[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri May 2 06:41:16 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a great week, I know many of you are finishing up State testing while others still have it to complete....it's such a difficult time for you and the kids, it sure seems like there shouldn't be so much pressure....we really get to do some interesting things here, like the testing of the Morpheus Lander which we see every couple of weeks  and yesterday I was in a cool place called the Regolith Bin, designed to test vehicles in a fine dust environment, like the Moon or Mars. This is such an amazing place...to me, it isn't what we do individually here, it is everything that is going on around us...the shuttle launches, although no longer  occurring are brought back in our memory by the surroundings and, hopefully, astronauts launching from KSC sometime in the future.  Also see the link below which I think is so important as it brings the ARTS into the Space Program which helps to promote  STEAM: Science, Technology, Engineering, ARTS, & Mathematics for kids with of all interests...wishing you a wonderful day and weekend ahead....we have to be sure to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, be appreciative of the good in our lives, keep things in perspective, smile & have fun! gabe
Go to the subject link for all the latest info...

Texas Music Students to Perform Live with Space Station Astronaut<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNDI5LjMxNzE5OTcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDQyOS4zMTcxOTk3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2ODY3OTUxJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/april/texas-music-students-to-perform-live-with-space-station-astronaut> Expedition 39 commander Koichi Wakata of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, currently aboard the International Space Station, will make space-to-Earth musical connections with students in Texas this week to share and explore the relationship between the arts and space exploration.

Videos of 'morpheus lander'<http://nasasearch.nasa.gov/search/news/videos?affiliate=nasa&m=false&query=morpheus+lander>
 <http://www.nasa.gov/larc/alhat-completes-tethered-tests>

Regolith Bin

[X]
KSC Employee Publication:
New Spaceport Magazine Available Online Today

The second edition of Spaceport Magazine covers a myriad of topics. SpaceX Dragon spacecraft launches and delivers cargo to the International Space Station; Firing Room 4 in the Launch Control Center undergoes major metamorphosis; NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025; Jessica Parsons is honored for her engineering prowess; ancient creatures on the prowl amid rockets, space-age facilities; and 55 years ago, the Original Seven were chosen.

You can also read these stories and more using the digital newsstand<http://issuu.com/spaceportmagazine/docs/spaceport_magazine_-_may_2014> or via the .pdf at, Spaceport Magazine<http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/may2014v2.pdf>, out today.

To view past issues of Spaceport Magazine online, go to http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/spaceport-magazine.html.

<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/msl/martian-sandstone-dust-removal-20140429/index.html>
Target on Mars Looks Good for NASA Rover Drilling
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/msl/martian-sandstone-dust-removal-20140429/index.html>
NASA's Curiosity Mars rover performed a "mini-drill" operation Tuesday, April 29, on the rock target under consideration for the mission's third sample-collection drilling. This preparatory activity produced a hole about eight-tenths of an inch (2 centimeters) deep, as planned, in the target called "Windjana." The rover team plans to decide whether to proceed with deeper drilling of this rock in coming days.

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-s-next-prototype-spacesuit-has-a-brand-new-look-and-it-s-all-thanks-to-you/index.html>
NASA's Next Prototype Spacesuit Has a Brand New Look
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-s-next-prototype-spacesuit-has-a-brand-new-look-and-it-s-all-thanks-to-you/index.html>
With 233,431 votes, the "Technology" option has won NASA's Z-2 Spacesuit design challenge with just over 63% of the total vote. This design now will be incorporated into the final version of the suit, which is expected to be ready for testing by November 2014. NASA's Z-2 suit is the newest prototype in its next-generation spacesuit platform, the Z-series. With the agency laser focused on a path to Mars, work to develop the technologies astronauts one day will use to live and work on Mars has already begun.

<http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-craft-will-be-americas-first-space-lifeboat-in-40-years/index.html>
New Craft Will Be First U.S. Space Lifeboat in 40 Years
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-craft-will-be-americas-first-space-lifeboat-in-40-years/index.html>
The next generation of American spacecraft designed to carry people into low-Earth orbit will be required to function as a lifeboat for the International Space Station for up to seven months. Like a lifeboat on a cruise ship, the spacecraft is not expected to be called into service to quickly evacuate people, but it has to be ready for that job just in case.