[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri Oct 3 07:04:10 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 Wow, what happened to this week? I've been trying to find the time to say hi and let you all know I'm thinking of you...always with a smile :) It's amazing we are in October...I love the picture below, since I stared doing the school presentations, the kids have me interested in stars....can only imagine what the astronauts see and how beautiful it is to their eyes' view....I always encourage the kids to wish on stars, (I have a very special one that shine so brightly for me)   and then set it as a goal to make it come true....because if their mind goes in that direction, they are determined, and have a purpose...chances are very good they will make that dream come true...make sure you go to NASA TV to show some of the space walk to the kids.. http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/schedule.html . I think it really helps them to see the astronauts in their space suits actually doing things in space ....I wish you a wonderful weekend but of course we must enjoy today first, equally....we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, let those we care about most know, live in the present, be appreciate of the good in our lives, smile and have fun, Gabe

  Milky Way Viewed From the International Space Station
<http://www.nasa.gov/content/milky-way-viewed-from-the-international-space-station>

NASA astronaut Reid Wiseman captured this image from the International Space Station and posted it to social media<https://twitter.com/astro_reid/status/516262431056990208> on Sept. 28, 2014, writing, "The Milky Way steals the show from Sahara sands that make the Earth glow orange."
Aboard the space station, the six-person Expedition 41 crew is currently preparing for two spacewalks<http://www.nasa.gov/content/station-crew-gears-up-for-next-week-s-spacewalk/index.html> set for Oct. 7 and 15. During the first six-and-a-half-hour spacewalk, slated to begin on Oct. 7 around 8:10 a.m. EDT, Wiseman and European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst will transfer a previously uninstalled pump module from its temporary stowage location to the External Stowage Platform-2. The two spacewalkers also will install the Mobile Transporter Relay Assembly that adds the capability to provide "keep-alive" power to the system that moves the station's robotic arm between worksites. NASA astronaut Barry Wilmore will join Wiseman for the second Expedition 41 spacewalk on Oct. 15.

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/flying-through-an-aurora>

Flying Through an Aurora
European Space Agency astronaut Alexander Gerst posted this photograph taken from the International Space Station to social media<https://twitter.com/Astro_Alex/status/505282945272524800> on Aug. 29, 2014, writing, "words can't describe how it feels flying through an #aurora. I wouldn't even know where to begin...."
Crewmembers on the space station photograph the Earth<http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/86.html> from their unique point of view located 200 miles above the surface. Photographs record how the planet is changing over time, from human-caused changes like urban growth and reservoir construction, to natural dynamic events such as hurricanes, floods and volcanic eruptions. Crewmembers have been photographing Earth from space since the early Mercury missions beginning in 1961. The continuous images taken from the space station ensure this record remains unbroken.

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/delta-iv-heavy-rocket-rolls-to-launch-pad-for-orions-first-flight-test/index.html>
Rocket Rolls to Launch Pad for Orion's First Flight Test
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/delta-iv-heavy-rocket-rolls-to-launch-pad-for-orions-first-flight-test/index.html>
The United Launch Alliance Delta IV Heavy rocket for Exploration Flight Test-1 rolled out of the Horizontal Integration Facility near Space Launch Complex 37 in the evening of Sept. 30, and made the trek to the launch pad at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The rocket was carried to the launch complex by an Elevating Platform Transporter. Orion's first flight test is scheduled for Dec. 4. The spacecraft will travel 3,600 miles in altitude above the Earth and return home at speeds of 20,000 miles per hour.
<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/news/mars-rover-technology-adapted-to-detect-gas-leaks/index.html>
Mars Rover Technology Adapted to Detect Gas Leaks
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/news/mars-rover-technology-adapted-to-detect-gas-leaks/index.html>
In collaboration with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) announced that it is testing state-of-the-art technology adapted from NASA's Mars rover program. Originally designed to find methane on the Red Planet, this laser-based technology is lightweight and has superior sensitivity to methane, a major component of natural gas. The technology applied back on Earth helps guide PG&E crews using a tablet interface to identify possible leak locations, fast-tracking their ability to repair gas leaks.