing and the analysis of the data will take several more months, the first images and videos are already available and show the auroras on Jupiter’s north pole in their full beauty. The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, manages the Juno mission for Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas. Juno is part of NASA's New Frontiers Program, which is managed at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington, D.C. Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver, built the spacecraft. The California Institute of Technology in Pasadena manages JPL for NASA. The Hubble Space Telescope is a project of international cooperation between NASA and the European Space Agency. NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, manages the telescope. The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore, Maryland, conducts Hubble science operations. STScI is operated for NASA by the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy (AURA) in Washington, D.C. For images, video and more information about auroras on Jupiter and Hubble, visit: http://hubblesite.org/news/2016/24 <http://hubblesite.org/news/2016/24>  http://www.nasa.gov/hubble <http://www.nasa.gov/hubble>

NASA TV to Air Russian Cargo Ship Movement at Space Station

The unpiloted ISS Progress 62 Russian cargo ship is seen docked to the Pirsdocking compartment of the International Space Station. The spacecraft launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan Dec. 21, 2015 and docked two days later.

Credits: NASA

I know this has passed but you can still go to the links below to see replays

A Russian cargo ship currently docked to the International Space Station will undock for a short test flight on Friday, July 1. NASA Television coverage will begin at 1:15 a.m. EDT.  The Progress 62 cargo ship will automatically undock from the Pirs Docking Compartment of the space station and manually be guided in to re-dock. The maneuver will begin with undocking at 1:36 a.m. and take approximately 30 minutes, with re-docking planned for 2:10 a.m. This activity will test a newly installed manual docking system inside the station’s Russian segment. The resupply ship will back away to a distance of about 600 feet (about 183 meters) from the station, at which point Expedition 48 cosmonauts Alexey Ovchinin and Oleg Skripochka of the Russian space agency Roscosmos will take manual control of the spacecraft. They will use a workstation in the Zvezda Service Module to “fly” the Progress back to a linkup with Pirs. The system test will include verification of software and a new signal converter incorporated in the upgraded manual docking system for future use in both Progress and piloted Soyuz vehicles in the unlikely event the “Kurs” automated rendezvous in either craft encounters a problem. Progress 62 arrived at the station Dec. 23, 2015 with more than three tons of food, fuel and supplies, and will undock for the final time at 11:48 p.m. Saturday, July 2. The spacecraft, loaded with trash, will be deorbited by Russian flight controllers to burn up in the Earth’s atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. Check out the full NASA TV schedule and video streaming information at: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv <http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv> Keep up with the International Space Station and its research and crews, at: http://www.nasa.gov/station <http://www.nasa.gov/station>

NASA Extends Hubble Space Telescope Science Operations Contract
NASA is contractually extending science operations for its Hubble Space Telescope an additional five years. The agency awarded a sole source contract extension Thursday to the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy for continued Hubble science operations support at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore. This action will extend the period of performance from July 1 through June 30, 2021. The contract value will increase by approximately $196.3 million for a total contract value of $2.03 billion. This contract extension covers the work necessary to continue the science program of the Hubble mission by the Space Telescope Science Institute. The support includes the products and services required to execute science system engineering, science ground system development, science operations, science research, grants management and public outreach support for Hubble and data archive support for missions in the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes.  After the final space shuttle servicing mission to the telescope in 2009, Hubble is better than ever. Hubble is expected to continue to provide valuable data into the 2020’s, securing its place in history as an outstanding general purpose observatory in areas ranging from our solar system to the distant universe. In 2018, NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope will be launched into space as the premier observatory of the next decade, serving astronomers worldwide to build on Hubble’s legacy of discoveries and help unlock some of the biggest mysteries of the universe. For information about NASA and agency programs, visit: http://www.nasa.gov <http://www.nasa.gov/>

NASA Uploads App for Apple TV
Apple TV? There’s a NASA app for that. The agency released on Tuesday its popular NASA app for a new platform, the fourth-generation Apple TV. This version joins the app’s other versions available for iOS in iPhone and iPad versions, Android and Fire OS. The NASA app has been downloaded more than 17 million times across all platforms. “The NASA app has been a fantastic way for the public to experience the excitement of space exploration from their mobile devices,” said David Weaver, NASA associate administrator for Communications. “Now, users with the latest Apple TV can explore and enjoy our remarkable images, videos, mission information, NASA Television and more on the big screen with the whole family.”

The NASA app for Apple TV offers several features for users:
Watch live streaming NASA TV, and get a real-time view of the Earth from the International Space Station
View more than 15,000 images individually or as a continuous slideshow
Play on demand NASA videos
Find the next opportunity to view the International Space Station and other NASA satellites pass overhead, based on your location.
Display 2-D and -3-D satellite tracking maps
Discover the latest NASA mission information
Listen to Third Rock internet streaming radio
View the Earth as Art image gallery
The NASA app is available for free in the App Store on Apple TV. For more information about the NASA app, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/nasaapp <http://www.nasa.gov/nasaapp> And for more information about NASA’s missions and activities, visit: http://www.nasa.gov <http://www.nasa.gov/>

April 14, 1981, Landing of First Space Shuttle Mission <http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTYwNDE0LjU3Nzk0MzgxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE2MDQxNC41Nzc5NDM4MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3Mjk0MzE4JmVtYWlsaWQ9Zm9yZGdhYmVAbmV0emVyby5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWZvcmRnYWJlQG5ldHplcm8uY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/april-14-1981-landing-of-first-space-shuttle-mission?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery>
04/14/2016 09:52 AM EDT

The rear wheels of the space shuttle orbiter Columbia touched down on Rogers dry lake at Edwards Air Force Base, NASA's Armstrong Flight Research Center (then Dryden), California, to successfully complete a stay in space of more than two days. Astronauts John W. Young, STS-1 commander, and Robert L. Crippen, pilot, were aboard the vehicle.
 <http://links.govdelivery.com/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTYwNDE0LjU3Nzk0MzgxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE2MDQxNC41Nzc5NDM4MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3Mjk0MzE4JmVtYWlsaWQ9Zm9yZGdhYmVAbmV0emVyby5jb20mdXNlcmlkPWZvcmRnYWJlQG5ldHplcm8uY29tJmZsPSZleHRyYT1NdWx0aXZhcmlhdGVJZD0mJiY=&&&101&&&https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USNASA/bulletins/14330f5?reqfrom=share>