[Spacetalk] https://www.nasa.gov/index.html

Gabe Gabrielle fordgabe at netzero.com
Fri Aug 5 06:55:27 CDT 2016

Good morning all,
 I know it has been a while, I apologize but know many of you have been have been enjoying the summer….hard to believe school starts next week and many teachers went back this week…everything is going great here…I have been staying busy with summer programs and looking forward to the upcoming school year….for any of you who would like me to visit your school, email me and we will get it scheduled…on Wednesday I visited Florida Gulf Coast University in Fort Meyers, Florida to participate in a summer camp for 7th & 8th graders. It went great, especially because I had about 90 minutes with the kids…it will always be my favorite thing…I want to thank Tanya for all her help as I know it takes quite bit to do the scheduling and set everything up for the visits…we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, let those we care about most know, keep things in perspective, smile and have fun! Gabe

NASA's Next Mars Rover Progresses Toward 2020 Launch
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/m2020-rover-cad.jpg>
This image is from computer-assisted-design work on the Mars 2020 rover. The design leverages many successful features of NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars in 2012, but also adds new science instruments and a sampling system to carry out new goals for the 2020 mission.
Credits: NASA/JPL-Caltech
 <applewebdata://DF338720-2730-4BCB-9823-818F1D57A261#>
After an extensive review process and passing a major development milestone, NASA is ready to proceed with final design and construction of its next Mars rover, currently targeted to launch in the summer of 2020 and arrive on the Red Planet in February 2021. The Mars 2020 rover will investigate a region of Mars where the ancient environment may have been favorable for microbial life, probing the Martian rocks for evidence of past life. Throughout its investigation, it will collect samples of soil and rock and cache them on the surface for potential return to Earth by a future mission. “The Mars 2020 rover is the first step in a potential multi-mission campaign to return carefully selected and sealed samples of Martian rocks and soil to Earth,” said Geoffrey Yoder, acting associate administrator of NASA’s Science Mission Directorate in Washington. “This mission marks a significant milestone in NASA’s Journey to Mars <http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars> – to determine whether life has ever existed on Mars, and to advance our goal of sending humans to the Red Planet.” To reduce risk and provide cost savings, the 2020 rover will look much like its six-wheeled, one-ton predecessor, Curiosity, but with an array of new science instruments <http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4236>and enhancements to explore Mars as never before. For example, the rover will conduct the first investigation into the usability and availability of Martian resources, including oxygen, in preparation for human missions. Mars 2020 will carry an entirely new subsystem to collect and prepare Martian rocks and soil samples that includes a coring drill on its arm and a rack of sample tubes. About 30 of these sample tubes will be deposited at select locations for return on a potential future sample-retrieval mission. In laboratories on Earth, specimens from Mars could be analyzed for evidence of past life on Mars and possible health hazards for future human missions. Two science instruments mounted on the rover’s robotic arm will be used to search for signs of past life and determine where to collect samples by analyzing the chemical, mineral, physical and organic characteristics of Martian rocks. On the rover’s mast, two science instruments will provide high-resolution imaging and three types of spectroscopy for characterizing rocks and soil from a distance, also helping to determine which rock targets to explore up close. A suite of sensors on the mast and deck will monitor weather conditions and the dust environment, and a ground-penetrating radar will assess sub-surface geologic structure. The Mars 2020 rover will use the same sky crane <http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/details.php?id=1090> landing system as Curiosity, but will have the ability to land in more challenging terrain with two enhancements <http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/mission/technology/entry-descent-landing/>, making more rugged sites eligible as safe landing candidates. "By adding what’s known as range trigger, we can specify where we want the parachute to open, not just at what velocity we want it to open,” said Allen Chen, Mars 2020 entry, descent and landing lead at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California. "That shrinks our landing area by nearly half.” Terrain-relative navigation on the new rover will use onboard analysis of downward-looking images taken during descent, matching them to a map that indicates zones designated unsafe for landing. "As it is descending, the spacecraft can tell whether it is headed for one of the unsafe zones and divert to safe ground nearby,” said Chen. "With this capability, we can now consider landing areas with unsafe zones that previously would have disqualified the whole area. Also, we can land closer to a specific science destination, for less driving after landing.” There will be a suite of cameras and a microphone that will capture the never-before-seen or heard imagery and sounds of the entry, descent and landing sequence. Information from the descent cameras and microphone will provide valuable data to assist in planning future Mars landings, and make for thrilling video. "Nobody has ever seen what a parachute looks like as it is opening in the Martian atmosphere,” said JPL's David Gruel, assistant flight system manager for the Mars 2020 mission. “So this will provide valuable engineering information.” Microphones have flown on previous missions to Mars, including NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander in 2008, but never have actually been used on the surface of the Red Planet.  "This will be a great opportunity for the public to hear the sounds of Mars for the first time, and it could also provide useful engineering information," said Mars 2020 Deputy Project Manager Matt Wallace of JPL. Once a mission receives preliminary approval, it must go through four rigorous technical and programmatic reviews – known as Key Decision Points (KDP) — to proceed through the phases of development prior to launch. Phase A involves concept and requirements definition, Phase B is preliminary design and technology development, Phase C is final design and fabrication, and Phase D is system assembly, testing, and launch. Mars 2020 has just passed its KDP-C milestone. "Since Mars 2020 is leveraging the design and some spare hardware from Curiosity, a significant amount of the mission's heritage components have already been built during Phases A and B,” said George Tahu, Mars 2020 program executive at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "With the KDP to enter Phase C completed, the project is proceeding with final design and construction of the new systems, as well as the rest of the heritage elements for the mission.” The Mars 2020 mission is part of NASA's Mars Exploration Program. Driven by scientific discovery, the program currently includes two active rovers and three NASA spacecraft orbiting Mars. NASA also plans to launch a stationary Mars lander in 2018, InSight, to study the deep interior of Mars. JPL manages the Mars 2020 project and the Mars Exploration Program for NASA's Science Mission Directorate in Washington. For more information about Mars 2020, visit: http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020 <http://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020>

NASA Orders Second SpaceX Crew Mission to International Space Station
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/16-080.jpg>
This artist's concept shows a SpaceX Crew Dragon docking with the International Space Station, as it will during a mission for NASA's Commercial Crew Program. NASA is partnering with Boeing and SpaceX to build a new generation of human-rated spacecraft capable of taking astronauts to the station and back to Earth, thereby expanding research opportunities in orbit.
Credits: SpaceX
 <applewebdata://DF338720-2730-4BCB-9823-818F1D57A261#>
NASA took another important step Friday in returning U.S. astronaut launches from U.S. soil with the order of a second post-certification mission from commercial provider SpaceX in Hawthorne, California. Commercial crew flights from Florida’s Space Coast to the International Space Station will restore America’s human spaceflight launch capability and increase the time U.S. crews can dedicate to scientific research, which is helping prepare astronauts for deep space missions, including the Journey to Mars. "The order of a second crew rotation mission from SpaceX, paired with the two ordered from Boeing will help ensure reliable access to the station on American spacecraft and rockets," said Kathy Lueders, manager of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program. "These systems will ensure reliable U.S. crew rotation services to the station, and will serve as a lifeboat for the space station for up to seven months.” This is the fourth and final guaranteed order NASA will make under the Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) contracts. Boeing received its two orders in May <http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/commercial-crew-milestones-met-partners-on-track-for-missions-in-2017> and December <http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-orders-second-boeing-crew-mission-to-international-space-station> of 2015, and SpaceX received its first order in November <http://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-orders-spacex-crew-mission-to-international-space-station> 2015. Both companies have started planning for, building and testing the necessary hardware and assets to carry out their first flight tests, and ultimately missions for the agency. At a later time, NASA will identify which company will fly the first post-certification mission to the space station. Each provider’s contract includes a minimum of two and a maximum potential of six missions. SpaceX met the criteria for this latest award after it successfully completed interim developmental milestones and internal design reviews for its Crew Dragon spacecraft, Falcon 9 rocket and associated ground systems. "We’re making great progress with Crew Dragon, with qualification of our docking adapter and initial acceptance testing of the pressure vessel qualification unit completed" said Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX president and chief operating officer. “We appreciate the trust NASA has placed in SpaceX with the order of another crew mission and look forward to flying astronauts from American soil next year.” SpaceX is building four Crew Dragon spacecraft at its Hawthorne facility -- two for qualification testing and two for flight tests next year. The company also is in the process of modifying Launch Pad 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, from which the company will launch future crewed missions to the space station. A standard commercial crew mission to the station will carry as many as four crew members and about 220 pounds of pressurized cargo, and remain at the station for as long as 210 days, available as an emergency lifeboat during that time. “With the commercial crew vehicles from Boeing and SpaceX, we will soon add a seventh crew member to space station missions, which will significantly increase the amount of crew time to conduct research,” said Julie Robinson, NASA’s International Space Station chief scientist. “Given the number of investigations waiting for the crew to be able to complete their research, having more crew members will enable NASA and our partners to significantly increase the important research being done every day for the benefit of all humanity.” Orders under the CCtCap contracts are made two to three years prior to actual mission dates in order to provide time for each company to manufacture and assemble the launch vehicle and spacecraft. Each company also must successfully complete a certification process before NASA will give the final approval for flight. NASA’s Commercial Crew Program manages the CCtCap contracts and is working with each company to ensure commercial transportation system designs and post-certification missions will meet the agency’s safety requirements. Activities that follow the award of missions include a series of mission-related reviews and approvals leading to launch. The program also will be involved in all operational phases of missions. For more information about NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/commercialcrew <http://www.nasa.gov/commercialcrew> & http://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew <http://blogs.nasa.gov/commercialcrew>

NASA Establishes Institute to Explore New Ways to Protect Astronauts
 <http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/iss036e006520.jpg>
Visual Impairment Intracranial Pressure (VIIP) Syndrome was identified in 2005. It is currently NASA’s leading spaceflight-related health risk, and is more predominant among men than women in space. Here, NASA astronaut Karen Nyberg of NASA uses a fundoscope to image her eye while aboard the International Space Station.
Credits: NASA
 <applewebdata://DF338720-2730-4BCB-9823-818F1D57A261#>
NASA is joining with Baylor College of Medicine in Houston to operate a new institute charged with researching and developing innovative approaches to reduce risks to humans on long-duration exploration missions, including NASA’s Journey to Mars.  Work under the Translational Research Institute Cooperative Agreement, overseen by NASA’s Human Research Program, begins Oct. 1. Translational research is an interdisciplinary model of research that focuses on translating fundamental research concepts into practice, with appreciable health outcomes. The NASA Translational Research Institute (NTRI) will implement a “bench-to-spaceflight” model, moving results or methods from laboratory experiments or clinical trials to point-of-care astronaut health and performance applications. The goal of the research is to produce promising new approaches, treatments, countermeasures or technologies that have practical application to spaceflight. “It’s fitting on the 47th anniversary of humanity’s first moon landing that we’re announcing a new human spaceflight research institute that will help reduce risks for our astronauts on the next giant leap – our Journey to Mars,” said Marshall Porterfield, NASA’s director of Space Life and Physical Sciences Research and Applications. Translational research has the potential to move solutions into practical application much faster than traditional research approaches. To that end, the NTRI will maintain research leadership in translational human performance, biomedical, environmental, and cognitive and behavioral science, and foster greater involvement of the science community in accomplishing the agency’s human exploration goals. The institute also will provide opportunities for scientists to gain experience in research laboratories, within and external to NASA, and apply their knowledge and expertise to reducing human exploration health and performance risks. Major subcontractors are the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena and Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge. Services will be performed at the Texas Medical Center Innovation Institute in Houston. The agreement has a maximum potential value of $246 million for a six-year performance period with one additional six-year period that could extend work to September 2028. For more information on NASA’s Human Research Program, go to: https://www.nasa.gov/hrp <https://www.nasa.gov/hrp> For more information about NASA’s Journey to Mars, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/journeytomars <http://www.nasa.gov/journeytomars>

The Loneliest Young Star
 <https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/pia20700.jpg>
This artist’s concept shows an unusual celestial object called CX330 was first detected as a source of X-ray light in 2009 by NASA’s Chandra X-Ray Observatory while it was surveying the bulge in the central region of the Milky Way. A 2016 study in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society found that CX330 is the most isolated young star that has been discovered. Researchers compared NASA’s Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) data from 2010 with NASA’s Spitzer Space Telescope data from 2007 to come to this conclusion. CX330 is not near any star-forming region. As of the most recent observation, which was August 2015, this object was outbursting, meaning it was launching “jets” of material that slam into the gas and dust around it. Astronomers plan to continue studying the object, including with future telescopes that could view CX330 in other wavelengths of light. For more information on WISE, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/wise <http://www.nasa.gov/wise> For more information on Spitzer, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/spitzer <http://www.nasa.gov/spitzer>

This year marks the 30th anniversary of the loss of the Challenger.

Help us honor the first Teacher-in-Space, Christa McAuliffe and the crew of the Challenger by involving your kids in the 10th annual Reach for the Stars ~ National Rocket Competition <http://www.rocketcompetition.com/>
- Deadline August 31st.

Affordable* / Hosted by you - at your location / No travel expense / Ages 10 to 18
Easy to run spot-landing competition - average of 2 launches / Closest parachute landing to a target wins!

We want to reach out to lots of kids. We hope for 1200 in every state. We can handle 12,000. We’ll settle for 12 - and will watch it grow from there.

«  Everyone involved in the RFTS Competition receives a full color certificate bearing Christa’s picture and one of her quotes.

«  The certificate background (an astronaut reaching for a star) is the artwork of astronaut and moonwalker, Alan Bean.

«  Certificates are professionally printed and ready for framing.

6 national winners will be invited to celebrate under an ‘October Sky’.

«  3 at the US Astronaut Hall of Fame / Kennedy Space Center – Visitor Complex, Cape Canaveral, Florida.

«  3 at Space Camp / US Space & Rocket Center in ‘Rocket City’ Huntsville, Alabama.
There they will launch rockets in celebration and be awarded a Space Shuttle Challenger commemorative coin with certificate signed by Challenger pilot, astronaut Jon McBride.

*FREE Launch Set ($30 value) with any group orders for the 10th RFTS Competition.

Answer the questions below - we’ll send you a ‘no obligation’ estimate.
1.  How many competitors?
2.  What age / grade?
3.  When do you want to launch?
4.  Do you have launch equipment? (launch pad and control)
5.  Are you experienced?

NOTE: If you are not hosting the event at your location – RFTS Competition is a great STEM outreach. Just forward the info to schools, Scouts and youth groups (YMCA, 4-H, Civil Air Patrol, etc.) in your area. We’ll take it from there.

Wishing you light winds on launch day.
Jack & Kathy Colpas, co-directors
Reach for the Stars ~ National Rocket Competition
STEAM - Educational Outreach (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Math)
Honoring the memory of Christa McAuliffe / 1st Teacher-in-Space

www.RocketCompetition.com <http://www.rocketcompetition.com/>       RocketCompetition at gmail.com <mailto:RocketCompetition at gmail.com>
Phone (941) 955-3958  /  Fax (206) 350-7880