[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle fordgabe at netzero.com
Tue Dec 20 02:09:25 CST 2016

Good morning all,
 I hope everything has been great and you are having fun this festive season….on Saturday night I returned from such an amazing time in Norway, two weeks of visiting schools with kids in grades from 1-13…12 schools total...approximately 3,000 students, most in HS. The kids are amazing, so friendly, so eager to share thoughts, to look at better ways of approaching there lives, and always full of hugs... many of them I had seen before and it was wonderful to spend time with them again…we had a successful launch yesterday…it is so mazing living here…please go to this link to  see some fantastic pictures…
https://spaceflightnow.com/2016/12/20/photos-final-batch-of-echostar-19-launch-shots/ since I have spoken with so many new schools I wanted to add the info to see the ISS...https://spotthestation.nasa.gov
I want to wish all those celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah <https://0.r.bat.bing.com/?ld=d3ro7AIo9AYO1APt9XeKzxqDVUCUyci20AIb4kfiImE6c-RV26eYYA5s6YnceBxRrveQillcHJsrQr1YH2jcIlADKEemQ2ODU4fgmuQkKw4fSgWMXRFQ0rqEKZexmHnIf29E8yrytvOPNnI_c9zL3X1JrEjVA1PIWIzwTlEGbneK1GHKoT&u=https%3a%2f%2fwww.reference.com%2fslp%3f%26q%3djewish%2bchristmas%2bhanukkah%26sid%3d0a9cb3df-2aa1-4ba7-b26e-ac7359b4be27-0-rf_msb%26kwid%3djewish%2520holiday%2520konicaa%26cid%3d10943075590>, or any other holiday a very happy season and A Safe, Healthy, & Prosperous New Year...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, be appreciative of the good in our lives, let those we care about most know, smile & have fun!!!! J gabe

New Interactive Map Makes it Easier to Spot the Space Station...
https://spotthestation.nasa.gov

Nov. 2 marks 16 years of humans living and working continuously aboard the International Space Station, and you can see it from your house. Every day, via NASA’s popular Spot the Station <https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/> tool, more than 300,000 people track the opportunity to connect directly with astronauts in the orbiting laboratory as it circles the Earth. A new map-based feature makes it even easier to make that connection as the station flies overhead. The easy-to-navigate map lets users type a location directly into the search box, zoom, pan and search the map. Blue pins populate the map, identifying the best sighting opportunities for each location with a 50-miles radius around each pin. Visible to the naked eye, the station is best seen at dawn and dusk, and is the third brightest object in the sky. Earlier this year, NASA made available a new widget that easily embeds on most websites, making it possible to share the service broadly with an audience hoping to catch a glimpse of the station. Test the widget and find instructions on how to embed it via NASA’s website: https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/widget/ <https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/widget/>. The International Space Station's trajectory passes over more than 90 percent of Earth's population. The service notifies users of passes that are high enough in the sky to be easily visible over trees, buildings and other objects on the horizon. NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston calculates the sighting information several times a week for more than 6,700 locations worldwide.

Cosmic ‘Winter’ Wonderland
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/ngc6357.jpg>

Although there are no seasons in space, this cosmic vista invokes thoughts of a frosty winter landscape. It is, in fact, a region called NGC 6357 where radiation from hot, young stars is energizing the cooler gas in the cloud that surrounds them. This composite image contains X-ray data from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory and the ROSAT telescope (purple), infrared data from NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope (orange), and optical data from the SuperCosmos Sky Survey (blue) made by the United Kingdom Infrared Telescope. Located in our galaxy about 5,500 light years from Earth, NGC 6357 is actually a “cluster of clusters,” containing at least three clusters of young stars, including many hot, massive, luminous stars. The X-rays from Chandra and ROSAT reveal hundreds of point sources, which are the young stars in NGC 6357, as well as diffuse X-ray emission from hot gas. There are bubbles, or cavities, that have been created by radiation and material blowing away from the surfaces of massive stars, plus supernova explosions. Astronomers call NGC 6357 and other objects like it “HII” (pronounced “H-two”) regions. An HII region is created when the radiation from hot, young stars strips away the electrons from neutral hydrogen atoms in the surrounding gas to form clouds of ionized hydrogen, which is denoted scientifically as “HII”. Researchers use Chandra to study NGC 6357 and similar objects because young stars are bright in X-rays. Also, X-rays can penetrate the shrouds of gas and dust surrounding these infant stars, allowing astronomers to see details of star birth that would be otherwise missed. A recent paper on Chandra observations of NGC 6357 by Leisa Townsley of Pennsylvania State University appeared in The Astrophysical Journal Supplement Series and is available online <http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/1403.2576>. NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, manages the Chandra program for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Massachusetts, controls Chandra’s science and flight operations. Read More from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory <http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/2016/ngc6357/>. For more Chandra images, multimedia and related materials, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/chandra <http://www.nasa.gov/chandra>

Endeavour Lifts Off
Space shuttle Endeavour lights up the night sky as it lifts off from Launch Pad 39A at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The primary payload for the STS-130 mission to the International Space Station is the Tranquility node, a pressurized module that will provide additional room for crew members and many of the station's life support and environmental control systems. Attached to one end of Tranquility is a cupola, a unique work area with six windows on its sides and one on top. The cupola resembles a circular bay window and will provide a vastly improved view of the station's exterior. The multi-directional view will allow the crew to monitor spacewalks and docking operations, as well as provide a spectacular view of Earth and other celestial objects. The module was built in Turin, Italy, by Thales Alenia Space for the European Space Agency.