[Spacetalk] http://www.nasa.gov/

Gabrielle, George F. (KSC-ISC-4011)[URS Federal Technical Services, Inc.] george.f.gabrielle at nasa.gov
Fri Aug 22 08:19:37 CDT 2014

Good morning all,
 I hope you had a wonderful week, will enjoy today, and take the weekend to relax any way you choose....well most of you have completed your first full week, I'm so happy to say that Pam, who had the huge task of initiating the STEM program for her whole school, 1-5, says it went very well and anticipates building an even more positive program as so many of her students enjoyed the new class so much, (for Danine & John, she will email you as soon as she gets a few minutes)..not that I doubted her ability to do this for one second but understand her anxiety of starting something new with so many eyes ready to criticize...I know so many of you who are such wonderful teachers, give so much of yourselves and sincerely have the best interest of your students at heart, it really frustrates me when I hear others bad mouthing the school system and teachers in general...when I defend you, I am often told the teachers I see are "different" while the rest are just going through the motions....I do not believe this for one second but when someone, for whatever reason has formed a negative opinion, there is often little anyone can say to change them...I still voice my disagreement but will usually just move on as there is nothing I can do to change it but I will always be thankful for what you do, the way you do it, and how little you ask in return. Wishing you a wonderful day, we have to remember to always do our best, enjoy everything we do, be thankful for the good in our lives, keep things in perspective, make each day special, smile & have fun! gabe

NASA TV to Air Events That Highlight Pluto-Bound Spacecraft<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODIxLjM1MjI1NTgxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgyMS4zNTIyNTU4MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQwMjM5JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/august/nasa-tv-to-air-events-that-highlight-pluto-bound-spacecraft> Media and the public are invited to attend two events Monday, Aug. 25 from 1-3 p.m. EDT to learn more about the agency's New Horizons mission to Pluto and its historic connection to the Voyager spacecraft's visit to Neptune in 1989.

SWE-SC: Wow! That's Engineering Workshop For anyone who may be in this area...
Girls can become engineers, too! This workshop will provide girls, seventh to tenth grades, with opportunities to do fun hands-on experiments related to several different engineering career fields. They also will be able to find out what different types of engineers do and will meet women engineers who will talk about how they became engineers. We also need volunteers to help with modules and other activities the day of the event.
   When: Saturday, Sept. 27, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
   Where: Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy, 5625 Holy Trinity Drive, Melbourne
The cost is $25 and includes lunch, drink, snack, shirt and supplies. Registration now is open at http://www.swe-sc.org/WOW for both students and volunteers. Student registrations must be postmarked by Wednesday, Sept. 17. (Registration may close earlier if we reach our maximum capacity.)
POC: Adia Griffin, wowvolunteers at swe-sc.org<mailto:wowvolunteers at swe-sc.org> or outreach at swe-sc.org<mailto:outreach at swe-sc.org>

Supernova Seen In Two Lights<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODIxLjM1MjI1NTkxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgyMS4zNTIyNTU5MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTQwMjQxJmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/spitzer/chandra/pia18468> remember when you look at the description a light year is 6 trillion miles or 10 trillion kilometers

[http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/styles/946xvariable_height/public/pia18468.jpg?itok=B0cADGel]
The destructive results of a mighty supernova explosion reveal themselves in a delicate blend of infrared and X-ray light, as seen in this image from NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope and Chandra X-Ray Observatory, and the European Space Agency's XMM-Newton. The bubbly cloud is an irregular shock wave, generated by a supernova that would have been witnessed on Earth 3,700 years ago. The remnant itself, called Puppis A, is around 7,000 light-years away, and the shock wave is about 10 light-years across. The pastel hues in this image reveal that the infrared and X-ray structures trace each other closely. Warm dust particles are responsible for most of the infrared light wavelengths, assigned red and green colors in this view. Material heated by the supernova's shock wave emits X-rays, which are colored blue. Regions where the infrared and X-ray emissions blend together take on brighter, more pastel tones. The shock wave appears to light up as it slams into surrounding clouds of dust and gas that fill the interstellar space in this region. >From the infrared glow, astronomers have found a total quantity of dust in the region equal to about a quarter of the mass of our sun. Data collected from Spitzer's infrared spectrograph reveal how the shock wave is breaking apart the fragile dust grains that fill the surrounding space. Supernova explosions forge the heavy elements that can provide the raw material from which future generations of stars and planets will form. Studying how supernova remnants expand into the galaxy and interact with other material provides critical clues into our own origins. Infrared data from Spitzer's multiband imaging photometer (MIPS) at wavelengths of 24 and 70 microns are rendered in green and red. X-ray data from XMM-Newton spanning an energy range of 0.3 to 8 kiloelectron volts are shown in blue. Credit: NASA/ESA/JPL-Caltech/GSFC/IAFE

NASA Announces Mars 2020 Rover Payload to Explore the Red Planet as Never Before<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTQwODE0LjM1MDI3OTAxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDE0MDgxNC4zNTAyNzkwMSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE2OTM1OTQ5JmVtYWlsaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZ1c2VyaWQ9Z2VvcmdlLmdhYnJpZWxsZS0xQGtzYy5uYXNhLmdvdiZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.nasa.gov/press/2014/july/nasa-announces-mars-2020-rover-payload-to-explore-the-red-planet-as-never-before> The NASA Mars Rover 2020 will carry instruments to conduct unprecedented science and exploration technology investigations on the Red Planet.

  [http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/90.jpg]

URGENT!
VOTE for Think Global Flight
  &
Be eligible to
win a Lightspeed Zulu Headset!

   CLICK HERE TO VOTE  <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ih11NsLB9MP1GqyuTaaLANVy0SQ7nYCfGhrXHWmytkCXO4upNTqBlfxSFzZ3_qQGOBc5N6DRcED-hFtWhj1TSvJxuQICazPsB2abXzDCgcGbU-WyquawYSwYiXcX0R3qHqXI74LBH1EauiUzFcPqz4WOpjDGXdTgJbDZ5R09U0AsqtOKJmY1gZ9VdQI_FHYoTN6xOWZk0uwH4oVJv77cZy9FWG3IZQcYBrJKtgk7QTsdeP_2aRO9cBCTp5zaEHcSahAopfNXE5U_zoNoMwnDLCDxWwofj3bVLBj3KEwkCgg=&c=GIznYYb5D6lsc5lppYbGxaFnoi94sMA5Zn7K3OiyxB4ftZ95pmvnHg==&ch=y79F6pXW1o2HuU7qRkzCzlOxHgw-SqtWB_mt1_i_0RKclcLQ8ajAqw==>

Greetings!
ALL funds go directly toward education!
Your vote in the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation Pilot's Choice Awards will support Think Global Flight to receive up to $10,000 enabling them to continue outreach to over 20,000.

We appreciate your VOTE of confidence so much that Think Global Flight will enter you to win a Lightspeed Zulu Headset!  To be eligible, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ih11NsLB9MP1GqyuTaaLANVy0SQ7nYCfGhrXHWmytkCXO4upNTqBlfxSFzZ3_qQGOBc5N6DRcED-hFtWhj1TSvJxuQICazPsB2abXzDCgcGbU-WyquawYSwYiXcX0R3qHqXI74LBH1EauiUzFcPqz4WOpjDGXdTgJbDZ5R09U0AsqtOKJmY1gZ9VdQI_FHYoTN6xOWZk0uwH4oVJv77cZy9FWG3IZQcYBrJKtgk7QTsdeP_2aRO9cBCTp5zaEHcSahAopfNXE5U_zoNoMwnDLCDxWwofj3bVLBj3KEwkCgg=&c=GIznYYb5D6lsc5lppYbGxaFnoi94sMA5Zn7K3OiyxB4ftZ95pmvnHg==&ch=y79F6pXW1o2HuU7qRkzCzlOxHgw-SqtWB_mt1_i_0RKclcLQ8ajAqw==> and vote now!
*       Think Global Flight, an around the world flight of adventure promoting education and inspiring students
*       Reaching over 20,000 students in 25 countries and 31 U.S. States
*       Recognized by the FAA and U.S. Department of Education for real world application to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (S.T.E.M.)
*       Tax deductible, non profit, 501c3, all staff are volunteers, including the flight crew
Click Here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ih11NsLB9MP1GqyuTaaLANVy0SQ7nYCfGhrXHWmytkCXO4upNTqBlbhN-aWd00htue0oVt7sd3ZABjnRRDCcV1aKoHZ19BCUw_sCqMeVt2qD74a5CwpSNruaNt45Pb92Itxnlymkd1k4B4eSg4ezf_URLNIBcfwUu-Er0NkDDwNlvmxmY-3g0Q==&c=GIznYYb5D6lsc5lppYbGxaFnoi94sMA5Zn7K3OiyxB4ftZ95pmvnHg==&ch=y79F6pXW1o2HuU7qRkzCzlOxHgw-SqtWB_mt1_i_0RKclcLQ8ajAqw==> to watch TGF Lightspeed Video
 VOTE NOW!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001ih11NsLB9MP1GqyuTaaLANVy0SQ7nYCfGhrXHWmytkCXO4upNTqBlfxSFzZ3_qQGOBc5N6DRcED-hFtWhj1TSvJxuQICazPsB2abXzDCgcGbU-WyquawYSwYiXcX0R3qHqXI74LBH1EauiUzFcPqz4WOpjDGXdTgJbDZ5R09U0AsqtOKJmY1gZ9VdQI_FHYoTN6xOWZk0uwH4oVJv77cZy9FWG3IZQcYBrJKtgk7QTsdeP_2aRO9cBCTp5zaEHcSahAopfNXE5U_zoNoMwnDLCDxWwofj3bVLBj3KEwkCgg=&c=GIznYYb5D6lsc5lppYbGxaFnoi94sMA5Zn7K3OiyxB4ftZ95pmvnHg==&ch=y79F6pXW1o2HuU7qRkzCzlOxHgw-SqtWB_mt1_i_0RKclcLQ8ajAqw==>
Thank you

c[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/260.jpg]

Chicago, IL United Airlines Ops Tour with Student Command Center Scouts

[http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs191/1113364046546/img/263.jpg]

Mesa, AZ Student Command Center