[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 3 09:16:22 CST 2014

Good morning all,
 Everything has been kind of crazy here....tomorrow morning is a big event at the Space Center...the test launch of the Orion capsule which NASA is saying, the next big step to moving forward with trips to the moon, asteroids, and eventually Mars...it will be  a Delta 4, heavy lift rocket so it should be a great launch...go to the subject link for all the updates and NASA TV schedule...I know it is early for schools here but they will replay it many times and hopefully you can share it with the kids....I hope to have some good pictures....Friday I leave for Norway...it should be way fun as the Christmas season will have everything decorated and a very festive time...looking forward to seeing so many of the kids from last March...and meeting new ones, also see very good friends and having fun in the snow!!!! See the attached power point as to what happens when you have a buddy who had to do a safety briefing and has access to photos from my first trip to Norway...I would like to add, the hill was allot steeper than it looks in these pictures :) Have great day, we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, smile & have fun!!! Gabe

<http://blogs.nasa.gov/orion/>
Review 'Go' to Proceed Toward Orion Launch
 <http://blogs.nasa.gov/orion/>
At the Launch Readiness Review for Orion's flight test, designated Exploration Flight Test-1, managers from United Launch Alliance (ULA) and Lockheed Martin gave a "go" to proceed toward launch pending completion of open work. The weather is forecast to be 60 percent "go" for a scheduled liftoff at 7:05 a.m. EST on Thursday, Dec. 4. ULA's Delta IV Heavy rocket will launch Orion on its two orbit, 4.5 hour flight test from Space Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
<http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-orion-flight-test-and-the-journey-to-mars/index.html>
NASA's Orion Flight Test and the Journey to Mars
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-orion-flight-test-and-the-journey-to-mars/index.html>
Astronauts destined to be the first people to walk on Mars will leave Earth aboard an Orion spacecraft. Carried aloft by a Space Launch System rocket, our explorers will begin their Journey to Mars from NASA's Kennedy Space Center, carrying the spirit of humanity with them to the Red Planet. Orion's first flight test is scheduled for Dec. 4, 2014.

> NASA's Journey to Mars<http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars/>
> Orion Poised for First Trip to Space<http://www.nasa.gov/content/orion-poised-for-first-trip-to-space/>
<http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/orionfirstflight/>
Special Feature: Orion's First Flight Test
 <http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/orionfirstflight/>
Orion's first flight test is expected to be one for the books: the first mission since Apollo to carry a spacecraft built for humans to deep space, the first time NASA's next-generation spacecraft is tested against the challenges of space, and the first operational test of a heat shield strong enough to protect against 4,000-degree temperatures. Take a look at NASA's special feature on Orion's first flight.<http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/orionfirstflight/>
<http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/keck/stardust-not-likely-to-block-planet-portraits/index.html>
Stardust Not Likely to Block Planet Portraits
 <http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/keck/stardust-not-likely-to-block-planet-portraits/index.html>
Planet hunters received some good news recently. A new study concluded that, on average, sun-like stars aren't all that dusty. Less dust means better odds of snapping clear pictures of the stars' planets in the future.

These results come from surveying nearly 50 stars from 2008 to 2011 using the Keck Interferometer, a former NASA key science project that combined the power of the twin W. M. Keck Observatory telescopes atop Mauna Kea, Hawaii.
<http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-display-counts-down-for-new-generation/index.html>
New Countdown Display at Kennedy Space Center
 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-display-counts-down-for-new-generation/index.html>
The new generation of human space exploration spacecraft is getting a new generation clock to count it down for launch on December 4. The new forms of both the spacecraft and clock and clock will look familiar, but carry substantial changes and are run by modern technology. The new version of the countdown display is far more capable and boasts technology more akin to a stadium television than a simple wristwatch.

 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasas-journey-to-mars>
NASA's Journey to Mars
NASA is developing the capabilities needed to send humans to an asteroid by 2025 and Mars ...