[Spacetalk] NASA - Teacher Appreciation Week

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon May 4 07:04:41 CDT 2015

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a wonderful weekend and will look forward to the week ahead, of course, one day at a time. We are celebrating Teachers this week...so very important as I totally believe you have the most difficult job in the world...I spend so much time at schools, have got to know so many of you as friends, and try to find ways to support you in every way possible... I've been at schools where teachers had kids pass out, had to break up fights, wetting their pants, crying uncontrollably, dealing with bullying, so many different variables that no one notices or even thinks they occur, yet in the class room or on school grounds these can be daily occurrences when teachers must react immediately in order to protect the kids emotional and physical well-being. You have to take 20-25 students with varying backgrounds, home life, and learning ability, teach them all the same thing at the same pace, put up with parents, some micro managing everything you do others undermining your authority or not making sure their kids respect you, administrators overseeing your actions, state tests, sometimes national tests, and yet your actions influence the kids for life. You put in more hours than you ever get paid for, often spend your own money to fix up your classrooms or buy supplies, yet most think you have this "cake" 9-3 job, with so many "vacation" days and summers off...Also reposting the story about I wish my teacher knew...because it is so touching and shows the kids trust in you.... We all remember our favorite teacher and carry your lessons with us as well as the happy memories you created for us....so I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart and wish you a wonderful week with, hopefully, many celebrations, positive recognition, and love from your students...Gabe

www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/researchernews/TeacherAppreciation.html<http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/researchernews/TeacherAppreciation.html>

Teacher Appreciation Week
Since 1984, the first full week in May has been designated as Teacher Appreciation Week (TAW), a special time to honor the men and women who lend their passion and skills to educating our children. In the image above, some of the teachers, directors, parents and students gather at NASA's Langley Child Development Center (LCDC) during TAW.
Sometimes a simple thanks is all a teacher needs to feel valued. But at NASA's LCDC, all 37 teachers and staff, received many verbal tokens of appreciation and much more.
At the beginning of the week, they were given embroidered bags filled with items. On Tuesday, the LCDC PTO (Parent-Teacher Organization) coordinated a teacher appreciation breakfast and then, with a luncheon on Thursday.
Throughout the week, teachers won raffle prizes. Majority of the prizes were donated by companies local to Langley such as, Chick-Fil-A, Target, the Virginia Air and Space Center (VASC), Tropical Smoothie, Kenji Fusion, Applebees, Zilda's Brazilian Spa, Bojangles, Abuelo's Mexican Restaurant, the Peninsula Pilots, Farm Fresh, Peninsula Town Center, Jason's Deli, BD Mongolian Grill, Moe's Southwest Grill and Barnes and Noble. Community support was so great that all 29 teachers were able to receive a gift card.
After all, this national week to honor teachers is something everyone can relate to since teaching is a profession that teaches all other professions.

HEARTBREAKING: A teacher wanted to know more about her young students' lives, but she was blown away by their responses: http://abc7.ws/1DN97J8
Now she's asking other teachers to ask their students what #IWishMyTeacherKnew<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/iwishmyteacherknew> as well.

 <https://www.facebook.com/abc7chicago/photos/a.419473366161.196130.165583971161/10153315510576162/?type=1>