[Spacetalk] NORWAY

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Wed Feb 26 06:35:52 CST 2014

Good morning all,
 The time is really winding down,  I leave on Friday for Norway....it is still so hard to believe...last year, out of the blue, a dear friend asked me to accompany a small group of exchange students to their sister school in Norway....I would have never thought leaving Florida in March to go to Norway would be a good thing but I had the most wonderful time, made so many friends with the kids and it was such a fun time. I have stayed in touch with many of the kids and have an opportunity to not only go back to Oslo but also to Suldal and Tromso...I'm hoping to see many of the kids from last year too...it will be a crazy trip, nonstop and I know full of adventures, including a dog sled excursion and opportunities to see the Northern Lights...It is still strange for me to comprehend that I am doing so much with the schools and how great it is to be around the kids....I leave Friday morning and Thursday night I will be at Howard Middle school talking with the kids and their parents about the events of 9/11..the school is planning a trip to the World Trade Center Site and since I have a very good friend, Paulette, who goes to the school we thought it might help the kids to personalize the visit by knowing someone who experienced it firsthand... I've only ever told the story of my brother once so it will be a little different but I hope the kids will go there with knowledge that there are real people there and it will be more meaningful for them.....and of course my brother, Rich, will have some new friends to talk with....
 no, have not begun to pack... :) also still have not had a chance to go through this new site and respond to many inquires...I will do that tonight as well as add any who should have been added...if this works well, I will try to give an update or two from Norway....wishing you all a wonderful day....we have to remember to live in the present, always do our best, be thankful for the good in our lives, smile and have fun.....Gabe...
my niece, Heather,  had her first Chemo treatment on Friday and seems to be doing well...she slept all weekend and went back to work on Monday, she just started battling Pancreatic cancer... she is determined, is a fighter, and will maintain as normal a life as possible...we are all encouraging her to keep her strength up and stay angry at this disease so she can fight it every step of the way.....I know so many of you have had similar experiences and that is why I always say we have to be appreciative of the good in our lives and never take it for granted...

This Week @ NASA, February 21, 2014<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwMjIxLjI5MTk0NjYxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDIyMS4yOTE5NDY2MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTY2NDU1JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/this-week-nasa-february-21-2014>

The Shocking Behavior of a Speedy Star<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwMjIxLjI5MTc0NDAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDIyMS4yOTE3NDQwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTY2MTA2JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/the-shocking-behavior-of-a-speedy-star>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/pia17843bowshock_0_0.jpg?itok=Qv5sxuAt]
Roguish runaway stars can have a big impact on their surroundings as they plunge through the Milky Way galaxy. Their high-speed encounters shock the galaxy, creating arcs, as seen in this newly released image from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope. In this case, the speedster star is known as Kappa Cassiopeiae, or HD 2905 to astronomers. It is a massive, hot supergiant moving at around 2.5 million mph relative to its neighbors (1,100 kilometers per second). But what really makes the star stand out in this image is the surrounding, streaky red glow of material in its path. Such structures are called bow shocks, and they can often be seen in front of the fastest, most massive stars in the galaxy. Bow shocks form where the magnetic fields and wind of particles flowing off a star collide with the diffuse, and usually invisible, gas and dust that fill the space between stars. How these shocks light up tells astronomers about the conditions around the star and in space. Slow-moving stars like our sun have bow shocks that are nearly invisible at all wavelengths of light, but fast stars like Kappa Cassiopeiae create shocks that can be seen by Spitzer's infrared detectors. > More information

Astronaut John H. Glenn Jr. With Mercury "Friendship 7" Spacecraft<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwMjIwLjI5MTE2NjAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDIyMC4yOTExNjYwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTY1MDQ5JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/astronaut-john-h-glenn-jr-with-mercury-friendship-7-spacecraft>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/62ma6-55.jpg?itok=4XvNqgl2]
Astronaut John H. Glenn Jr., pilot of the Mercury Atlas 6 (MA-6) spaceflight, poses for a photo with the Mercury "Friendship 7" spacecraft during preflight activities. On Feb. 20, 1962, Glenn piloted the Mercury-Atlas 6 "Friendship 7" spacecraft on the first manned orbital mission of the United States. Launched from Kennedy Space Center, Fla., he completed a successful three-orbit mission around the earth, reaching a maximum altitude (apogee) of approximately 162 statute miles and an orbital velocity of approximately 17,500 miles per hour. Glenn's "Friendship 7" Mercury spacecraft landed approximately 800 miles southeast of KSC in the vicinity of Grand Turk Island. Mission duration from launch to impact was 4 hours, 55 minutes, and 23 seconds. Image Credit: NASA

Global Precipitation Measurement Mission Launch Site at JAXA's Tanegashima Space Center<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwMjI0LjI5MjYxMjkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDIyNC4yOTI2MTI5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTY4MjkwJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/global-precipitation-measurement-mission-launch-site-at-jaxas-tanegashima-space-center>
02/24/2014 11:00 AM EST
[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/12691701224_7587613ded_o.jpg?itok=skqiF3aI]
The launch pads at the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's (JAXA) Tanegashima Space Center on Tanegashima Island, Japan are seen on Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, a week ahead of the planned launch of an H-IIA rocket carrying the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Core Observatory. GPM is an international mission led by NASA and JAXA to measure rain and snowfall over most of the globe multiple times a day. To get that worldwide view of precipitation, multiple satellites will be contributing observations for a global data set, all unified by the advanced measurements of GPM's Core Observatory, built at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. Launch of the GPM Core Observatory from Tanegashima Space Center is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 27 during a window beginning at 1:07 p.m. EST (3:07 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 28 Japan time). > Read more Image Credit: NASA/Bill Ingalls

<http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/feb24-2014.pdf>
[X]
KSC Employee Publication:
New Spaceport News Available Online Today
Orion recovery tests performed off California's coast; Lockheed Martin's Larry Price says Orion on track for EFT-1; Emergency Response Team earns a top five in an international SWAT contest; Mobile Launcher strengthened for next generation; and a quick-thinking telemetry fix preserved the TDRS-L launch.

These and other stories are in the latest issue of Spaceport News<http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/files/feb24-2014.pdf>, out today. To view past issues online, go to http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/news/snews/spnews_toc.html.

POC: Frank Ochoa-Gonzales, 867-2814 or Frank.Ochoa-Gonzales at nasa.gov<mailto:Frank.Ochoa-Gonzales at nasa.gov>

First Moments of a Solar Flare in Different Wavelengths of Light<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwMjI1LjI5MzEzNTMxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDIyNS4yOTMxMzUzMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3OTY5MjU1JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/first-moments-of-a-solar-flare-in-different-wavelengths-of-light>
02/25/2014 11:00 AM EST
[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/multi_wavelength_feb_25_pre-flare_1.jpg?itok=leV_n8yJ]
On Feb. 24, 2014, the sun emitted a significant solar flare, peaking at 7:49 p.m. EST. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO), which keeps a constant watch on the sun, captured images of the event. These SDO images from 7:25 p.m. EST on Feb. 24 show the first moments of this X-class flare in different wavelengths of light -- seen as the bright spot that appears on the left limb of the sun. Hot solar material can be seen hovering above the active region in the sun's atmosphere, the corona. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation, appearing as giant flashes of light in the SDO images. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel. > Read more Image Credit: NASA/SDO