[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 29 06:25:22 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you have had a great week and are pretty much settled into the school year, although I believe there are still a few schools that won't start back until after Monday...time is going so fast, for me, it is really difficult to comprehend...everything is going great here, still scheduling school visits so please let me know if you would like me to visit your school as I am trying to sort out a schedule...just some added info on The New Horizon's Mission to Pluto...click on the link below, it will take you to some additional info with short movies to show the kids as most seem very interested in Pluto....wishing you a fun and safe Labor Day Weekend. We have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, live in the present, make each day special, be appreciative of the good in our lives, smile & have fun, :)  gabe

NASA's New Horizons Spacecraft Crosses Neptune Orbit En Route to Historic Pluto Encounter<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODI1LjM1MzI2ODcxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgyNS4zNTMyNjg3MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQyNDI1JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/august/nasa-s-new-horizons-spacecraft-crosses-neptune-orbit-en-route-to-historic-pluto> NASA's Pluto-bound New Horizons spacecraft has traversed the orbit of Neptune. This is its last major crossing en route to becoming the first probe to make a close encounter with distant Pluto on July 14, 2015.

Solar Dynamics Observatory Captures Images of a Late Summer Flare<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODI2LjM1MzUxOTkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgyNi4zNTM1MTk5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQyOTAwJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/content/solar-dynamics-observatory-captures-images-of-a-late-summer-flare>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/20140824_0304_171.jpg?itok=Sb5Pr4Fe]
On Aug. 24, 2014, the sun emitted a mid-level solar flare, peaking at 8:16 a.m. EDT. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory captured images of the flare, which erupted on the left side of the sun. Solar flares are powerful bursts of radiation. Harmful radiation from a flare cannot pass through Earth's atmosphere to physically affect humans on the ground, however -- when intense enough -- they can disturb the atmosphere in the layer where GPS and communications signals travel. This flare is classified as an M5 flare. M-class flares are ten times less powerful than the most intense flares, called X-class flares. Image Credit: NASA/SDO

Artist Concept: Space Launch System Takes Flight<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODI4LjM1NDQwNzAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgyOC4zNTQ0MDcwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQ0MzM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/sls/multimedia/gallery/sls-through-clouds.html>

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/sls-70mt-sls-dac3-through-clouds-cam-az_uhr2.jpg?itok=kUG3zRaq]
Artist concept of NASA's Space Launch System (SLS) 70-metric-ton configuration launching to space. SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever built for deep space missions, including to an asteroid and ultimately to Mars. The first SLS mission -- Exploration Mission 1 -- will launch an uncrewed Orion spacecraft to a stable orbit beyond the moon and bring it back to Earth to demonstrate the integrated system performance of the SLS rocket and Orion spacecraft's re-entry and landing prior to a crewed flight. Image credit: NASA/MSFC > Read press release

<http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/august/nasas-spitzer-telescope-witnesses-asteroid-smashup/index.html>
Spitzer Telescope Witnesses Asteroid Smashup
 <http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/august/nasas-spitzer-telescope-witnesses-asteroid-smashup/index.html>
NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has spotted an eruption of dust around a young star, possibly the result of a smashup between large asteroids. Scientists had been regularly tracking the star, called NGC 2547-ID8, when it surged with a huge amount of fresh dust between August 2012 and January 2013. While dusty aftermaths of suspected asteroid collisions have been observed by Spitzer before, this is the first time scientists have collected data before and after a planetary system smashup.

 <http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/researchers-use-nasa-and-other-data-to-look-into-the-heart-of-a-solar-storm/index.html>
A space weather storm from the sun engulfed our planet on Jan. 21, 2005. The event got its start on Jan. 20, when a cloud of solar material, a coronal mass ejection or CME, burst off the sun and headed toward Earth. Janet Kozyra, a space scientist at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, thought this intriguing combination of a simultaneously weak and strong solar storm deserved further scrutiny.