[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Mon Jun 23 06:21:25 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope everything is going great and you are enjoying the official start of summer....:-) it is certainly beautiful here, even with afternoon thunderstorms, which may irritate some but we always need the rain so I think the tradeoff is definitely in our favor plus it makes everything look so green, pretty, and alive... I wonder how those of you in summer school are doing? I would think in some ways it must be difficult for everyone as I can't imagine very many kids want to be there and I know most teachers really look forward to the break away from the classroom but also know we all have to generate an income...I just hope it is going well for you....staying busy at work, still trying to catch up from missing so much work time with school visits, trying to save vacation for the next school year, and just having fun.....I wish you all a wonderful day and week ahead...of course, one day at a time...we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, smile & have fun! Gabe

This Week @ NASA, June 20, 2014<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNjIwLjMzMjg5MDUxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDYyMC4zMzI4OTA1MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTAxOTk4JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/this-week-nasa-june-20-2014>

Maybe something you can use in your class, if time permits...
 <http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forkids/kidsclub/flash/index.html>
> Explore the Kids Club<http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forkids/kidsclub/flash/index.html>
> Students<http://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstudents/index.html> | > Educators<http://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/index.html>
> Summer of Innovation<http://www.nasa.gov/offices/education/programs/national/summer/home/index.html>

<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/june/nasa-announces-latest-progress-upcoming-milestones-in-hunt-for-asteroids/index.html>
NASA Announces Progress in Hunt for Asteroids
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/june/nasa-announces-latest-progress-upcoming-milestones-in-hunt-for-asteroids/index.html>
NASA is on the hunt for an asteroid to capture with a robotic spacecraft, redirect to a stable orbit around the moon, and send astronauts to study in the 2020s -- all on the agency's human Path to Mars. Agency officials announced recent progress to identify candidate asteroids for its Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM), increase public participation in the search for asteroids, and advance the mission's design.
> News release<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/june/nasa-announces-latest-progress-upcoming-milestones-in-hunt-for-asteroids/>
> Asteroid Grand Challenge Virtual Workshop<http://www.nasa.gov/content/asteroid-grand-challenge-first-anniversary/>
<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/comet-20140619/index.html>
Rosetta Closing in on Comet
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/rosetta/comet-20140619/index.html>
Less than half the distance between Earth and moon separates Rosetta from its destination, comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The European Space Agency's (ESA) spacecraft will become the first to orbit a comet and land a probe on its nucleus. It is beginning observations and sending science data back to Earth. Recent images from Rosetta's Onboard Scientific Imaging System (OSIRIS) indicate that the comet is currently at rest -- no longer showing signs of an extended dust coma surrounding its nucleus
<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/oco2/quikscat-rapidscat-20140619/index.html>
Scatterometer to Watch Ocean Winds From Space
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/oco2/quikscat-rapidscat-20140619/index.html>
June 19 marked the 15th anniversary of the launch of NASA's QuikScat, a satellite sent for a three-year mission in 1999 that continues collecting data. On this anniversary, the mission's team is preparing to calibrate ISS-RapidScat, the successor that will maintain QuikScat's unbroken data record. After its launch in a few months, RapidScat will watch ocean winds from the International

Storm Cell Over the Southern Appalachian Mountains<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNjE5LjMzMjMzNzQxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDYxOS4zMzIzMzc0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTAwNTk0JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/storm-cell-over-the-southern-appalachian-mountains>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/dsc_2303_0.jpg?itok=Swiit8nu]
This storm cell photo was taken from NASA's high-altitude ER-2 aircraft during a study aimed at gaining a better understanding of precipitation over mountainous terrain. The Integrated Precipitation and Hydrology Experiment, or IPHEx, field campaign is part of the ground validation effort for the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) mission, an international satellite mission led by NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. GPM's Core Observatory launched Feb. 27, 2014, to provide next-generation observations of rain and snow worldwide every three hours. But to get accurate measurements from space, scientists have to understand what is happening on the ground. For the six-week IPHEx field campaign over the southern Appalachian mountains, the NASA team and their partners at Duke University and NOAA's Hydrometeorological Test Bed set up ground stations with rain gauges and ground radar throughout western North Carolina. In addition to the ground sites, they also collected data sets from satellites and two aircraft. The NASA ER-2 aircraft that deployed to Robins Air Force Base in Warner Robins, Georgia, was able to fly when rain was in the air. The ER-2's cruising altitude of 65,000 feet kept it well above the storm systems it was observing, allowing it to act as a proxy-satellite. The aircraft carried a suite of instruments, including three that took measurements similar to those taken by GPM's Core Observatory. > Read more > Earth Right Now Image Credit: NASA / Stu Broce

.

Phytoplankton Bloom Off the Coast of Iceland<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwNjIwLjMzMjc1NTAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDYyMC4zMzI3NTUwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTAxNjMxJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/phytoplankton-bloom-off-the-coast-of-iceland>
06/20/2014 12:00 PM EDT
[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/image06182014_250m.jpg?itok=d9gN8teE]
A spring bloom of phytoplankton lingered in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Iceland in early June, 2014. The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) aboard NASA's Aqua satellite captured this true-color image on June 5. At that time, swirling jewel tones of a vast bloom were visible between banks of white clouds. According to the Icelandic Ministry of Fisheries and Agriculture, phytoplankton blooms around Iceland usually occur in early spring and fall. The spring bloom is driven by longer daylight and the warming of surface layers. This leads to stratification of the waters, and allows the phytoplankton to stay in the surface layer and reproduce. By summer the huge numbers of phytoplankton in the blooms decreases nutrients, and the numbers of the organisms begins to plummet. Image Credit: NASA/Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Land Rapid Response Team, NASA GSFC